I LOVE puffy tacos and have been on a quest for the perfect recipe since visiting San Antonio, Texas and Lackland Air Force Base several years ago! When I came across this Puffy Chicken Taco Recipe from Saveur last month, I knew I would have to try it soon!
Well… that surely was my intention when I began following the directions… but then DH made a funny face when I told him what was for dinner and things took a new twist. My puffy chicken tacos migrated into a whole new recipe, becoming puffy chicken taco soup!
Puffy Chicken Taco Soup – Recipe by Sharon Field
- 1-2 TBSP EVO Light (Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Light)
- 3 lbs. bone-in dark chicken meat (thighs work well) washed, dried and seasoned with sea salt and ground black pepper
- 8 coves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 – 10 oz. cans Rotelle Tomatoes with Jalapeños (I use HOT but mild is also available)
- 1 can Busch’s Black Bean Fiesta (Black Beans, Kidney Beans and Roasted Corn in Chipotle Sauce)
- 1 can petite red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Brown Rice
- 1/4 Cup Pearl Barley
- 1 TBSP Cilantro
- 1 tsp. Penzey’s Southwest Seasoning (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp. Penzey’s Chicken Taco Seasoning (or more to taste)
- Tostitos and Low Fat Mexican Shredded Cheese for serving
Step by Step Directions:
- Heat Oil in deep sided 8 qt. pot, add chicken and brown on all sides approximately 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
- Add next 5 ingredients (garlic through green pepper) and cook, stirring to loosen brown bits in bottom of pan… approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add Chicken Stock, Rotelle Tomatoes and chicken to cooked vegetables and cover and cook over medium low heat approximately 45 minutes.
- Add Barley and Rice, cook another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Black Bean Fiesta and kidney beans to pot, cover and continue to cook.
- Remove bones from chicken, shred and add to simmering pot.
- Add spices and simmer another 15-20 minutes
- Top with crushed Tostitos and shredded low fat Mexican cheese to serve!
Hearty enough to satisfy DH, LOL and a temporary fix for my puffy chicken taco cravings too!
- I adjust recipes with ingredients I have on hand… LOL if you don’t happen to have the Busch’s black bean fiesta you could substitute a can of rinsed and drained black beans, frozen (thawed) corn and a tablespoon of chopped, smoked chipotle chilies (canned product).
- I’ve been known to slip shelled edamame into soup recipes too, LOL… DH doesn’t like lima beans but he’ll eat edamame in soup!!
- Don’t have Rotelle Tomatoes… just used crushed tomatoes of good quality such as Muir Woods and add fresh (chopped) or canned jalapeño peppers.
- I love Penzey’s spices…. but when I don’t have a particular spice handy, I will often Google a recipe and make my own!