Saturday, July 9, 2011

How To Build A Designer Frames Sandwich

AND… VC Rocks July Blog Hop… ABC (Anything but a card)!!  You’ve probably arrived here from Dawn Hoffman’s blog.  Wasn’t her project fun?  Hope you were able to leave her a sweet comment!

Anything but a card… well, that’s exactly what today’s Super Saturday Tutorial is… not a card, nor is it a project, but instead it’s a “how to”.  But don’t be disappointed… I’ve also got a special non-card share at the bottom of this super Saturday tutorial, and BLOG CANDY too!

Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial will walk you, step by step through building a the Big Shot Sandwiches for using the new Textured Impressions Embossing Folder Set:  Designer Frames!

These folders measure 4-1/2” X 2-7/8” each.  If you were to use the normal Big Shot Sandwich configuration, you would end up with additional creases on your card stock, something like this:designer frames, createdbyu, created by you, super saturday, tutorial, sharon field, how to, step by step, silicone pad, new product, shop online, online store, step by step, how to, sandwich

Not very pretty, is it?  The new Designer Frames Textured Impressions Embossing Folder Set (TEF) can be used to create elegant yet simple cards… without the extra lines too!

Supplies Needed for today’s Super Saturday Tutorial on using:

Designer Frames Sandwiches

  • Big Shot Machine
  • Multipurpose Platform
  • ONE Cutting Plate
  • TWO Standard Texturz Silicone Rubber  Pads
  • Designer Frames TEF

NOTE: 

There are two parts to this tutorial… first I will walk you through embossing a single layer of card stock without creases, then I’ll show you how to emboss a card using a fold-over (aka A2 card base) too!

Step by Step:  How To Emboss a Single Layer of Card Stock using the Designer Frames TEF:

  1. Remove the multipurpose platform completely from your Big Shot Machine.
  2. Position your Big Shot Multipurpose Platform so that it is completely closed (no tabs open).
  3. Insert single card stock layer into the Designer Frames TEF, and position atop tab 2 as shown in the photo below.  Take care to ensure that your embossing folder does not extend beyond the edges of the platform.designer frames, createdbyu, created by you, super saturday, tutorial, sharon field, how to, step by step, silicone pad, new product, shop online, online store, step by step, how to, sandwich
  4. Place ONE Standard Texturz Silicone Rubber Mat on top of the embossing folder/card stock ensemble, be sure you don’t move card stock or embossing folder when you do this.designer frames, createdbyu, created by you, super saturday, tutorial, sharon field, how to, step by step, silicone pad, new product, shop online, online store, step by step, how to, sandwich
  5. Top with ONE Standard Cutting Pad, and carefully place the sandwich into the Big Shot Machine.designer frames, createdbyu, created by you, super saturday, tutorial, sharon field, how to, step by step, silicone pad, new product, shop online, online store, step by step, how to, sandwich
  6. After rolling through the machine, the single layer of card stock will have no lines, and look like this:designer frames, createdbyu, created by you, super saturday, tutorial, sharon field, how to, step by step, silicone pad, new product, shop online, online store, step by step, how to, sandwich

TIP: 

The Wide Oval Punch works very well to punch out the center of the embossed image, or may be used to create an additional stamped layer in the embossed oval.

Unfortunately this same sandwich will not work with a standard card fold over!  In the following example, the card stock was cut 5.5” x 8.5” and scored at 4.25” to create a standard A2 Card.

Step by Step:  How to Emboss a Card Fold Over using the new Designer Frames TEF.

  1. Remove the Multipurpose Platform completely from the Big Shot Machine.
  2. Open the platform up so that there are NO tabs extended over the platform base.designer frames, createdbyu, created by you, super saturday, tutorial, sharon field, how to, step by step, silicone pad, new product, shop online, online store, step by step, how to, sandwich
  3. Place one Standard Texturz Silicone Rubber Mat directly on the opened platform.
  4. Insert card stock into the Designer Label TEF, allowing the back of the card to fold to the back of the Embossing Folder.designer frames, createdbyu, created by you, super saturday, tutorial, sharon field, how to, step by step, silicone pad, new product, shop online, online store, step by step, how to, sandwich
  5. Place a second Standard Texturz Silicone Rubber Mat directly on top of the Card Stock/Embossing Folder combo, as you did in Step 4 for the single layer card stock (first tutorial).
  6. Top with ONE Standard Cutting Pad. (Step 5 in the first tutorial).
  7. Carefully Place Sandwich into Big Shot Machine, taking care to maker sure layers do not shift.
  8. Roll through machine and remove card stock fold-over from TEF, you should have a pretty embossed card front sans extra lines!designer frames, createdbyu, created by you, super saturday, tutorial, sharon field, how to, step by step, silicone pad, new product, shop online, online store, step by step, how to, sandwich

TIP:

The 1-3/8” square punch may be used to remove the center rectangle from the rectangular designer frame embossed image.  Alternatively, cut a 2” x 1-3/8” rectangle to stamp and add layers inside the embossed rectangle.

NOTE: 

*The Designer Frames Textured Embossing Folder Set is just one of three new Textured Embossing Folders offered in the 2011-12 Idea Book and Catalog, and may be found on page 218.  Click on the catalogs tab to view the catalog or Contact Me to receive your new catalog by mail! 

*Shop my online stampin up store for these and other exclusive products for your scrapbook and card making projects, and big shot machine too!

*Through normal ware, Big Shot machines may react differently to sandwich stacks… if you encounter a more resistance than normal when rolling the sandwiched layers through, stop immediately!  You may have to adjust the sandwich to accommodate your particular machine.

As promised, here’s my non-card project too… 12 ATC’s  I made recently made for a recent swap!ATCs_By_SharonField_Createdbyu_Blogspot

To view the other blog hop participants, use these handy little buttons to view the next and previous blogs on the VC Hops Tour!

Click the box below to re-visit Dawn’s blog…blog previous

And Click this box to visit the next stop on the tour… Shirley Northey!

blog next

Before you go… as part of the VC Rocks Blog Hop, I’m also giving away BLOG CANDY.  The blog candy will be awarded NEXT SATURDAY July 16th… right here on Created by You!  Simply leave a comment on today’s super Saturday tutorial, and you could win the Bring on The Cake Clear Mount Stamp Set!  You have until midnight July 15th (EDT) to leave your comment!

Hope you enjoyed today’s Super Saturday Tutorial!  See you tomorrow with another very special BONUS Tutorial!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

67 comments:

Dee in N.H. said...

This is great Sharon! I will be referring back to this when my pretty folders arrive! Thanks so much!!

lisa808 said...

Thanks for the 'no lines' tutorial. These new EFs have now been 'moved up' on my list.

rebecca said...

and my wish list continues to grow...Sharon thanks so much for sharing this...much appreciated and I will now add these to my next order...you enabler You!!! :)

Patti said...

This is a great tip Sharon. Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to give it a try.

Carolyn McPherson said...

What a fantastic tutorial. Thanks for the step by step pictures too!! I can wait to try!!

Judi Szyndrowski said...

Great tutorial. Have not thought about buying those folders yet but may now have to reconsider.

jmniffer said...

Thanks for the tip...I wasn't sure I wanted these; now they have made it on to my endless wish list.

Ria Blackwell said...

I don't know why you think a tutorial would disappoint. I love it! It is bookmarked so when I get those folders I know where to go! And the ATCs are amazing!

Ria Blackwell

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I cannot wait to try it.

Elizabeth said...

No one will ever be disappointed with anything you post! :)

Love your ATCs, and thanks so much for the tutorial! I need to open up my frames now and use them!

Hugs!

kreationzbyzabrina said...

Great tutorial! I am going need to purchase the frames. Now I know where to come to learn how to use them.
Thanks so much.
Oh love love the ATC too!! I need to start making them. They are so cute!

irishgalkelly said...

This is wonderful Sharon! Thanks for all your tips. What a great reference to have when these are ordered. Nothing beats the Big Shot!!

Loni said...

Thanks for the terrific tutorial! Hugs, Lonio

judy inPA said...

these are on my wish list...now I can use as soon as I get them

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and especially the tutorial Saturday. I just go this Thurs. & looking forward tosing it.
Sherry
frogy541948@yaho.com

GloryGirl45 said...

Thanks so much for the info. You always inspire me and help me.

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Sharon, thanks so much for the tutorial. I haven't gotten them yet and was wondering if they would have the lines. love the ATC's, too.

Carey said...

Bueno!! I thank you so much for putting the information on how to do this. Darn, I took the TAB 2 off my base and now I will have to put it back on. This is the first thing we have that uses it. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas you always have.


Carey Rogers
aka Roscoe's mommy

Anonymous said...

I just got these folders yesterday- you've saved me from wasting cardstock! Thanks! -Mary R.

Betty Jo Warner said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, sometimes it's a little scary to order something new. With this tutorial I would be confident in knowing how to use these folders. Thanks again!

thestampinglady said...

Wow--I really learned tons today, thanks for having this all figured out and sharing with us. Loved your ATC's.

MJ said...

Lots of cute ideas here. Great post!

Barbara Furlong said...

I so thank you as I have bought these and just had not worked with them let.....great as always

Jackie L Watson said...

Thanks for a great tutorial on how to use the new embossing folder. Now I know where to go when I order mine so I have no lines. LOL. Thank for sharing.

Kristi said...

I've bookmarked this page so I can come back when I actually get my folders. Guess I should order them first, huh? Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

Now I can't wait for my folders to come in! I will definitely be referring to your tutorial to guide me! Thanks so much!

Brenda Hugar said...

Wow Sharon, Love your tutorial. Can
't wait for my order to come in.

stampershirley said...

Sharon, thanx for sharing this - I am saving it for later use! And your ATC;s are so cute and special!

Patrice H said...

I love your Super Saturday Tutorials. I always learn so much from you!
The ATS are beautiful I spent some time on each one, just lovely!

Pat Jandacek said...

Those are beautiful frame embossing folders. I don't have a Big Shot, but do have a Cuttlebug. Wish there was a great tutorial like yours for my unit... I have spotty luck with the no mark successes. Your blog candy is most generous and, who knows?, I may be the winner! TFS

virginia said...

I was the lucky recipient of Sharona's inserts for a simply adorned necklace and if you think theses are amazing you should see how she packaged it Thanks Sharon i am feeling pretty lucky hope the cd finds you real soon mailed it Thursday!

Tory said...

Thanks for the great tutorial on the new folders. Now I know how to use them without the extra lines!

stampershirley said...

Not sure if I posted a note or not, so in case I didn't, thanx for the tips - I saved them for a later time. And I love your ATC's - so creative! Hugs, Sassy Shirley

Cassandra said...

Thanks for the tips and chance at SWEET blog candy!! Love the ATCs!!

Lorita said...

Thanks for the tutorial Sharon. I will definitely be getting these and coming back to your blog for instructions again!!

Chris Occhipinti said...

I just got this folder, so THANK YOU for the clear and easy-to-follow tips!

The ATCs are awesome, you always have such great ideas!

Krafting Karen said...

thank you so much for sharing this! Just too wonderful for words!

Margaret said...

Sharon, you do such great tutorials that provide the right information to make the job extremely easy to do. You take away the fears of thinking we can't do it.
Thank you so much for all the education you have provided me with thru your posts.

Karen said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I love the "wow" of the embossing folders, so I always order them, but the lines would have driven me crazy, so I am so glad to know ahead of time how to prevent them. This was "sweet" whether I win candy or not.

sharon said...

I have be having trouble on VC blog hop. I hope this gets to you. Thank you for the great tutorial on the nwq Spellbinders.
sharon L

Terri D said...

Good tutorial hope to try it soon.

Terri's Stamping Stuff said...

I like the tutorial...I will be trying it....thanks

A Touch of SOL said...

Thanks for the GREAT tutorial! Love your ATC's.

Elaine said...

Sharon,
Thank you so much for the instructions on how to use these new folders, mine arrive Monday, you have saved me much time and frustration.

Michelle said...

I love your step by step approach. It really helps those who want to do this see it very clear. And what a clever idea!

Gerri said...

Awesome cards, ladies!

Nichole said...

This is a great tutorial!! Your ATC's are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Holly / InkPaperStamps said...

Sharon, your tutorial is superb--I can't wait to get these folders and try it myself! And your ATC collection is delightful. . . I think my favorite is Birds on the Beach!

Kym said...

Great tutorial Sharon!!! The ATCs are beautiful. TFS.

Cynthia Ferenz said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! Love your ATC swaps as well - Beautiful!

Cindy Ferenz
Proud Parent of 2 Soldiers

Kathy said...

Thank you for this great tutorial. I don't have these folders yet, but they are on my wish list, and I would have been so disappointed to see the lines show up on my projects.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for tutorial. Very helpful! Gotta try it now.

~Judy
jriley1096@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I will get these eventually and am glad to know that they require a bit of extra care to avoid lines. Somehow I never manage to figure out the right way to do things so thanks for shedding light and saving me aggravation when I do purchase these!
Michelle in NH

Welcome to my Stamping Blog! said...

Thanks for the tutorial on how to go "no lines' for the folders. Can't wait to give it a try!

Sue said...

Oh my gosh! Thank you for this tutorial! I was kind of afraid to order these folders for fear they'd leave creases. Now I don't have to worry about that.

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

So glad you did this!! I've been very curious about those folders. Don't have them yet, but they have definitely been on my to order list! My bs is pretty tight, but I think this will help.

Charlotte said...

As always, your tutorial was fantastic! I always look forward to your tutorials, as you always share such valuable information. Thank you for taking the time to share with us. And, thank you for offering such wonderful blog candy.

Jan from IL said...

You are the best teacher ever! I've been following you on a daily basis and have used your ideas as a starting point for a lot of my cards. I always look forward to new tutorials as I like to "see" what I'm supposed to do.

Alita said...

Hi Sharon!
Thank you for this tutorial.
I have learned so much from this.
Keep up the great work with your tuts and also on your other projects. Love the ATC's.

Sandra Azzopardi said...

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! Your tutorials are always so easy to follow! Your ATC's are beautiful too :)

JanD said...

Thank you for the tutorial...I guess the frames will have to go to the top of my wish list now

Kathy Mc said...

Awesome tutorial, Sharon. You certainly know the tricks of the trade. These new EFs create such a striking look. Your ATCs are very cute.

Susan Carlson said...

Thanks for that great tutorial. Those EFs are on my list for August!!!

Pam Millis said...

I'm placing my order near the end of the month and those Emb. Folders are at the top of my wish list. Thanks for the tutorial "how-to" - You're tips are always SOOOOOO helpful!

Lori said...

Cute ATCs!

Bonnie said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm putting a link to this post with the wonderful tutorial on embossing with the Designer Frames EF on my blog. Thanks so much for taking the time to do the tutorial.

Relly Lozano said...

hi sharon,

i have a "cute" question...what does ATC mean?

thanks a lot for this tutorial. this exactly addressed my problem with creases / lines when I use these small embossing folders.