Monday, August 22, 2011

Zoo Review and More New Faux Flannel

A majestic lion, elegant giraffe, playful penguin and polar bear… they’re all part of the new Idea Book & Catalog Stamp Set “Zoo Review”.  Last Tuesday, when I shared a card made with the tall, lean and elegant giraffe for my Utah Divas International Color Challenge Card HERE, I told you that both the lion and polar bear were my motivation for purchasing this stamp set…

In this weekend’s Super Saturday Tutorial, I listed Stencil Adhesive or 3-M Spray Adhesive as one of the products I used.  Several have asked where I found spray adhesive… and there are two places you can look when shopping. 

  • Stencil Adhesive is found in craft stores near the paints, and stencils.  The can I have was actually manufactured by Delta, who also makes paint.
  • 3M Spray Adhesive is most commonly found in hardware or big box stores in the paint section.  The can I have is old… but it has a bright purple lid if that helps!

Before I get started… I want to let you know that I’ll have two announcements in Wednesday’s post this week… first, I’ll be announcing the winner of the Blue Christmas Blog Candy Drawing… and second, I’ll have a new design team announcement too!

Today I’m sharing TWO more cards featuring both the polar bear from zoo review and the new faux flannel technique.  I shared the new faux flannel technique cards with stampers this weekend at my Christmas Card class, and they loved them… hope you do too!Masculine_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review

This first card is a very simple and basic masculine card.  The polar bear and the white clouds were painted using Watercolor Wonder Crayons and an Aqua Painter.

Masculine_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review, watercolor_Crayons

Did you notice the ridge-like texture in the faux flannel background?  It’s just the other side of the tissue… and quite different than the surface is Saturday’s Baby Blanket Card New Faux Flannel Tutorial.   You have to be somewhat careful when wetting the faux flannel… so that it doesn’t tear.Masculine_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review, watercolor_Crayons

Basic Black Satin Ribbon was added to the side, and tied with a simple knot.Masculine_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review, watercolor_Crayons

And three brushed silver brads were added along the bottom edge of the herringbone embossed surface to provide balance.

This next card is my favorite of all the new faux flannel cards I’ve made thus far… It’s a Christmas card too!  Both the polar bear and penguin from Zoo Review were stamped direct to new faux flannel, and then cut out using paper snips.christmas_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review, watercolor_Crayons, Delightful_dozen, Iceberg, penguin

A basic jewel rhinestone dots the ‘I’ in the Christmas greeting…

christmas_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review, watercolor_Crayons, Delightful_dozen, Iceberg, penguinThe sentiment on this card is from the Delightful Dozen Stamp Set, and Brushed Silver Card Stock was embossed using the Northern Flurry Textured Impressions Embossing Folder.christmas_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review, watercolor_Crayons, Delightful_dozen, Iceberg, penguin

Once again, the clouds were painted using Watercolor Wonder Crayons and an Aqua Painter filled with water.  If you look closely, you can see that I did in fact over-wet the surface which resulted in a bit of tearing. No loss… I just let it dry completely and then re-applied the color… the tear basically added more texture to my clouds.

christmas_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review, watercolor_Crayons, Delightful_dozen, Iceberg, penguin

Because the new faux flannel was made with a Whisper White Card Stock base, there was no need to color the penguin or polar bear before attaching them to the card with Stampin’ Dimensionals.  LOL… my stampin’ studio is still inundated with sparkle and glitter, so occasionally it shows up unintentionally on a card or two too!

I wanted to create a polar iceberg for my polar bear to stand on… so I simply wadded, and flattened one layer of 2-ply puffs plus tissue before gluing it in place with Multipurpose Adhesive.  After it dried, I also added a little more glue beneath some of the ridge layers, not too much… just enough to keep it in place and help hold it’s shape.

christmas_polar_Bear_Card, New_Faux_Flannel, technique, tutorial, texture, sharon_field, big_shot, herringbone, zoo_review, watercolor_Crayons, Delightful_dozen, Iceberg, penguin

Overall, the card appears to have a lot of dimension… but it is still flat enough for mailing.

Which card do you like best? 

Have you tried this technique yet?

Stamps and Supplies for today’s…

Masculine Polar Bear Card

Stamps:  Zoo Review

Card Stock

  • Bashful Blue
  • Basic Black
  • Brushed Silver
  • Whisper White

Classic Ink:  Basic Black

Big Shot Machine/Supplies:

  • Herringbone Textured Impressions Embossing Folder

Stampin’ Up! Accessories:

  • Watercolor Wonder Crayons
  • Aqua Painter
  • Multipurpose Adhesive
  • Basic Black 5/8” Ribbon
  • Mat Pack and Paper Piercing Tool
  • Brushed Silver Brads

Other Accessories:

  • Stencil Adhesive (or Spray Adhesive)
  • Puffs Plus 2-ply tissue

Polar Bear Christmas Card

Stamps: Zoo Review, Delightful Dozen

Card Stock: Bashful Blue, Basic Black, Whisper White

Classic Ink: Basic Black

Big Shot Machine/Supplies:

  • Northern Flurry Textured Impressions Embossing Folder

Stampin’ Up! Accessories:

  • Watercolor Wonder Crayons
  • Aqua Painter
  • Multipurpose Adhesive
  • Basic Jewel Rhinestones
  • Paper Snips
  • Stampin’ Dimensionals
  • Pumpkin Pie Stampin’ Write Marker

Other Accessories:

  • Stencil Adhesive (or Spray Adhesive)
  • Puffs Plus 2-ply tissue

Don’t forget… On Wednesday, I’ll be announcing a new Design Team, and the winner of the Blue Christmas Blog Candy… there’s still time to enter!  Click Blue Christmas to find out how and what you can win!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I could not even begin to pick which card I like best -This has to be one of my favorite techniques that I have seen -Now wondering how to apply this softness to a halloween card?

lisa808 said...

I would say that this one is my favorite. It makes me want to reach out and touch it. So soft and pretty.

Susan Carlson said...

I like both cards, but I think it's neat how you positioned the penguin on top of the polar bear in the second card.. Love the Delightful Dozen stamp set, too! I need to find some of this adhesive spray then I'll give this technique a try!

nana_cindy42 said...

Oh, I love the 2nd card so much!!! I sure hope you don't make it in class till after my knee heals!!!

inkedx2 said...

Hard choice! I like both of them. so my choice is both! hahaha
Haven't tried it but plan on maybe using it as a background for a banner I am working on.

Robbie

Fabiola said...

oh elle est très très belle, j'apprécie beaucoup, biz

Suemacdon said...

a HUGE thank you for sharing the faux flannel tech..I'm so excited. I do LOVE the 2nd. card, but I have to say the 1st. on is great, too TFS!!!