Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Have It Your Way… SQSC29 Challenge x 3!

Welcome back to my little blog!  Sorry for the delay in this morning’s post… up to my eyeballs last night preparing for today’s Card Club luncheon!  I really should start taking pictures of the food we eat at card club Winking smile especially when it turns out good!

Today’s Stampin’ Queens Sketch Challenge design is very simple… 12 circles, one mat and a sentiment.  Honestly, I had no clue what to do with that!

Here’s the second card I came up with for the challenge…SQSC29_Sharon_Field_balloons

Still missing something… balloon bouquet with ribbon.. what a difference a little ribbon can make!

When in doubt, add ribbon, right?  What a difference a little stretch of ribbon can make!!  rose_red_ribbon_Accent

LOL, I know people who absolutely cringe at the thought of adding ribbon to a card!  In this case, I think it makes the card, what do you think?back side of vellum cs layer

To give the small oval punch balloons a little depth, some of them were glued DTP (direct to paper) onto the Vellum Card Stock layer, others were popped up with wafer thin Stampin’ Dimensionals.  No rhyme or reason… just random popping of the balloons.. well, not really popping, more like lifting!

After popping the balloons, strings were drawn on the reverse side of the card stock vellum with a pencil, then traced using a Basic Black marker.balloon_stringes_and_birthday_Sentiment

Once flipped to the card front, the balloon strings were perfectly placed.  If traces of pencil were visible from the front, I simply used a pencil eraser to remove them (from the back side of course.)sqsc29B_Sharon_Field

This is the first card I made for today’s sketch challenge… but I didn’t really like it.  Looking at it now, I’m not quite sure why I didn’t like it, LOL… See, sometimes things really do look better in the morning!  Hope the same thing is true of all the food I prepped last night Winking smiletwelve_circles_birds_And_CLouds

The 12 circles across the top of today’s sketch are punched birds and clouds from the Up In The Air stamp set.brads_in_color+alighnment

As are the sentiment and balloons.  Printed In-Color Brads were added along the left side of the card front, just for fun.popped up balloons

The balloon basket was stamped first using Soft Suede Ink, and the balloon flags were painted with the brush tip of markers before stamping DTP.

Each of the balloon patterns were then stamped onto scraps of Whisper White Card Stock, cut out with scissors (snips) and then popped atop the basket, which made them easy to line up!!SQSC29_On_Createdbyu_Blogspot

Here’s the sketch prompt for todays’ challenge!  I hope you’ll join us and play along, you know the drill, right?  Visit the Stampin’ Queens Sketch Challenge Blog to see all the design team entries and to add your creation as well!

Be sure to leave a comment on today’s post… you could win one of three prizes from this week’s blog candy!  There are a couple other ways to win too… Read THIS Blog Candy Alert Post for details!

See you tomorrow… I’ve got a really cool card to share with you!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

15 comments:

Elaine Wheeler said...

These are FAB.... have fun at the luncheon today.
Happy crafting
Hugs Elaine

Ellen Parker said...

Hi Sharon, I love both of these cards! I agree that the first one needed that little strip of ribbon to finish it off. I can't imagine why people don't want ribbon on a card. I love ribbon! Have fun today!
hugs,
Ellen

Lorican said...

I like the one you didn't pic. Oh well, some like chocolate some like vanilla! I am sure what ever you made for your club meeting will be percect. I can't imagine you making anything that wouldn't be good!
Enjoy,
Candy

Charlotte said...

Oh, what a difference that strip of ribbon makes! You did a super job creating with 12 circles. That would have had me stumped - but, you created two beautiful cards. I know you'll have a super fun time at your card luncheon today. {I wish someone had something like that where I live.}

Darlene L said...

I think I add ribbon to every card I make. I always think it adds just that extra touch. Love all the balloons.

Fabiola said...

superbe! biz

ellouise1969 said...

I don't know what I find more daunting....the fact that 12 circles were having to be used...or "just adding a ribbon!!" I am SUCH a procrastinator....I think all aspects wld get me going!! I really like the Up In the Air card....but the balloons are a lot of fun. Either way I applaud both efforts.

D Sparks said...

I think both cards are great. I like the one with 12 balloons the best. There is something so freeing about a bunch of balloons floating above.
DMS

Kelly Wentling said...

Hi Sharon! Loved the balloons with the ribbon. This was truely a challenge!!

Donna Ellis said...

Love all the types of balloons you selected, Sharon, and how cute they are on the cards!

Kathy Mc said...

Looks the ribbon grounded your balloons a bit, which is just what it needed for the finishing touch (in my opinion). Love the Up In The Air stamp set and you showcased it so well with your second card. WOW ~ 12 circles creates quite the challenge. May have to try that one!
bdlakebum at yahoo dot com

Jeannie said...

Very cool! I keep seeing this hot air balloon set, and while I didn't especially like it at first, I really do now, lol! Great job!!

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

These are both really pretty. Love the balloon one. So simple, but so cute. Yes the ribbon does make it. I don't cringe at the thought of using ribbon, I was just never very good at it, and have never had much ribbon. I am getting better though. It did take me 6 yrs to use up an entire spool of ribbon. lol Love the up in the air card. This set is on my wish list. Would love to win it.
Deb
stampindebs at aol dot com

Carolyn S said...

Sharon, these cards are fantastic! Colorful and put a smile on my face. That's what it's all about, isn't it? Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Ware said...

I missed this. I love the first one! Reminds me of when my daughter & 1st grade class let dozens of balloons go up, up, up in the air! I'm going to have to make this!!!