Monday, February 6, 2012

Surrealism, Sympathy, Water Color Wash

Surrealism has always intrigued me… ever since I first laid eyes on a Salvador Dali painting.  His paintings were dramatic and unconventional, there with a sense of humor that was sometimes a bit shocking too.  Today’s card is taking on a surrealistic spin… made from leftover scraps on my stamp table and turned surreal. 

You may recognize some of the pieces and parts from my recent re-inker water color wash technique tutorial and subsequent card shares…. they are actually the demo pieces I used when teaching the technique class, assembled in a new way to present two more yet different cards.Surreal_Sympathy_Sharon_Field_createdbyu.blogspot

I colored the chair from the “Cherish Friendship” a month or so ago… but wasn’t happy with it until it found a home on this special sympathy card.2.close_up_floating_Chair_Heaven_Sharon_Field

I added blue sky and clouds using a sponge, masking the card stock with a scallop circle punched card stock piece while sponging on Bashful Blue Ink... 

That’s where it became a bit surrealistic… like a special seat in heaven, awaiting the arrival of a special guest… floating among the clouds.  Subliminally, one could make a second argument too… the name of the stamp set is Cherish Friendship… LOL, so much for my attempt at surrealism in card making!3.surrealism_sponged_Cloud_Work

The clouds were added first to the leftover water color wash sample…. and served as inspiration to add them to the chair… after all, the colors were perfect!

I’ve never really cared for sympathy cards… and really don’t like the ones that have a sympathetic message plastered all over the outside of the card…. I remember getting them when my Mother passed away (years ago) and dreading having to open yet another one.  The message was a constant reminder…. so I left them in the envelopes until I was ready to deal. 

Without a visible sentiment, the card could be displayed… and the recipient could wait to read the interior message when they’re ready.  (Well, that’s my story, LOL).  4.dragonfly_in_Grasses_watercolor_reinker_technique_Sharon_Field

The dragonfly from Natures’ Nest and Inspired by Nature grass images were paired together on the original class sample… but I think it works well enough on it’s own too.. What do you think?

Tomorrow I’ll share two cards made for the Utah Divas International Color Challenge… on a brighter and happier note!

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks too for your online orders from my stampin’ Up! Store… every little bit helps!

Hugs,

Sharon

Stamps and Supplies for Today’s Cards…

Re-Inker Water Color Wash Card &Surreal Sympathy

Stamps:  Inspired By Nature, Cherish Friendship, Natures’ Nest

Paper:   Baja Breeze, Basic Black, Whisper White, Water Color Paper

Ink:  Crumb Cake, Garden Green, Baja Breeze, Bashful Blue, Crumb Cake

Terrific Tools:  Aqua Painter, Scallop Circle Punch, Stampin’ Sponge, fine art mister (non-SU)

Awesome Accessories:  Stampin’ Dimensionals

Pin It!

18 comments:

ColleenB. said...

Such a lovely card
ColleenB.

Annette said...

Sharon, these cards are so beautiful. I agree wholeheartedly with you that sympathy cards should not have sentiments on the front.

Susan Carlson said...

Just found some old Dali prints in our basement last weekend and was explaining his style to the kids. I like your take on Dali : ) And I agree about keeping the card front void of sentiments. When you do it that way, it also makes the card more versatile.

Donna Ellis said...

Dali is one of my favorites! Love finding the "hidden" messages in his artwork, and the beautiful colors. Your pieces are so peaceful - they almost resemble the coast where the Dali Museum lives. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly Wentling said...

Hi Sharon! Having attended a funeral last week and needing to make 5 sympathy cards for family members myself, your post today hits home. I really like these two cards and find the baja blue is a very calming color. I love your story about the first card. I think this one is appropriate for a female or male too. I never thought of this stamp set that way, so now, it will be on my wishlist. And perhaps, I should take your tip about the sentiment and leave it off the front. ; ) Your dragaonfly stamp is just perfect as well. A peaceful outdoors scene and a beautiful image. Thanks so much for the inspiration today. None of us likes to make a sympathy card, but I think it is one of most important times that we should, so family members know we are thinking of them and they are not alone.

JERILEE KERR said...

Very nice! I love the idea to keep the sentiment off in such a fragile time in ones life. TFS.

Ellen Parker said...

Hi Sharon, these two cards are just beautiful. I agree with not placing a sentiment on sympathy cards, and I agree that these are lovely enough to be displayed!
hugs,
Ellen

JERILEE KERR said...

Very nice! LOVED the day you putthe sentiment in the envelope for later. TFS

JERILEE KERR said...

Very nice! I love the idea to keep the sentiment off in such a fragile time in ones life. TFS.

Bonnie said...

Wow. This is great. Thank you for sharing.

BJ said...

This card is absolutely beautiful!

Lelagh said...

Very nice soft & warm card. I like your idea, leaving the front "open" no sentiment.

Bette S said...

How creative! I like your card and the "thought behind it. Very good!

Sandi Dailey said...

Wow Sharon, I'm just loven' those two cards!!! I want to CASE both of them just as they are with no changes (that is rare for me). You style has changed so much from even a year ago -- and I love it!!

Ellen Wright said...

Love your two sympathy cards today! Your take on Dali is beautiful. I agree with you about leaving the front sentiment free...having lost my husband suddenly barely three months ago I agree with you totally. It is a wonderful source of support but each one brought more tears. Ellen W

Fabiola said...

super jolie, biz

ellouise1969 said...

Sharon Dali does not quite have the same ring to it but I really love bot the cards. The idea of the flowers on the empty cahir is so nice for a sympathy card. Brilliant.

Jenny said...

your chair card is simply stunning! so relaxing and serene. thank you for sharing your talents with us every day!