Friday, November 18, 2011

Glossy Ghost Technique, Pretty Fall Card

A couple conventions ago, I made a card using the Glossy Ghost Technique.  I was a fairly new demonstrator at the time, LOL… and the card was quite simple, using Versa Mark ink, but no embossing powder.  Perhaps you received one?1.glossyghost_Convention_Swap_Sharon_FieldI was recently reminded of that technique when a demonstrator friend contacted me for help with stamping on glossy card stock to create a subtle background image… and decided to revisit the technique last week!2Glossy Ghost Fall Card Image 1

This time, however, I added layers of colorful fall colors sponged atop the Versa mark Stamped leaf images from the Autumn Splendor stamp set.3.fall sponging glossy ghosted leaves

The image was intentionally darkened so that you can easily view the almost hidden skeletal images of maple and oak tree leaves.4.embossed texture on fall sponged card

Two Textured Impressions Embossing Folders (TIEF) were used on the card, and both embossed layers were subsequently sponged with Soft Suede Classic Ink.5.trompe-l'oiel brads fool the eye

To give the card a more ‘finished’ look, three brads were added along both top and bottom/right edges using a mat pack and paper piercing tool…. an indispensible stamp room duo!

Look closely at the brads… there’s a bit of Trompe-l’oeie trickery going on!  When you look at the photo above, it appears that an additional punched circle or ring was placed  behind each brad.  Do you see what I’m talking about? 

The brads are leftover from Filigree brad inserts… and seem to have a bit more depth to them than standard silver brads.  A little more square edged, the brads have highly reflective edges!   When editing the photo, I had to double check what I actually did when I constructed the card!!

Card Stock colors used in today’s card:  Always Artichoke, Cajun Craze, Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, and Glossy White.

Classic Inks:  More Mustard, Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze, Old Olive, Pear Pizzazz

Surfing the net to make sure I spelled the word correctly… I came across this excellent example of Trompe-l'œil art created by a local Orlando art duo …trompe-l-oeil-nitche

Pretty cool, isn’t it?  True to the art technique… you can view that image from the side, head-on, etc.… still have the perception of depth and dimension.  You can click on the image to visit their artistic site.  LOL, I guess I’m going to have to give the technique a try in my stamping and card making… maybe when my next stamp order arrives!

Can you help me solve a riddle?  I haven’t been able to get an answer from anyone to date… there appears to be some sort of problem with the blog feed subscription… people sign up, and the next day drop their subscription… really weird.  If you’re one of those people, please use the Contact Me tab at the top of the page and let me know what happened, I’d really appreciate it!

Are you looking forward to tomorrow’s Super Saturday Tutorial?  I hope you’ll stop by to check it out… it’s a simply elegant holiday ornament which we will be creating in our card club next month… a little different twist for the holidays… and one of two fancy ornaments we’ll be constructing!

Sunday I’ll be sharing another fun ornament too… and a sneak peek project of a gift-able ornament as well.  Hope you’ll stop back by to say hi!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

5 comments:

Fabiola said...

c'est une magnifique technique, merci, biz

lisa808 said...

Beautiful background/technique.

inkedx2 said...

Beautiful card! Will have to try this technique as it creates lovely backgrounds.

Angie Jones said...

Awesome looking background ..... that card would cheer anyone up....must give it a try myself...Angie xx

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Very pretty!