Monday, September 26, 2011

Do you make ATC’s?

ATC’s… Altered Trading Cards are also known as miniature works of art.  They can be especially challenging creatively as the canvas limitations are just 2.5” x 3.5”. 

LOL… but I happen to love creative challenges!

Recently, I’ve been participating in a challenge / swap for ATC’s.  Each month we have a theme and technique, and I always try to think “outside the box” of normal the ATC parameters.

While many would dismiss ATC’s as useless, it’s important to realize that whether you are an avid collector, scrap-booker, or card maker they can be a fabulous starting point for your personal pages or cards providing an artistic focal image!

Today I’m sharing two of my miniature Artworks and ATC’s for recent swaps.

This first one features my New Faux Flannel  and Dryer Sheet Technique, with a CAT theme…

ATC, Swap, C_is_For_Cat, Stamps, Challenge, Technique, Faux Flannel, Super_Saturday, Swaps, Forevery_young, Sharon_field, Createdbyu, blogspot, stampinup, tree, dryer_sheet, August_2011_Sharon_FIeld

Here are a few details about this Cat ATC:

  • The background color was done with a brayer, sponges, and various inks. 
  • The new faux flannel technique was used on Wisteria Wonder card stock, and then punched with the Lace Border Punch.
  • After snipping just one long side of the narrow grosgrain ribbon, threads were removed to create a carpet or fringe along the bottom
  • Two stamp sets were used:  “C is for Cats” and the lovely tree is from “Forever Young”

The next ATC had a theme of “childhood days” along with the masking technique… LOL, each of my ATC’s are one of a kind and I totally forgot to take a photo before mailing it.  Luckily, the graceful recipient happily emailed me a photo of my own art!!

ATC, Sharon_Field, art, plant_hope, welcome_christmas, masking, sponging, techniques, markers, snow, dazzling details, moon, trees, glimmer_paper, snow

After masking the moon, this ATC was sponged with Bashful Blue Classic Ink. 

  • Dazzling Details were used to add ‘extra’ sparkles to the white signo gel pen snowflakes, barely visible in the background.
  • Additional ‘snow was added beneath the children… and more dazzling diamonds too.
  • Stamp sets used:  Welcome Christmas (the sledding children), Petite Pairs (sentiment), and Plant Hope (trees).
  • Snow was added to the marker-ed and stamped trees using a white signo gel pen.
  • The ATC was mounted on Silver Glimmer Paper, and then a basic black background.
  • Pretty Pewter Stampin’ Emboss Powder and versamark ink were used on the sentiment.

Tomorrow we’re back to the design team challenges, and the Utah Divas International Color Challenge… It’s another crazy combo this week, but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the DT art!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

9 comments:

Annette said...

These are very cute Sharon. I love the idea of ATCs - maybe one day ....

Sarah said...

Sharon, I became one of your followers and I love ATC, we should get more of these out there, they are so fast and cute!

nana_cindy42 said...

These are beautiful!!! I haven't done any ATC's yet. I never even knew what they were! Both your creations are clever & well-done!

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Those are beautiful!! I love ATC's. One of my goals is to do a project progression, from Charm insert, to ATC, to card, to 6x6 page, to 12x12 page. I love to keep some handy with my contact info on the back, to have something besides just a business card to hand someone.

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

Deb, that's a fabulous idea!! I've done progressive pages.. 6x6 to 8.5x11 to 12x12, but I'll have to work on that insert to ATC etc... that could be a LOT of fun!

Fabiola said...

oh très belles cartes, magnifique, biz

Hazel (Didos) said...

Ah lovely ATC's Thanks for playing on MAWTT and for stopping by my blog, Hazelxoxo

Lisa Jane said...

wonderful ATC's / love the little pussy cat
Thanks for joining us at MAWTT this week
Lisa x

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

What a fabulous cat! Reminds me of Wickets all black mother Taz (original name Tasmanian Devil!) same mysterious faraway look. Amazing how well that large tree image fits on a small work of art.

The welcome Christmas reminds me of my own childhood in State College, PA and the D.C. area. Two boys and little me as little kid on the sled - my brothers would set me going downhill then forget I didn't know how to steer...then they'd take me for a long lovely run on the flat to calm me down before my mom could see us or hear me yell!

Thanks for the memories! LOL!