Saturday, August 20, 2011

A New Kind of Faux Flannel and Tutorial!

Yesterday I did a Google search on “faux flannel” and came up with Faux Suede, aka Faux Flannel.  Well, this is NOT faux suede or THAT Faux Flannel… it’s a brand new kind of Faux Flannel.  I think you’re really going to like it too!
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot
Like a soft flannel baby blanket, I couldn’t think of a better way to show you the New Faux Flannel Technique than to make a baby card with a flannel blanket atop!
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot
LOL, close up… you would swear I cut up a flannel blanket and attached it to today’s featured card, but I did not. 
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot

I even mitered the Certainly Celery 3/8” Taffeta Ribbon Corners… good thing I learned how to do that as a quilter, huh?  My kids used to rub the satin off of the edges of their baby blankets, and I had to replace it after a year or so.  Isn’t it funny how kids love the silky feel of satin ribbon trim!
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot
The best part about this New Faux Flannel Technique is that you can also stamp on the textured surface!  Isn’t this little bear cute?  He was stamped atop the New Faux Flannel, cut out with paper snips, and then attached with Stampin Dimensionals.
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot
The images on the flannel blanket were actually stamped and colored beneath the New Faux Flannel surface… giving them more of a worn, loved and muted appearance.
Here’s another card featuring New Faux Flannel, but with a twist… Is it too early for Christmas Cards?
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot
On this card, I ran the New Faux Flannel focal image through my Big Shot Machine using the Snow Burst Textured Impressions Embossing Folder! 
The Bashful Blue Background was also embossed with Snow Burst… and if you’re wondering where in the world I got that embossing folder… it’s actually a new product sneak peek from the Holiday Mini Catalog… check your mailbox, my catty arrived today!
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot
Images were stamped beneath and atop the Faux Flannel surface, which was then covered with Dazzling Diamonds before the embossing step.
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot
And, another new product sneak peek from the Holiday Mini Catalog… both snowflake and tree images are from the new Bright Hopes Stamp Set.
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot
I wasn’t too sure about this new embossing folder at first.. Northern Flurry has been one of my favorite snowflake embossing folders since last year.  I think it works here, though… what do you think?
Merry Christmas, stamped in Basic Gray Classic Ink was borrowed from the Come to Bethlehem stamp set.  I thought the elegant script complimented the new faux flannel embossed focal image, and added an elegant touch.
Baby, card, bear, baby_bundle, mini_catalog, holiday, Christmas, bright_hopes, big_burst, Textured_impressions, embossing, technique, tutorial, New_Faux_Flannel, dazzling diamonds, Sharon_Field, Createdbyu_Blogspot, Double_loop_Bow
I’ll need to order more Organza Ribbon soon as I’m running a little short after making this card.  Doesn’t it make a pretty Double Loop Bow?
You’re not going to believe how easy this was to do… I’ll give you a hint though… I stumbled upon the New Faux Flannel Technique when I was playing around with Silver Super Nova Glitter a few weeks ago and came up with Faux Foil and Faux Shiny Metal. 
LOL, but there’s no glitter on these cards!
Stamps and supplies for today’s…
NEW Faux Flannel Technique:
Stamps
  • Baby Bundle
  • Bright Hopes
  • Come To Bethlehem
Classic Inks: 
  • Basic Gray
  • Bashful Blue
Card Stock:  Whisper White, Pretty In Pink, Bashful Blue
Stampin’ Up! Accessories: 
  • Certainly Celery 3/8” Taffeta Ribbon
  • Whisper White Organza Ribbon
  • Dazzling Diamonds
  • Snips
  • Ribbon Scissors
  • Stampin’ Dimensionals
  • Stampin’ Write Markers
  • Snail
  • Word Window Punch
  • Modern Label Punch
  • Sponge Daubers
Other Accessories:
  • Stencil Adhesive
  • Puffs Plus Tissue*  (are you kidding me??)
* I used the tissue I had on hand… but I’m fairly sure any two ply tissue would work similarly.
Step By Step New Faux Flannel Technique and Tutorial:
  1. Stamp Whisper White Card Stock with Classic Ink and stamp images of your choice.
  2. If you want them colored, now is the time….
  3. Spray stamped card stock with stencil adhesive.  Do not allow it to puddle, a fine coat will do.  Set aside to dry until tacky.
  4. Separate two layers of tissue.  Examine both sides of the tissue to determine which side you would like to have face up.
  5. Place one layer flat on top of sprayed card stock and gently pat into place.
  6. Stamp any additional topical images at this time (The bear in sample one, and the tree in sample two) and allow ink to dry before proceeding to next step.
  7. If you want a sparkly surface, pat dazzling diamonds into the tissue, and then remove excess by turning over and tapping on the back.
  8. If you want to emboss the card stock, now is the time.
That’s it… you’re done!  Both of today’s cards featured the same side of the tissue showing… wait until you see what I’ve done with the other side!   Tomorrow I’ll share another card or two featuring the New Faux Flannel Technique… but this time with another new twist.  Hope to see you then!
I look forward to reading your comments, I hope you enjoyed my crazy creative side!
Hugs,
Sharon
Pin It!

16 comments:

Libby said...

This looks great Sharon. Can't wait to try it - I need a holiday so I can do all the things I'd like to try :)

Annette said...

I love the idea of this faux flannel technique. Thanks for the great inspiration Sharon.

lisa808 said...

Neat technique!

thestampinglady said...

Oh my, the texture looks just awesome on this technique, so cuddly just like that bear and blanket. I love it and the steps are so easy to follow. Thanks so much for sharing. When I get to the city, I will have to look for that stencil spray. I wonder if other spray-on adhesive would work?

cathy said...

Love the Christmas card. Very pretty.

inkedx2 said...

Love this idea! I am definitely going to use it. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Robbie

Kathy said...

Sharon this is just so cool thanks for sharing how you do your projects step by step :-)

nana_cindy42 said...

Fantastic, Sharon!! I love both of them!

Fabiola said...

superbe cette technique! biz

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool technique. I love the baby cardI(wish I knew someone who was having a baby:)).

Cherie said...

Sharon, Both cards are so very cool! I love your new technique and I'm going to try it out! Thanks so much for sharing. Your blog is always an inspiration to me! BTW, what is "Bright Bundle"? I couldn't find it! Tks!

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

LOL... good catch Cherie! It should have been Bright Hopes!! I really type way too fast! thanks!

Cherie said...

Sharon, Thanks for the clarification! Don't worry about the typo, I've made plenty myself! Again, Tks!

Chocolate Orange said...

What a brilliant tutorial. I might just have to give it a try.
Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Craft World for our, 'For a child', challenge. Hope to see you back soon.
Choccy xx

Mini said...

Just brilliant! Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft World. :o)
Sue x

MidnightCrafter said...

I was inspired! Thanks for a great new technique Sharon, I used it in my Festive Friday post here. Lovely technique and easy to follow tutorial. Thank you!