Today’s card is actually for not just one but THREE challenges… my design team member entry for the Stampin’ Queens Sketch Challenge #SQSC17, the Use It Tuesday Holiday Hoard Challenge #USE021, and the SUO December Holiday Challenge #34 too!
As an added bonus, I’m also sharing a technique today… at the end of today’s post, you’ll see a detailed step by step tutorial for the Black Shimmer Paper Technique used on today’s challenge card!
Many of you may not recognize this rubber stamp set, it is actually “Paz Y Amistad”, new this year and exclusive to the Stampin’ Up! Celebrando Creatividad 2011-12 Catalog Issue. LOL, it was a little hard to miss this year as it appeared on the front cover. The actual stamp set is found on page 24 if you click the link above. In translation, Paz y Amistad means Peace and Friendship, but I’ve nick named it the World Peace stamp set!
When I first viewed this Celebrando Creatividad Stamp Set, it was love at first sight… and immediately went on my list of “must have” stamp sets! Unfortunately, there were too many must have stamp sets for my budget, so this particular one was just acquired a couple months ago.
Exclusive Products available at my Online Stampin’ Up! Store:
Paz Y Amistad - Wood Mount #124670 / 6 stamps $26.95
Paz Y Amistad - Clear Mount #124672 / 6 stamps $18.95
Celebrando Creatividad 2011-12 Catalog #125855 / $3.95
There’s a lot of stash stuff on this card… an odd piece of basic black felted Well Worn Specialty and First Edition Designer Series Paper (DSP), Mini library clip, brads, and of course from my stamp set stash… Paz Y Amistad!
Don’t you just love these elegant hands and long fingers? Yes… I did cut out the stamped images before popping and attaching to the card front.
In addition to the images you see on today’s card, there are also two sentiments, which touched my heart strings too…
- Con Amor, todo es possible (with love anything is possible.. ) and
- Mucha gente entrará y saldrá de tu vida, pero solo los amigos verdaderos dejarán huellas en tu corazón. (many people come and go in your life, but only true friends leave their footprints in your heart)
Isn’t the dove elegant? I added a little color to his tail, wings and belly with a Pool Party Stampin’ Write Marker, then used an Aqua Painter to blend more color over the highlights.
The pool Party Card Stock was also embossed using my Big Shot Die Cutting Machine and houndstooth Textured Impressions Embossing Folder. Wanting the design to pop from the card a bit more than usual, it was then sponged with Pool Party Classic Ink too.
Love the tiny library clips, and honestly I don’t use them enough, and I have quite a stash of them too!
The “Peace” sentiment is from a second rubber stamp set, Four the Holidays… the entire phrase says “Peace On Earth” and although I really wanted it on this card, I simply ran out of room!
Here’s a profile view of today’s challenge card. By now, you’re probably beginning to wonder about that black glimmer paper… it’s really quite elegant in person too!So.. I guess you probably want to know what/how/where that paper came from too, right? It used to be Silver Glimmer Paper, can you believe that? Here’s how I did it:
- Silver Glimmer Paper Scrap
- Broad tipped Black Sharpie Marker
- 2-3 Soft Tissues (kleenex, puffs, etc.)
- Heat Tool
Black Shimmer Paper Technique:
- Cover entire scrap of Silver Shimmer Paper using the broad tip of the sharpie marker, applying with long horizontal strokes across the length of the paper scrap.
- Now, ink it again with the Sharpie Marker, but this time make the strokes at vertical and slightly diagonal for the length of the now blackened shimmer paper.
- Allow it to set for about 1 minutes.
- Layer 2-3 tissues together, and wad into a ball. Gently pounce (DON’T RUB) the blackened shimmer paper with tissue. As you pounce, rotate the tissue to a clean area… you are essentially removing excess ink from the glimmer paper.
- Once the pouncing produces a virtually ink free sample of tissue, briefly heat set with a pre-heated heat tool. This step may be un-necessary, but I thought well, better safe than sorry!
Here’s today’s Stampin’ Queens Sketch Challenge prompt! I hope you’ll join the Stampin’ Queens Design Team this week and add your sketch based creation to the team site.
See you tomorrow with something new… LOL, if I get that top of my stamp table clean That’s been quite a personal challenge for me with so many craft shows back to back this season! If you could see the stamping studio today, yikes… probably a good thing you can’t!
I look forward to reading your comments!