Saturday, February 11, 2012

Super Saturday Tutorial Starburst Flower

Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial combines the button brad easily created by straightening out the brad legs with pliers to insert through the button holes…. and my new Starburst Flower Technique. 

Today’s Starburst Flower was made with Designer Series Paper (DSP)… but could just as easily have been made with card stock, paper grocery bags, Tyvek (natural or painted) or newsprint.  When using heavier materials, I would simply suggest you adjust this tutorial slightly by using fewer layers SmileSharon_field_starburst_flower

Supply List for Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial…

Starburst Flower

1/2 sheet Designer Series Papers (DSP)

Cardstock scraps in contrasting color

1-3/4”  and 2-3/8” Scallop Circle Punches

3/4” and 1” Circle Punches

Paper Snips

Paper Piercing Tool OR Jewelry Pliers

Dotto Repositionable Adhesive (optional)

Multipurpose Adhesive

One Stampin’ Dimensional

Antique Brad

Large button (3/4” diameter)

Step by Step Starburst Flower Directions:

  1. Punch three 1-3/4” scallop Circle Punches and  six 2-3/8” scallop Circle Punches from DSP, one 3/4” circle punch and one 1” circle punch from card stock scrap. P1100929
  2. Attach 3/4” circle punch to the center of a 1-3/4” scallop circle punch using Dotto adhesive (optionally, you can just hold it in place with your fingers…. but Dotto is much easier Winking smile
  3. Use snips to clip inside each “v” of the scallop circle to the circle.   Paper Crafters TIP:  The snips (scissors) will resist cutting through the card stock… so just stop when you feel that resistance!  Repeat for remaining two 1-3/4” Scallop Circle Punches. P1100926
  4. Repeat steps two and three substituting the 2-3/8” Scallop Circle Punch and 1” circle punch six times.
  5. Now grab those jewelry pliers… or needle nose pliers from the tool box and grab each flower ‘petal’ lengthwise, gently rolling the petal.  Continue around the scallop circle, when you’ve completed one starburst, remove the center circle and work on the next scallop circle punch.  LOL.. if you want to stop with just one starburst, wouldn’t it make a fabulous sun for a scrapbook page or a card? P1100931
  6. Repeat for all nine punches, substituting the 1” dotto circle when using the 2-3/8” scallop circle punches. P1100934
  7. Assemble the layers, placing the smaller starbursts on top, affixing with multipurpose adhesive.
  8. Assemble Button Brad per Tutorial, and attach to the center of the starburst flower with a Stampin’ Dimensional dot.

You are done!!  Now you can add your flower to a hair clip, fascinator, comb, card, scrapbook page or bag!Sharon_field_starburst_flower - Copy

I hope you enjoyed today’s Super Saturday Starburst Flower Tutorial… please take a moment to leave a comment Smile  I always enjoy hearing from you!

Tomorrow I’ll be sharing my cards for Seniors and one more mini tutorial, you won’t want to miss it!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

28 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

What a unique flower using products already in our stash, Sharon! Thanks for taking the terrific photos and sharing with us.

Elizabeth Dyson said...

Oh this is so lovely. When I first saw it I thought it was fabric. Thanks for the tutorial and for sharing your awesome talent

Candi said...

Wow what a great idea and it looks so easy! I am in the process of making handmade cards as gifts for my 2 Daughters and Daught In Law. This will be on one of them! Thanks for sharing

Susan Carlson said...

Sharon, this is a fabulous idea. Love it!!! I'm taking my girls to get their hair cut later this morning. I think I'll do a little advertising and create some flowers while waiting for them ; )

Linda Warren said...

Sharon, I love this idea and of course the outcome. This flower is beautiful! I would love to demonstrate this to my upcoming club if it is ok! What a gorgeous option without a die.
Linda

Sherry Edwards said...

Great tutorial Sharon, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your visit to my blog and your lovely comments - and for following me.
I'm now you're newest follower too :)

Craftyd3 said...

I love making flowers so this is right up my alley. Thanks for the tutorial.

Janet (Kopi Kat Cards) said...

Love this flower, I am definitely going to use this style, thank you so much. Thank you also for leaving a comment on my blog (kopi Kat Cards). Your comment lead me to your super blog - which I love. Thank you again. Janet R

froebelsternchen Susi said...

great flower! wow!

Myrnacochrane said...

Sharon
This is really pretty. I may try it with the Cricut cutting out the petals. Thanks for the tut.
Myrna

Carol V said...

So Cool, can't wait to try it. Thanks for a great technique and tutorial.

Regina said...

Shanon, this flower is such an eyecatcher! Great idea! You are so clever!
Th♥nks for sharing!

Patricia Huber said...

Can't wait to try this. Thanks again, Sharon, for another great tutorial.

ellouise1969 said...

This flower has so much sass Sharon...it rocks. I now have an idea with all the layering how it looks so lush. TFS a real impact flower tutorial.

ellouise1969 said...

After thought...on re-reading....wld the curling of the petals also wk with a quilling tool???

Lisa808 said...

Gorgeous flower! Thanks for the tutorial.

Shestamps said...

Oh my this is incredible!

Sharong725 said...

Bummer, first three boxes are just grey with P1100929, P1100926, and P1100931...not sure if anyone else had that problem?

craftnstamp said...

What a great flower, Sharon ~ I can't wait to try & make one of these.
Thanks so much for sharing your skills & for your clear & concise instructions.
By the way, what DSP did you use to make your flower?

Sharon Field said...

Try refreshing your browser and/or deleting your cookies Sharon... you're the only one having issues at this time , so sorry!

Sharon Field said...

Yes, a quilling tool would work well too... it's even better than a piercing tool because it is longer. LOVE using jewelry pliers or needle nose pliers though.. you don't need as many fingers, LOL

Sharon Field said...

The DSP I used was so saffron from the DSP packs... any DSP would work and as you can see with the starburst I showed, you can also use card stock. Newsprint would look fabulous too... how about spritzing it with shimmer mist.. WOW, I may have to go make one right now, LOL!

Andrea Brewster said...

Beautiful flower! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Jennifer Partridge said...

Sharon,

Your flower is GORGEOUS!!! :) Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a clear, easy-to-follow tutorial!!!!!!!

Crafty hugs,

Jennifer
partridgelu at yahoo dot com

Fabiola said...

oh wouah! magnifique! biz

Ltedder said...

Wow Sharon! This is so cool! I was wondering if I could share this on my Twosday's Techniques page? I absolutely love how you can make a sun, or a very fluffy flower!! Too Cool!!
Lisa Tedder
twosdaystechniques.com

Marisol Gutierrez said...

OMGosh! I love it. I can't wait to make one!

Lorraine Castellon-Rowe said...

Awesome flower Sharon!!! Fabulous tutorial too!! Love this flower. Can't wait to make one. Thanks!!!