Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Who made that mess, and SQSC10 Challenge

“Who made that mess, Sharon… did you dump out the cat toy basket?”  That’s what I heard this morning when my DH got up!   It wasn’t in my field of vision as I worked on my post early this morning from the kitchen… but the cat toy basket (24”L x 18”w s 9” deep) had been dumped out on the great room floor, it’s contents strewn from one end of the room to the other.  LOL… “Not Me!! But I’m pretty certain it was one of two cats in the room!”   Guess it was a slow night for the nocturnal members of our family!

Got to wonder though, why he’d even ask me if I dumped the cat toy basket, oh well!

Today’s card for the Stampin’ Queens Sketch Challenge is a bit of a departure from my ‘usual’ style, if you think I have one!  It’s also kind of a ‘mess’ of another sort… SQSC10_SharonField_createdbyu_Blogspot_main

A little bit of a cross between distressing and grunge!  Probably shocked my design team partners a bit, LOL.. hope not too badly! 

I’m going to change things up a bit today too, and show you the sketch first so that you can compare the sketch directly with my card.SQSC-11-1-26_on_Createdbyu_blogspot

LOL… I guess I changed it up a bit more than I originally thought! Wait until you see some of the design team creations… they stuck to the model much better than I, and you’ll love them!photo3_grunge_daring_adventure_profile_sharon_Field

So… it’s not really a very flat card.  photo 4 rolled corners and tip

I usually curl distressed corners with my paper piercing tool or stylus, but I found a new and better way!

TIP:  Use round nose jewelry making pliers to roll card stock and designer series paper corners!  Just grab a little of the paper and start rolling!Photo 5 hemp twine at top of card

The backs of the rolled corners were distressed and sponged too… didn’t want some very vanilla card stock or brightly striped paper showing up in the middle of the card!

When I first knotted the hemp twine to add to the card, it looked a little too much like a hangman’s noose and didn’t really want to send that sort of ‘daring adventure’ message… so I snipped one of the three twine pieces, and wrapped it back around the knot.Photo6 HempTwineAt BottomOF Card

Holding on to that “no noose knot” thought (say that fast three times, lol)… the bottom three hemp twine ends were spread out, and glued to the back of herringbone embossed Not Quite Navy card stock.photo 6 adding brads with a mat pack and piercin toolWhat is rustic without a few brads?  These were chosen for their color from the Metallic Brad package… After distressing all the card stock and designer series papers with the cutter kit, the edges were sponged again to make them blend a bit more with the theme of the card.  Plus they matched the mini library clip in the next photo!photo7_trinket_key_Tag_Sharon_Field_Createdbyu_Blogspot

I think this is my favorite part of today’s card share… the layered tag with a trinket key and hand written jewelry tag message.  Get it? 

“Life is either a Daring Adventure or Nothing”

AND

“You are the key, and Important”

The First Edition Designer Series Paper actually says “Importance”… but I thought it was a pretty funny coincidence to find it at the bottom of my tag when I looked at it after putting the layers together! 

So… hope you enjoyed today’s style departure Smile

Want to see a more traditional card using the Trinket Keys?  Check out this pretty Fall Card and tutorial.  It will be the third photo in that post.

And hope you’ll play along with the Stampin’ Queens Sketch Challenge Design Team this week too!  Simply make a card, scrapbook page or project using today’s SQSC 010 sketch, upload and copy the URL of your creation, and …. well, you know the drill!

See you tomorrow with a fun and a bit more traditional style card for the Creative-Sketches Design Team Challenge!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

7 comments:

Dee in N.H. said...

That's great Sharon!! Love your layers and the great message too! Have a great day!

Angela T said...

Love Love Love it! :)

lisa808 said...

Wow! Love the card and your distressing!

Gail S. said...

Another beautiful card! You do a wonderful job on all your cards! I love the card you posted just a few days ago - the pumpkin, white & black one - wonderful :)

Elizabeth Allan said...

Sharon your card is amazing. I love all the bits and pieces you incorporated into your design. So many things for the eye to look at. Great layers full of distressing and the curled corners are a fabulous touch.

Fabiola said...

trop joli ce style vintage et une élégance masculine très chic, biz

Ida said...

Great use of the distressing on this card.