“Birds of a feather…” the common quote has roots as far back as 380 BC but today’s Super Saturday Tutorial will share a brand new way to use the Bigz Die “Elegant Bird”!
I really hope this big shot die carries over into the new catalog release!! Found on page 10 of the occasions mini catalog… it’s a fabulous die cut for mobiles, applique quilts, cards and scrapbook pages. The occasions mini expires on April 30th and our new idea book will be released to demos only on May 7th…. a whole week to wait and wonder!!
Supplies Needed for today’s…
Birds of a Feather Elegant Bird layered die cut…
- Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine
- Bigz Die: Elegant Bird
- Paper Snips
- Large Oval Punch
- Stampin’ Sponge Wedge
- Mat Pack and Paper Piercing Tool
- Multipurpose Adhesive
- Baja Breeze and Marina Mist Card Stock
- Marina Mist Classic Ink
- Peach Parfait Stampin’ Write Marker
- White Gel Pen
- Woodgrain Stamp
- Prepared card base and background using faux silken pearls technique.
NOTE: The background technique for today’s card can be found in an older Super Saturday Tutorial: Faux Silken Pearls Technique to which I’ve added stamped images using En Francais and French Foliage stamp sets.
Step by Step Tutorial…
Birds of A Feather, Layered Die Cut
- Cut Marina Card Stock 5.5” x 5.75” and then into two pieces large enough to separately die cut the bird and wing. If desired, also cut away excess from smaller piece as shown in photo below.
- The remaining pieces should be large enough to cover the bird, and wing in separate passes of the die cutting process.
- Punch several large oval punches using the large oval punch, and then cut each large oval in half. Sponge the 1/2 oval punches using stampin’ sponge wedge and marina mist card stock. Refer to photo in next step for a visual if needed.
- Scribble a fine line of Multipurpose Adhesive along the lower edge of the Marina Mist card stock and begin laying a row of sponged 1/2 ovals along the lower edge.
- Repeat the process using multipurpose adhesive and half ovals for row two, staggering the oval layers.
- Once the card stock is completely filled with 1/2 oval pieces, it will look something like this…
- Lay the piece on the Elegant Bird Die, and run through the big shot die-cutting machine..
- My original intention was to die cut the wing separately and then cover with ovals… but something more interesting happened when I die cut the bird… I ended up with a piece almost large enough to create a wing… so I die cut the wing shape from the excess oval covered card stock and ended up with an almost perfect wing shape!! So… waste not want not…. I die cut a full wing from remaining scrap of marina mist card stock.
- Cut away excess marina mist card stock from oval covered ‘wing’ section to remove excess bulk.
- sponge the edges of all three pieces using a stampin’ sponge wedge covered with marina mist classic ink.
- Stamp marina mist ‘full’ wing die cut using marina mist classic ink and woodgrain stamp.
- Glue oval covered partial wing to full wing.
- Attach new wing to bird using stampin’ dimensional dots and multipurpose adhesive. The multipurpose adhesive is placed along the lower scored flap to be glued directly to the layered die cut bird.
- Use the mat pack and paper piercing tool to pierce a hole for placement of a basic black brad for the birds’ eye… and then use a white gel pen to add a white dot to the center of the birds’ eye. LOL… dot the i.
- Color his beak using the peach parfait marker and attach the bird to your prepared background and card base!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial… I look forward to reading your comments! See you tomorrow with a new card share!
Supplies for today’s tutorial can be purchased at my online stampin’ up store! For your convenience, here’s a complete list of card supplies including item codes!
Stamps: French Foliage WM 120845 / CM 121166, En Francais WM 109521, Woodgrain WM 117100
Papers: Marina Mist 119682, Early Espresso 119686, Baja Breeze 111352, Pool Party 122924, Tissue Paper (generic)
Inks: Frost White Shimmer Paint 115954, Early Espresso 119670, Marina Mist 119668
Terrific Tools: Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine , Elegant Bird Bigz Die 125593, mat pack 105825, paper piercing tool 116631, large oval punch, paper snips103579
Awesome Accessories: Stampin’ Sponge Wedges 101610, Stampin’ Dimensionals 104430, Multipurpose Adhesive 110755, White Gel Pen 105021, Peach Parfait Stampin’ Write Marker (2020-12 In-Color Set) 119801, Neutrals Brads 119736, Early Espresso 1/8” Taffeta Ribbon 119959, Hemp Twine 100982