Sunday, October 7, 2012

Seashells and Texture “For You” & Bling

Today’s card share utilizing seashells, texture and stamped layers began as a re-make of a card I wasn’t too happy with!  LOL… and totally took a left turn into a totally new design and color palette!

So… set the scene… just think of the beach… driftwood and sand, pale blue sparkling water and sea shells… that’s what today’s card became.  Hope you like it.

Four stamp sets were used on today’s card… “By the Seashore”, “En Francais” and the “Mixed Medley” stamp set are all from Stampin’ Up, and the fourth un-named tag image is from Inkadinkado. 

The big shot machine got a little work out too… using the fancy fan embossing folder and Delicate Doilies Sizzlits L along with the perfect die-cut shim which I told you how to make in this post (also which Stampin’ Up thinks is a bad idea and has banned me from selling…. after rave reviews from actual users.)1.softpoolparty_and_seashell_masculinecard_Sfield Sponging and paper piercing techniques were also used on today’s card adding special effects, distressing and aging the pool party and very vanilla card stock layers.  I couldn’t help but add a little bling to the back of the doily die cut.. like sparkling water at the ocean, it needed a home in the composition of this card!2_masculine_poolparty_seashell_tag_with_twine

The edges of the tag image were inked with pool party using a sponge.  Although it’s not too visible, en francais was masked and stamped along the lower edge of the tag which was fussy cut using paper snips.3_closeup_of_linenthread_entangled_tag_

A standard office hole punch was used to punch through the stamped tag image and then a scrap of pool party card stock which was subsequently punched using the small daisy punch from the itty bitty punch pack.

The paper tag image had a paper string… which was beefed up with a little linen thread, wrapping around and through the stamped string image for a fun, cool effect.4_bradsandembossingandmedallion_glimmer

Angling the pool party card stock in the fancy fan folder allowed me to partially emboss the lower left edge.  You have to add it to the folder so that it’s not wider than the big shot platform, LOL…. or it won’t go through.  Additional texture was provided by the natural composition designer series paper background layer… kind of like a boardwalk on the beach.

As a final touch, silver metallic brads were added to the lower right edge using the essential paper piercing pack, stampin’ pierce mat and paper piercing tool for precision placement.  LOL... that’s a lot of “P” words isn’t it?

5_profile_view_with_popped_sentiment_layer

Only one layer was actually popped on today’s card… the small “for you” sentiment from the mixed medley hostess set.  Stamped in Soft Suede ink, it was then punched using a 3/4” circle punch before adding to the card composition. 

I hope you enjoyed to day’s card share… and look forward to reading your comments.  Tomorrow I’ll share the card I started out with improving and another version of a re-make, lol… with not such a drastic turn!

Hugs,

Sharon

Shop my online stampin’ up store for supplies used in today’s…

Seashells and Texture “for you” and Bling Card Composition… with a little beach inspiration!

Stamps:  Mixed Medley (hostess) WM 128054 / CM 128057, En Francais (background) WM 109521, By the Seashore WM 126530/ CM 126532, Tag (Inkadinkado)

Papers:  Natural Composition Designer Series Paper 126917, Pool Party 122924, Very Vanilla 101650, Soft Suede 115318, Silver Glimmer Paper 124005

Inks:  Soft Suede 126978, River Rock 126977, Crumb Cake 126975, Pool Party 126982

Terrific Tools:  Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine 113439, Delicate Doilies Sizzlits L 126999, The Perfect Die-Cut Shim Kit (you’ll have to make this one yourself), 2-3/8” Scallop Circle Punch, 3/4” Circle Punch 119873, Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack 118309, Fancy Fan Embossing Folder 127751, Hand held small circle punch (office supply item), Paper Snips (sharp pointed scissors) 103579

Awesome Accessories:  Stampin’ Sponge (wedge) 101610, Stampin’ Dimensionals 104430, Metallic Brads 119741, Linen Thread 104199

Teaching Techniques:  sponging, embossing, distressing, fussy cutting, die-cutting, punching

Pin It!

4 comments:

Ileana_ Carmen said...

I like this project, i like the colors.

StamperJoyce said...

I *really* love this card! I sometimes wonder whether we stampers are crafters or artists, but beyond a doubt I consider this card to be ART!

Ohhh, how I wish I could get my doily dies to cleanly cut through my card stock like yours does! I feel I essentially have two useless tools on my shelf because I just can't find the "perfect" shim or sandwich for them to cut right. I am CRYING that SU! has banned you from selling your Perfect Die-Cut Shim, as I am homebound and have no way of getting the needed stuff on my own to make it. I will try the wax paper trick, but I'm not optimistic that it will solve all my problems. If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears!

Smiles,
Joyce Spear
stamperjoyce at gmail dot com

Judy said...

OK so we both know you can't sell or recomend the shim..... but.... can you tell me how heavy the roofing metal is? For instance is it as heavy as one sheet of paper or 10 sheets of paper?? Or any other way you can describe it to me??? My husband is a all 'round fix it person and says he probably has somethign in the shop that would work and I would not have to buy a whole roll. Thanks so much fjor the help!! I Judy currier

Judy said...

Oh, one more thing..... Any ideas how to get the paper out of the tiny holes of the doily die? Each time I cut one then I am in there with the hole punch needle digging them out! All said, I do love tht die though! so pretty.