Sunday, June 24, 2012

Recipe Request: Puffy Chicken Taco Soup

I LOVE puffy tacos and have been on a quest for the perfect recipe since visiting San Antonio, Texas and Lackland Air Force Base several years ago!  When I came across this Puffy Chicken Taco Recipe from Saveur last month, I knew I would have to try it soon!

Well… that surely was my intention when I began following the directions… but then DH made a funny face when I told him what was for dinner and things took a new twist.  My puffy chicken tacos migrated into a whole new recipe, becoming puffy chicken taco soup!

Puffy Chicken Taco Soup – Recipe by Sharon Field

Ingredient List:

  • 1-2 TBSP EVO Light (Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Light)
  • 3 lbs. bone-in dark chicken meat (thighs work well) washed, dried and seasoned with sea salt and ground black pepper
  • 8 coves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 1/4 large green pepper, finely chopped
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 2 – 10 oz. cans Rotelle Tomatoes with JalapeƱos (I use HOT but mild is also available)
  • 1 can Busch’s Black Bean Fiesta (Black Beans, Kidney Beans and Roasted Corn in Chipotle Sauce)
  • 1 can petite red kidney beans drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 Cup Brown Rice
  • 1/4 Cup Pearl Barley
  • 1 TBSP Cilantro
  • 1 tsp. Penzey’s Southwest Seasoning (or more to taste)
  • 1 tsp. Penzey’s Chicken Taco Seasoning (or more to taste)
  • Tostitos and Low Fat Mexican Shredded Cheese for serving

Step by Step Directions:

  1. Heat Oil in deep sided 8 qt. pot, add chicken and brown on all sides approximately 8 minutes.  Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
  2. Add next 5 ingredients (garlic through green pepper) and cook, stirring to loosen brown bits in bottom of pan… approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
  3. Add Chicken Stock, Rotelle Tomatoes and chicken to cooked vegetables and cover and cook over medium low heat approximately 45 minutes.
  4. Add Barley and Rice, cook another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. Add Black Bean Fiesta and kidney beans to pot, cover and continue to cook.
  6. Remove bones from chicken, shred and add to simmering pot.
  7. Add spices and simmer another 15-20 minutes
  8. Top with crushed Tostitos and shredded low fat Mexican cheese to serve!

Servings:  8

Hearty enough to satisfy DH, LOL and a temporary fix for my puffy chicken taco cravings too!

Tips: 

  • I adjust recipes with ingredients I have on hand… LOL if you don’t happen to have the Busch’s black bean fiesta you could substitute a can of rinsed and drained black beans, frozen (thawed) corn and a tablespoon of chopped, smoked chipotle chilies (canned product).
  • I’ve been known to slip shelled edamame into soup recipes too, LOL… DH doesn’t like lima beans but he’ll eat edamame in soup!!
  • Don’t have Rotelle Tomatoes… just used crushed tomatoes of good quality such as Muir Woods and add fresh (chopped) or canned jalapeƱo peppers.
  • I love Penzey’s spices…. but when I don’t have a particular spice handy, I will often Google a recipe and make my own!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

1 comment:

Susan Carlson said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!