Reader comments and requests… I LOVE them, and read them all! Recently I asked YOU what you’d like to see more of in the Super Saturday Tutorial feature here at Created By You. Several of you asked for more card tutorials, and specifically for step by step instructions on how to make the Santa’s Magic Key ornament card I featured in a post 2 years ago.
In order to write a tutorial, LOL… I had to make a new Santa’s Magic Key Ornament Card! Both inside and outside of the card are a bit different than the original, but the theory/construction remains basically the same.
This is a photo of the outside of my new Santa Magic Key Ornament Card:And… a view inside the Santa Magic Key Ornament Card too!
Supplies for Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial:
Santa’s Magic Key Ornament Card:
Stamps: Delightful Decorations # 116517
Classic Ink: Real Red #103113
Holly Berry Bouquet Specialty DSP* #124004 Red Glimmer Paper* #121790 Vellum Paper Real Red Card Stock Very Vanilla Card Stock
Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Accessories:
Petite Pocket Bigz XL Die #123131 Extended Premium Crease Pad #117630 Extended Cutting Pads #113478 3” Circle Originals Die #122125 3” Circle Originals Die #121811 Standard Premium Crease Pad #114614 Standard Cutting Plates #113475
Note: Standard Cutting Plates are included with the original Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine Package #113439
Simply Scored Scoring Tool* #125625 Early Espresso 3/8” Quilted Satin Ribbon* #124105 Early Espresso 1/8” Taffeta Ribbon #119959 Gold Brads (200/pkg.) #104337 Trinket Keys (4/pkg.) #121892 Mat Pack #105826 Paper Piercing Tool #116631 1/2” Circle Punch #119869 Round Tab Punch #119864 Multi-Purpose Adhesive #110755 Craft Scissors #108360 Mini Glue Dots (300) #103683 Crop-A-Dile Tool #108362 Bone Folder #102300 Paper Cutter #104152 Cherry Cobbler Bakers Twine #123125
Non-SU Accessories: Printer, Eyelet
* Products featured in the New Holiday Mini Catalog 2011.
Card Stock, Paper and Ribbon Preparation:
- Very Vanilla Card Stock: 4” x 8” scored at 4”, scrap to stamp and punch ornament, 1-7/8” x 2” for envelope card, and 8-1/2” x 11” sheet to print Santa’s Magic Key Poem
- Holly Berry Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP): 4” X 4” in two coordinating patterns
- Red Glimmer Paper: 4” square, 3/8” x 2” and scraps to punch two 1/2” circles
- Real Red Card Stock: Punch one Round Tab Punch
- Vellum Paper: 5-1/2” x 2-3/4”
- Early Espresso 3/8” Quilted Satin Ribbon: Two 4” lengths and two single loop bows for front and back of ornament card
- Early Espresso 1/8” Taffeta – 6-1/2” to attach key
Step-By Step Santa’s Magic Key Ornament Card:
- Fold 4” x 8” Very Vanilla Card Stock along creased line and align on 3-1/2” Circle Originals Die so that 1-3/4” along the fold are just below the cutting blade of the die. To help illustrate this, the photo below shows the cutting area of the 3-1/2” die in whisper white. When cut, a round tab punch will line up precisely with the fold of the 3-1/2” circle die cut (photo 2).
- Cut ONE 3-1/2” Circle Die Cut using the Red Glimmer Paper, and TWO 3-1/2” Circle Die Cuts from two Holly Berry Bouquet Specialty DSP.
- Use the Simply Scored Board to score the Real Red Round Tab Punch at 1/2” from each curved end. If you are scoring multiple projects, the Simply Scored markers will remind you where to score, isn’t that cool? Photo 3 (below) shows a white round tab punch for visibility purposes only.
- Align ONE Holly Berry Bouquet 3-1/2” die cut circle with the Red Glimmer Paper 3-1/2” circle die cut. Use your Paper Trimmer to cut the two circles in 1/2. These will be the top and bottom of your ornament front and back. Note: If your cut is not exactly center, just mix and match the layers i.e. one DSP top half with the other Glimmer Paper bottom half.
- Align DSP top on Very Vanilla Die Cut Ornament card, allowing the DSP to extend beyond the fold (photo 5). Glue in place BUT do not put glue on the portion that extends beyond the fold. Repeat for ornament side two using the other half of the DSP (photo 6). It helps to position Round Tab punch with fold so that you can ensure DSP is positioned correctly.
- Now you can glue the scored Round Tab Punch in place (photo 7).
- Attach 4” length of Early Espresso Satin Quilted Ribbon to Red Glimmer Paper half, aligning with the horizontal cut. You can use your standard adhesive or Mini Glue Dots for this step, whichever you are more comfortable with.
- Attach ribbon enhanced glimmer paper to the front and back of the Ornament Card.
- Open up Ornament Card, and position the remaining DSP circle die cut inside the card. Use Stylus from Simply Scored to score the DSP along the top (flat) edge of the card, trim away scored area and then glue DSP in place.
- Back to the Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine! Align Vellum Paper 1/2” above the bottom score blade of the Petite Pockets Die (photo 8). Make a sandwich using the Extended Cutting Plate on the bottom of the die, and Extended Crease Pad on the top of the die. Note: Depending upon your machine, you may also need one or two shims beneath the die to ensure creasing of the paper.
- Place the die cut vellum paper pocket on your Simply Scored board, and score a line 2” from the bottom edge of the pocket (not the curved edge). Refer to photo 9 for clarification. Use a bone folder to crease along all scored lines.
- Punch two 1/2” circles from Red Glimmer Paper. Use mat pack and paper piercing tool to pierce the centers of both 1/2” circles, and add one gold brad to each.
- Use Multipurpose Adhesive to attach 1/2” Red Glimmer Paper strip and two 1/2” circles to Vellum Paper Petite Pocket as shown in photo 11 (below). Note… this photo does not have the brads attached yet, yours will, of course!
- Add a gold brad roughly center on Early Espresso 1/8” Taffeta Ribbon, and then add one Trinket Key next to it. (Photo12)
- Use Mat Pack and Paper Piercing tool to pierce a hole along the right edge of the Vellum Paper Petite Pocket FLAP. Insert brad with ribbon and key attached, and open the legs… don’t worry about them showing through the vellum, it won’t show when we are done. (Photo 13)
- Now, just tie a nice bow around the key! (Photo 14)
- Glue the Embellished Vellum Paper Petite Pocket to the inside and center of your Ornament Card.
- Print out the Santa’s Magic Key Poem onto Very Vanilla Card Stock, and glue to the inside, top of your Santa’s Magic Key Ornament Card. TIP: Don’t forget to change your printers’ paper selection to HEAVY Weight Paper! Here’s the Poem:
Santa's Magic Key
This key is very special, you see.
It will not work for you or me...
Hang is just outside your door.
And go to sleep, worry no more...
Close your eyes and close them tight.
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!
- Stamp to/from ornament from Delightful Decorations Stamp Set with Real Red Classic Ink, and punch using an ornament punch.
- Stamp Merry Christmas on one side of the small insert card, and glue the ornament punch to the other side, slip inside vellum paper petite pocket.
- Wrap Cherry Cobbler Bakers Twine around brads to close and seal the vellum pocket. The vellum pocket can also be used to store the key safely.
- Use Crop-A-Dile Tool to punch a small hole in the top/center of the tab at the top of your ornament card, and set the eyelet.
- Thread additional ribbon or bakers twine through the eyelet, tie in a knot… and your Santa’s Magic Key Ornament Card is ready to hang!
LOL… don’t pay too much attention to the fold at the top of my card… I totally forgot to score it before attaching the round tab punch! Yours will be nicely scored, and you won’t forget because you now have a tutorial to follow, right?
I hope you enjoyed today’s Santa’s Magic Key Ornament Card Tutorial! Remember, you can order all your supplies for this Holiday Project and more at my Online Stampin’ Up! Store!
See you tomorrow with more fresh and fun ideas featuring products from the NEW Holiday Mini Catalog 2011!