Saturday, March 3, 2012

Antique, Distress, And Emboss Tutorial

Inspiration… it can come from anywhere and occur at any time.  I often sketch doors, windows and shadows while watching television in the evening hours with my DH. 

Inspiration also comes from thing you see in stores, restaurants, at the home of friends.  It can also be found in your own home environment as part of your home’s d├ęcor!

Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial inspiration comes from the lid of a metallic ‘trunk’ which I often carry with me to craft shows.P1090925Currently stored atop a stack of other suitcase-type storage boxes, I happened to glance at it when entering my craft room, and immediately set about trying to recreate the verdigris antiqued metallic texture!Antiqued_Distressed_metal_tutorials_Sharon_Field

This is what I came up with… pretty cool, hope you like it!

Supplies Needed for Todays Super Saturday Tutorial…

Faux Antiqued and Distressed Embossed Metal

Card Stock:  Basic Black cut to desired size

Ink:  Very Vanilla Craft Refill, Versamark Ink Pad, Basic Black Ink Pad

Tools:  Heat Tool (heat embossing gun), Sanding Block, Big Shot Die Cutting Machine, Finial Press Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, 1” wide foam brush, plastic lid (recycled or use one from an embellishment container)

Accessories:  Gold Stampin’ Emboss Powder, Paper towel

Step By Step Faux Antiqued Embossed Metal Tutorial:

  1. Squirt a quarter-sized dollop of Vanilla Craft Ink onto the plastic lid and use the foam brush to paint the Basic Black card stock.  A light coat is all you need.
  2. Set aside to dry, or heat to dry using a heat tool.
  3. Place dry card stock into finial press textured impressions embossing folder, and run through the big shot machine.
  4. Remove from big shot machine and use sanding block to sand off high spots in embossing, revealing the black card stock beneath.  Note:  In the sample shown, I also added color to the card stock with re-inkers… which was totally unnecessary, so I’ve omitted that step in today’s tutorial.P1090931
  5. Pat the entire surface with a versamark ink pad, cover with gold stampin’ emboss folder and use heat tool to set.  While warm sprinkle a little bit of new embossing powder and heat with short bursts of the heat tool to give it a more pitted appearance.P1090927
  6. sand the high spots on the card stock to remove the embossing powder… at first the gold will resist being sanded.  You just need to sand long enough to remove the plastic-like coating of the embossing powder and will see some of the vanilla ink color appear.P1090930
  7. Tap your basic black ink pad all over the top of the card stock, it’s ok if you get it on the gold embossing! Let it set for about 20 seconds and then use the paper towel to remove excess ink from the gold embossing. P1090937
  8. Congratulations!  Now you’re done!  Wouldn’t this look fabulous with the Mocha Morning Designer Specialty Paper, a fabulous vintage card or scrapbook page, or 3-d item?P1090935

I can’t wait to cut out a new petite purse die cut Winking smile and then use this technique on it!  The die won’t be available until April… but I’ll be giving you a sneak peek when I get it done!

I hope you enjoyed today’s double posting and Super Saturday Tutorial… and would love to see what you do with using this technique!  If you’d like me to feature your project here on Created By You, simply use the contact me form to send me a copy of your creation along with a link to your personal blog if you have one so I can assign proper credit and kudos!

See you tomorrow with more hand stamped creations,

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

3 comments:

ellouise1969 said...

This is v v cool Sharon. Wld it wk with WW ink as opposed to VV??? (I do not have VV u see). It def wld look totally hot with Mocha Morning DSP....but need that too...LOL!! Ta for another fab tute.

Cheryl Algie said...

Great technique Sharon now I have ideas running through my head on where I can use it !!!

Elaine Wheeler said...

Thank you Sharon, I must have a go at this
Hugs Elaine