Saturday, May 26, 2012

Two Quick & Easy Ribbon Tricks Tutorial

Good Morning!  Hope you got a really good night’s rest!!  Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial walks you step by step through two quick and easy ribbon tying tricks.  I’ve been meaning to share these for quite some time, and today’s the day!

Often in my posts, you hear me describe what I call a simple knotted ribbon, and bows tied on conveniently on my fingers… such was the case with pretty double loop bow, single loop bow, and triple loop bows.  But, there’s also another clean and simple bow which I tie on my fingers… the knotted ribbon bow!

LOL.. my fingers are convenient and I don’t have to search for tools or props when tying ribbon… and this bow is a favorite of my friends and customers!

Today’s tips (and tricks) for Paper Crafters: 

Two CAS Knotted Ribbon Bow Techniques Tutorials!normally i tie around my ring finger...

  1. Loop ribbon around your finger, and tie ribbon like you would begin tying your shoe laces… keep it fairly loose.  Normally I tie the ribbon on my ring finger, but lately I’ve been tying on my pinkie finger as it wastes less ribbon and wastes less ribbon!knot the ribbon
  2. Repeat, forming a knot… but don’t do that to your shoe laces, LOL you may not be able to get your shoes off!  don't pull too tightly or constrict the blood flow in your finger
  3. Slip the ribbon off your finger… you have a small loop… much less waste than tying around my ring finger or larger diameter objects!find the middle and slice diagonally
  4. Find the middle of the ribbon loop and use your Craft (ribbon) Scissors to slice the loop on a diagonal.tug gently on the cut ends to form your knotted ribbon bow
  5. Now, simply tug the cut ends of the ribbon… not too tightly or your bow won’t be pretty!  Best of all, there is little or no waste of ribbon and the bow lies nice and flat for mailing too!

That was quick, now... are you ready for the second ribbon trick?hole punch, card stock and ribbonAnd here’s another simple yet similar bow that even the kids can do!  You’ll need one tool for this bow… a hole punch!start by punching a hole in your card stock

  1. Insert the punch along the edge of your chosen card stock.the hole should be a smaller diameter than ribbon
  2. Next, wrap ribbon around card stock and through the hole.knot and dove tail the bow to complete
  3. Now simply knot and dove tail the bow ends with your ribbon scissors!for smaller ribbon, use smaller punch diameter
  4. Change it up… use a smaller punch when using more narrow ribbon!

I hope you enjoyed these clean and simple, quick and easy ribbon tying tricks!  See you tomorrow with a new, fresh and fun card share!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

13 comments:

Myrnacochrane said...

Now this is a bow I can tie. Thank you!!!!!
Myrna

MzCookie said...

I love these ideas... thank you so much for sharing

KERRSKREATIONS said...

YOU ARE A CRAFTERS GO TO ENCYCLOPEDIA. I LOVE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS AND LITTLE TIPS. THEY SAVE TIME AND MONEY. A BIG THANK YOU. HAVE A GREAT SATURDAY.

ellouise1969 said...

Too cool Sharon. TFS such natty ideas. Love the circle punch idea.

Lisawhs808 said...

Thanks!

Pat M. said...

Hi Sharon! The first technique is BRILLIANT! I must not be as coordinated as you tho, because I couldn't get it wrapped correctly around my finger! I used something else instead, but it worked like a charm. I'm anxious to try the second technique now. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your talent each day. I appreciate you!

Sharon Field said...

LOL... keep the ribbon flat as you wrap around our finger. Try using your index finger when first practicing, and practice makes perfect! Glad it still worked for you!

KERRSKREATIONS said...

YOU ARE A CRAFTERS GO TO ENCYCLOPEDIA. I LOVE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS AND LITTLE TIPS. THEY SAVE TIME AND MONEY. A BIG THANK YOU. HAVE A GREAT SATURDAY.

lospring said...

Thank you! Hole punch is a great tip. I will use it many times.

jules said...

thanks for the fab tips Sharon! and i am so glad i followed the link from Jules to you!i am your new follower

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thank you for this Sharon! I'm all thumbs when it comes to ribbon tying! these tips are great! xo

Barbiedi said...

Thank you for sharing the brilliant tips on bow tying, i will definately be using them x

Charlotte from AZ said...

You are sooooo creative! This tip is awesome! I love to put bows on my cards and mine look pretty good (I think)...BUT, I sure haven't been able to do it this quick. I thank you for sharing...this will be my "bow go to" from now on!