Sunday, November 18, 2012

Disabled Vets and A Christmas Card

OK… this one is a tear jerker… LOL, not the Christmas card but the post.   So you’ve been warned!

For many years, we have contributed to the Disabled American Veterans.  Our dear and deceased vet and friend Donald Landzberger first introduced us to the DAV back in the mid-80’s.  A disabled vet himself, he shared may holiday dinners with us when we resided in the Pocono Mountains. 

Most recently, our son served in the USAF and was injured in a pre-deployment exercise which ultimately ended his career.  Sadly, he is still unemployed near Hill AFB in Utah.

So.. when this year’s DAV Christmas envelope arrived in the mail, I opened it to find the usual return address labels and stuff…. but between the pages a small card and poem were found that I’d love to share with all of you today.  Be fore-warned, it’s a tear jerker!!  1.dryersheetandencoreinklovelyasatreecard

The following poem arrived in my DAV pledge mail and was written by Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt… This Christmas Poem stabbed my heart deeply.

Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,

in a one bedroom house made of plaster and stone.

I had come down the chimney with presents to give,

and to see just who in this home did live.

I looked all about,a stranger sight I did see,
no tionsel, no presents, not even a tree.

No stocking by hte mantle, just boots filled iwht sand,

and on the wall pictures of far distant lands.

With medanls and badges,awards of all kinds,

a sobering thought came to mind.

FRor this house was different, so dark and so dreary,

the mome o fa soldier, now I could see clearly.

The soldier lay sleeping, silent, alone,

curled up on the floor in this one bedroom home.

The face was so gentle, the room in such disorder,

not how I pictured a United States soldier.

Was this the hero of whom I’d just read?

Curled up on a poncho, the floor for a bed?

I realized the families that I saw this night, owed their lives to these soldiers who were willing to fight.

Soon round the world, the children would play,

and grownups would celebrate a bright Christmas day.

They all enjoyed freedom each month of the year,

because of the soldiers, like the one lying here.

I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone,

on a cold Christmas eve in a land far from home.

The very thought brought a tear to my eye,

I dropeed to my knees and started to cry.

The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice,

“Santa don’t cry, this life is my choice;

I fight for freedom, I don’t ask for more,

my life is my God, my country my corps.”

The soldier rolled over and soon drifted to sleep, I couldn’t control it.  I continued to weep.

I kept watch for hours, so silent and still,

and we both sivered from the cold evening’s chill.

I didn’t want to leave on thea cold, dar, night,

this guardian of honor so willing to fight.

Then the soldier rolled over with a voice soft and pure,

whispered, “cary on Santa, it’s Christmas day, all is secure.”

One look at my watch and I knew he was right.

“Merry Christmas my friend, and to all a good night.”2.lovelyasatreeanddavpoemandcontributions

Visit www.dav.org for more information on how you can help, or mail your contribution to the following address:

Disabled American Veterans

PO Box 143o01

Cincinnati, Ohio 45250-0301

Every little bit helps!3.silverandgoldencoreinkstampedtreesanddavpost

Today’s card features the good old Dryer Sheet Technique along with retired encore silver and gold ink and the Lovely as A Tree Stamp set in a very traditional format.3.silverandgoldencoreinkstampedtreesanddavpost

The inside of the card was stamped with a lovely sentiment which I purchased at a local hobby and craft store and then two tall pines in both gold and silver encore ink.  I love the shadow effect don’t you?

Thank you for visiting my blog today… sorry if you cried (I did)… and hope you’ll stop back by tomorrow.  I look forward to reading your comments.

Hugs,

Sharon

Shop my online stampin’ up store for supplies used in today’s Lovely as A Tree Dryer Technique DAV Christmas Card Share

Pin It!

1 comment:

Susan Carlson said...

That was a great poem. Love the card, too! So sorry about your son's injury. I hope your son is recovering and can find work very soon.