Have you ever been inspired by a particular shadow or shape? That’s kind of what happened when I was snipping away at the the cut from my button chain punch! While positioning the chain on yesterday’s cards I couldn’t help notice a Volkswagen within the paper cut!
Isn’t it too cute? Today, I’ll walk you step by step through snipping away at a button chain punch string to make this cute little Volkswagen car and card! LOL gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “Punch Buggy”!
For today’s Button Chain Punched Volkswagen Tutorial… gather the supplies you’ll need:
- Button Chain Punch (Sizzix)
- 3/4” and 1/2” Circle Punches
- Circle from Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Set
- Paper Snips
- Card Stock (I’ve used Brushed Silver for the button chain car, and whisper white for the tires)
Step by Step Button Chain Punched Volkswagen Tutorial:
- Cut card stock with button chain punch, punching twice to get a long string of buttons and needles and then carefully snip apart the chain just behind the first needle/button combo.
- There are three different buttons in each chain repeat. Overlap the largest buttons and draw/trace the curves for cutting lines as shown below. Follow the curve around to mark where you’ll be cutting away the thread too.
- Draw a line to complete the curve along the next sized button where the needle point protrudes.
- Snip along all three drawn lines… Volkswagen car revealed:
- Use the 1/2” circle punch to center and punch out both front and rear wheels.
- Use the circle shape from itty bitty punch shapes pack to remove the center of the smallest button, save to use as a hubcap in a future step.
- Punch two 3/4” circles from Whisper White card stock and glue behind two large wheels of car.
- Punch a second itty bitty circle shape from second car string, and glue each ‘hub cap’ button to front and rear tires.
- Add a little bling… tiny rhinestone to each wheel and begin making your card!
Today’s Tips For Paper Crafters:
- After snipping portions of a punched image, uneven or flat areas can be smoothed easily with a sanding block!
- I tried snipping out the smallest center button in it’s entirety, but was quite unhappy with the general appearance… so left it en tact.
Additional card photos and details…
Cut Designer Series Papers in gentle curves to simulate both hillside and road, sponging along the edges of the ‘road’ in basic gray and dashing the dividing line with a white gel pen. LOL.. my car is travelling in Europe… I added it with dimensional dots to the left side of the road!
Clouds were created using the Cupcake Builder Punch, and sponged along the edges with bashful blue ink. Two clouds were adhered dtp (direct to paper) and a third was popped using a stampin’ dimensional ‘pop dot’.
A sentiment chosen from the Teeny Tiny Wishes Stamp Set was inked in Basic Gray Ink, punched/sponged and popped onto the card front as well.
Thanks for stopping by, I look forward to reading your comments and hope you’ll stop back by tomorrow
Shop my Online Stampin’ Up! Store for most supplies used in today’s…
Button Chain Punched Volkswagen Tutorial and Card!
Stamps: The Best Of Everything WM 123534/ CM 123536, Teeny Tiny Wishes 115370
Papers: Bashful Blue 105120, Whisper White 100730, Neutrals Designer Series Paper Stack 117157, Regals Designer Series Paper Stack 117154
Ink: Basic Gray 109120, Bashful Blue 105209
Terrific Tools: Cupcake Builder Punch 121807, Modern Label Punch 119849, Paper Snips 103579, 3/4” Circle Punch 119873, 1/2” Circle Punch 119869, Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack 118309
Awesome Accessories: Stampin’ Sponge Wedge 101610, Sponge Dauber 102892, White Gel Pen 105021, Rhinestone Jewels 119246, Sanding Block 124304, Stampin’ Dimensionals 104430, Garden Green Stampin’ Write Marker 100080, Chocolate Chip Stampin’ Write Marker 100701, Button Chain Punch (non-SU)