Saturday, February 18, 2012

It’s Saturday… And That Means Tutorial!

Life is so full of distractions… kids, family, pets, work, sickness, etcetera!  Sometimes things just get away from you doesn’t it?  I’ve got so many people I need to get in touch with, sad to say… that I just haven’t made time.  Got to get back to basics!

Today’s blog post and Super Saturday Tutorial is going to be a bit different.  We have a sick pet and a busy family schedule that is demanding attention… so, please bear with me.

starburst flower, flowers, sharon_field, createdbyu, super_staruday

I’ve been working on creating a variety of paper and ribbon flowers.  Do you recognize the flower in the upper portion of the photo… the one with an antique brad/button assembly?  It was from a tutorial written for last weekend’s Super Saturday  Starburst FlowerTutorial which you can find HERE.

The yellow flower just below it is a little different variation of the same flower… with a little twist. 2.starburst_flower_variation_For_Super_Saturday

  • Like last weekend’s paper flower, it uses both the 2-3/8” Circle Punch, and 1-3/4” circle punch and Designer Series Paper.
  • Instead of cutting between the scallops (into the natural ‘v’), I cut down the center of each scallop.3.cuting_down_center_of_scallop_petals
  • Look specifically at the petal cut just above my watermark… the ‘v’ formed was from the scallop… and I sliced down the center of each flower ‘petal’.
  • Another difference from Last Week’s Starburst Flower tutorial… just four layers of each size punch were used, i.e. 4 large scallop punches and 4 small scallop punches.
  • The punched/clipped flowers were all layered as in the tutorial last week, and then pierced using a mat pack/paper piercing tool.
  • Layers were secured with one brad, then finger scrunched around the brad.
  • You can mist the flower with water to make it more pliable when scrunching… just be gentle… too much aggressive scrunching and the DSP will tear!

So… what do you do with all these paper flowers?  Well, you could also make them out of fabric with an iron-on pellon or fabric stiffening substrate to make hair bows, jewelry, and pins.. or you could simply use them for adornment for baskets, bows, wreaths, mirrors and other home décor items!

I know you’re wondering about the other flowers shown… Smile I will share those over the next day or so.

In the mean time… here’s a great project for Girl Scouts or kids using recycled materials!Recycled_reed_diffuser_project_for_blossomPunch_Kid_friendly

THIS is a recycled spice jar.. McCormick’s to be specific.  I use a ton of spices while preparing daily meals… and really wanted a creative way to recycle and reuse them.  I purchased some reed scent diffusers, and scented oil… and then added paper leaves and flowers to decorate!Mccormicks_spice_jar-recycled_reed_project

The spice jar was wrapped with a little designer series paper, and tied with satin ribbon.blossom_punch_and_5petal_punch_FLowr

And layered paper flower punches were added to the tops of each reed diffuser.  I wasn’t too sure what I wanted the flower to look like and was really just engaging in creative experimentation when I made this sample, LOL… blossom_punch_recycled_reed_diffuser_layered_flower

So I made the blossom punch flower two sided… still not sure which one I like better… which do you like?

See you tomorrow with more details on the flowers shown in the first photo.. Got to go take care of a sick cat, we lost his brother last month and he hasn’t been the same since!  The poor little kitty has been sleeping all day!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

6 comments:

KERRSKREATIONS said...

WHAT A GREAT IDEA....MAKING THE FLOWERS WITH ALL OF OUR BEAUTIFUL DSP. I LOVE THE FLOWER DIFFUSER, USING THE EMPTY SPICE BOTTLE. GREAT IDEAS FOR ALL TO BE INVOLVED WITH OUR LONG WEEKEND. THANKS FOR THIS WONDERFUL TUTORIAL WITH EVERYTHING GOING ON IN YOUR LIFE. HOPE THINGS WILL SETTLE FOR YOU SOON. P.S. I LIKE THE PATTERNED DSP FLOWER THE BEST.

Susan Carlson said...

I took several scallop circles to my hair appointment a few days ago and created a flower using your previous tutorial. Everyone loved it and I got to distribute a few of my minis. Then I stopped by my daughter's school to show someone the flower. Her teacher stole it from her and still has it on her desk!!! Thanks SO much for the inspiration!!!

pluckee said...

These are beautiful Sharon, I love the idea of cutting in the center of the petal as opposed to the scallop.
Thanks for sharing!

Donna Ellis said...

Wow! you have outdone yourself, Sharon! These are amazing in detail, and so varied! A sweet decor item or "bow" on a gift. Thanks for sharing the how's to your projects.

ellouise1969 said...

Wow Sharon.....reading your post made me feel exhausted!! I sincerely hope the wee kitty is ok.
I do really like the flowers you have made. I do use the Fun Flowers die etc to make flowers, but more 3D ones like this I tend to avoid. Thanks for providing enough guidance so that a procrastinator may make one or two perhaps. Take care of you.

Kelly Wentling said...

Hi Sharon! This is great for Girl Scouts or a Sunday School class! Our school always has kids bring in flowers in May for teacher appreciation, paper or real, and this is just perfect for that too. Thanks so much for your wonderful tutorials. They are just simply the best!