Thursday, October 27, 2011

CS54

Today’s Creative Sketches Design Team Challenge inspired me to try something a bit different.  I really need to experiment with fancy folds using retired card stock or printer paper instead, as it took me about four tries to get this one right!CS45H_SharonField_Main_Createdbyu_Blogspot_Oct11So… I created a different kind of fancy fold card.  Wanting the card to open with a flap at the end, very vanilla card stock was initially cut at 4-1/4” x 12” and scored it at 5-1/2” and 11”.  But, I quickly found out that a 1” flap wouldn’t create the swooping curved closure I had envisioned!Fancy fold flap photo 2 Sharon Field 102611After running around the house measuring everything round… in the pantry, the kitchen, etc.… I couldn’t find ANYTHING in my home with a 4-1/4” diameter which I had hoped to trace and create the curve with.

So.. I just grabbed something larger than 4-1/4” and lined it up with the scored line, and the midway point at the bottom edge of the 1” card stock lip.  After tracing onto the card stock, I repeated the process for the other side.

The hand penned dots and dashes closest to the scored line are where the  1” curve ended.. definitely not enough flap to flip!photo3 102711 Sharon Field Fancy Fold flap OpeningSo, a 2” x 4-1/4” ‘extension’ was added… but this time the curve was created 1/2” from the top edge and then glued to the first flap… notice the straight edges on the flap?  This gave the flap a little more depth.1/2 inch drop, ribbon wrapped flap photo4 on createdbyuAnd it was a good place for the ribbon to rest too!photo5_reversible_tag_With_safetypin_SharonFieldThe flower tag is reversible… (this is the back of it) and attached to the ribbon knot with a mini safety pin.Inside of_FancyFoldCard102711_sharonfieldThe stamp sets used in today’s Creative-Sketches challenge are Fruit and Flowers, Bring on the Cake, and Short and Sweet.CS45H_createdbyu_blogspotHere’s today’s sketch… I could have made it easier on myself by just cutting out a scallop circle die cut with my big shot machine, right?

Hope you will play along with the Creative Sketches Design Team this week!  Use the sketch and a “special event” theme, upload to an online blog, forum, or gallery.. and then visit the team blog to copy/paste the URL of your creation… it’s that simple!

See you tomorrow with some new/different cards!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

3 comments:

Jeanne Nielsen said...

Oh Sharon, you make me laugh! I also do the same thing -- I have piles of rejected printer paper, but I ALWAYS go straight for my brand new designer paper, and woefully learn my lesson too late! It is a beautiful project though! What a way to make it work!

p.s. If your person didn't claim the free pass from last week, I'm still VERY interested!! Just a hint!!

Thanks so much for sharing your bee-u-tee-full creations!! Love them all!

Fabiola said...

oh quel chic! biz

Ida said...

Well perseverance paid off. You did a wonderful job with this fancy fold. Love the embossing.