Tuesday, June 28, 2011

UDI42 A Whopping Lot of Color!

This past week has been quite full of both ups and downs!  Early last week we received confirmation and start date for our darling Daughters’ new job (YEAH!!!  can you visualize me jumping up and down?)… and then on Sunday heard very sad news about a friend’s loss of her eldest son.  Makes you think a lot… about friends, family, my own uncommunicative son who is stationed somewhere far away with USAF Intelligence…

So… I spent Sunday making a sympathy card, and wishing I knew where our son was, and (of course) his state of mind.  Since we haven’t heard a peep from him since Mothers’ Day (which BTW was barely a peep, but it was enough to know he was ok).

Enough of my saga… today's card is prompted by another Utah Divas International Color Challenge.  I’ve been a follower of this group for quite a while, and the first time they asked me to join ranks I simply couldn’t do it and still have balance in my life!  When sweet Maxine Conrad approached me a second time… fortunately, it was also at the right time!

Our team leader Gretchen Barron comes up with some really crazy color combinations… and this one is right up there too!  I first thought of creating a brayer card  (yes, Patrice… I know I need to do another brayer tutorial and teach a class for the VC rocks group!!)  However… time was an issue, with back to back classes, swap due dates and LIFE… well… this is the card I made, hope you like it!UDI42, Sharon Field, Curly & Cute, Idea Book & Catalog, Brads, Paint Brush, reinker, challenge, design team, big shot machine, square lattice, textured, embossing, folder

Instead of a brayer, I used a 3/8” paint brush to add re-inker color to glossy white card stock.  Markers were used to add body/antennae to the butterflies… and then embellishments were added before putting the card together.

UDI42, Sharon Field, Curly & Cute, Idea Book & Catalog, Brads, Paint Brush, reinker, challenge, design team, big shot machine, square lattice, textured, embossing, folder

The paint brushed grass was created with color challenge re-inkers  certainly celery and old olive…. using a simple flicking motion.  Flower brads were added along with regular brads to the card front.

UDI42, Sharon Field, Curly & Cute, Idea Book & Catalog, Brads, Paint Brush, reinker, challenge, design team, big shot machine, square lattice, textured, embossing, folder

Glossy card stock tends to bleed a bit when stamping or using markers.. but in this case, it worked to my advantage, LOL!  I like the way the smoosh’d butterfly has both lightness and darkness to the stamped silhouette image.

This week’s color challenge required us to use the colors Peach Parfait, Certainly Celery Old Olive, Whisper White, and Real Red in one card…. it works in the inspiration piece but, boy did I have a challenge on hand!  I will be interested in viewing the cards from other design team members… my notes said rose red… so I didn’t do it right… (oops!)   Guess I’m still shocked and surprised by the news I received today, wish I would hear from our son… Either way, this was a tough one!

UDI42, Sharon Field, Curly & Cute, Idea Book & Catalog, Brads, Paint Brush, reinker, challenge, design team, big shot machine, square lattice, textured, embossing, folder

Maybe you have a great way of combining these crazy colors into a scrapbook page, card or project?? Maybe you just want a crazy challenge??  We’d love to see what you come up with!  After creating your fabulous art, please visit the Utah Divas International Design Team Blog and upload the URL of your creation to share with us (and the world)… we love to see your creations too!

See you tomorrow with a new challenge from the Diva Coffee Break Designs Team

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

5 comments:

Ret said...

Hi Sharon, hehe Gretchen really challenged everyone this time. That is quite the color combo, but they work good together! I think your card has a soft look and sweet appeal to it! I really like it alot! I love how the sun looks, it's just perfect! Even the grass looks soft! LOL and the butterflies have a soft whispy type look to them. What a wonderful project, Shar!!!
p.s. congrats to your daughter! that's super. And I will pray that your son is safe and ok, and that he'll be touch. hugs, my friend!

Dale Morin said...

Sharon, Just beautiful. YOu did a great job using these colors.
Congrats to your daughter on her job. I will pray your son remains safe and comes home soon.

Patti said...

A very lovely card. Your use of the colors is great.

Stamp Magic said...

Beautiful work! I couldn't get the link on the UDI site to go to you, but found you from the label on your photo. I will be praying for your son's safety.

Patrice H said...

OK... I'll bite lolol One supper class from SF coming up! I'll book you when ever you are avail.
Your card is wonderful as usual my friend! Great tech BTW!