Today’s tutorial comes from reader requests. Last week I shared my boot photos from a local craft fair… and you wanted to know how to make the Strength & Hope Pencil Box or Sleeve… so here you go!
Since I was re-making the box, I did change it up just a bit… but just the papers, not the bones… You’ll see!
Here are the Supplies You’ll Need to make the ….
4 Pencil Box or Sleeve!
Note: Not Shown, Subtles Designer Series Paper Stack, Simply Scored Board
Stamp Set: Strength & Hope
(1) 4-1/8” x 8” for Box / Sleeve
(1) 2” x 3-1/4” for topper
(1) 2” x 4-1/4” to stamp and embellish
(2) 1-3/4” x 4-1/4” to punch lace ribbon border
Designer Series Paper
(1) 3” x 4-1/4” for box wrapper
(1) 1-3/4” x 3” for topper
- Regal Rose
- Pretty In Pink
|Lace Ribbon Border Punch||Paper Snips|
|Wide Oval Punch||Bone Folder|
|Multipurpose Adhesive||Dotted Scallop Ribbon|
|Crystal Brads||Flower Brads|
|Simply Scored Board||Ruler|
|Pretzel Bags* (non-SU)||Stapler (non-SU)|
Step by Step Tutorial for…
4 Pencil Box / Sleeve
- Place the 4-1/8” x 8” Regal Rose Card Stock on your Simply Scored Board with the 4-1/8” edge along the top rail, and score at 3/8”, 1-7/8”, 2-1/4”, and 3-3/4”.
- Turn the card stock so that an 8” edge is along the top rail, and score at 3/8”
- Use paper snips to cut on each scored line to the 3/8” scored line.
- Clip and remove ONE 3/8” corner square.
- Use Bone Folder to crease along all scored lines.
- Measure a point approximately 3-1/2” from the unscored 4-1/8” edge (this will be the top of your box), and make a mark with a pencil.
- Align Wide Oval Punch between a 1-1/2” parallel, so that you can see the pencil mark, and punch.
- Use snips to cut down to the oval punch you just made…
- Use Oval Punch to round out the edges as shown in photo (do this on both sides of the pencil box/sleeve).
- Place Multipurpose Adhesive on a long 3/8” tab, and fold into a long narrow box.
- Fold in small bottom side flaps.
- Glue bottom shut, folding long flaps onto one another.
- Punch two Whisper White Card Stock Lace Ribbon Border pieces, and wrap around box, finger press to crease, keeping parallel and seam at back of box. Glue the ends together and let them float on the box (do not glue just yet).
- Wrap Designer Series Paper around your sleeve, with the lace border pieces peeking from either end. Finger-press in place with seam at the back of box, and use the bone folder to form a better crease as shown in the photo for step 17.
- Adjust height of lace ribbon border punched pieces as desired, and then glue down with tiny dots of multipurpose adhesive in 4 or 5 places.
- Stamp and decorate 2” x 4-1/4” Whisper White Card Stock. In the sample, the butterfly from the Strength and Hope Stamp Set was stamped using Pretty in Pink Classic Ink. Script and Hope were then stamped atop the butterfly band using Regal Rose Classic Ink.
- Wrap stamped band around designer series paper band, and finger press in place, adjust as necessary and then glue in place.
- Cut approx. 4-1/2” of Melon Mambo Scalloped Dotted Ribbon, and place a bit of Snail Adhesive on each end. Beginning at the FRONT of the box, wrap the ribbon around embellished box and attach it to itself in the front.
- Use Flower Brad and 6” Melon Mambo Scallop Dotted Ribbon to make a brad bow and attach with 3 mini glue dots to the front of the box and ribbon. (If you’ve never made one before, you can view my tutorial for the Brad Bow HERE.)
- Slip your pencils into the box, and slip the box inside a pretzel sleeve.
- Score 2” x 3-1/4” Regal Rose Card Stock at 1-5/8” and bone fold the crease.
- Slip the folded card stock over the pretzel bag, and staple in place. TIP: Staple so that the smooth side is facing the back of the bag, and prongs towards the front as you are usually adding extra embellishments to the front of the bag topper.
- Score the 3” x 1-3/4” DSP at 1-1/2”.
- Cut an additional 6” of ribbon, and form into a ribbon of hope.. refer to photo. Use tips of snips to pierce through the double layers of ribbons, and insert rhinestone brad.
- A attach to the scored 3” x 1-3/4” DSP, opening brads completely on the back side.
- Attach DSP topper to bag card stock topper.
Congratulations! You’re Done!
Hope you enjoyed today’s tutorial! See you tomorrow for a new Utah Divas International Color Challenge!