Today, along with the regular Super Saturday Tutorial, I’m also participating in the annual VC Rocks Opening Celebration Blog Tour!
VC Rocks membership is comprised of Stampin Up Demonstrators and fans who are recreating the convention experience online… once a year. Before you ask, I must tell you that VC stands for Virtual Convention, and so it goes... with plenty of activities, roommates, swaps, etcetera which one may find at an actual demonstrator or buddy get together! Needless to say, it’s a very chatty and fast moving group!
You’ve probably arrived here from Nancy Keithley’s Blog… but if not, feel free to use the link at the bottom of this post to continue through the VC Rocks tour!
Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial features the Simply Adorned line of Jewelry by Stampin’ Up! (Found on page 189 of the Idea Book & Catalog.) It’s a very special card which can be customized to hold 6 to 12 customizable inserts for the Simply Adorned 1-1/2” x 2” Charm (locket)… one for every month or occasion!
What a surprise when the recipient receives this lovely card, the front of which is stamped simply with the Love and Care Hostess Level Two Stamp Set from the Summer Mini Catalog!
Yet, open the card, and you immediately see six Simply Adorned Inserts….
The stamping décor can be customized to the recipients’ favorite colors, activities, etcetera… or seasonally specific as show in the sample above.
Open the side flaps of the card, and… Wow! These inserts are reversible, complete with twelve separate mini works of stamping art! Isn’t this fun?
What a terrific gift this would make! Presented with a Simply Adorned chain, it is truly a gift that will keep on giving for months, even years! Perfect for someone who ‘has everything’, subsequent gifts could be as simple as a box filled with additional artwork aka inserts!
Simply Adorned Charms and Chains can be found on page 189 of the 2010-11 Idea Book and Catalog. Click the catalog tab at the top of this page to download it and other catalogs.
The instructions given today are for the base card including three Simply Adorned Insert Layers. As stated before, all inserts are customizable. You can decorate them as I have in the samples shared in today’s blog post… or customize them using your favorite stamps or digital images. How cool is that?
Basic Supplies for Today’s Simply Adorned Insert Card Super Saturday Tutorial:
Basic Black Regal Rose Whisper White Pear Pizzazz
- Assorted Stamps, Classic Ink Pads and Stampin’ Write Markers, Shimmer Paint, Dazzling Diamonds
- Taffeta and 1/8” Taffeta Ribbon
- Basic Jewel self adhesive Pearls and Rhinestones
- Paper Trimmer with Scoring Blade
- Cutter Kit (item 106958 / $16.95)
- Ruler, preferably with a metal edge
- Cutting Mat (to protect your table top when using the perforating tool in the cutter kit)
- Bone Folder
- Small Open-Ended Envelope
Cutting Instructions for 12* Insert Card:
- Cut Basic Black Card Stock 6-1/2” x 9”
- Cut three Whisper White Card Stock pieces for front of card, and two inside card layers 2-3/4” x 6-1/4”.
- Cut 12* decorative mats for inserts 1-3/8”” x 1-7/8” NOTE: In my sample, four mats were cut in Regal Rose and Pear Pizzazz, three in Whisper White.
- Cut 12* Whisper White canvases (the part you will stamp) 1-1/4” x 1-3/4”
* Reduce the number to 6 for steps two and three if you are making only six inserts.
Step by Step Instructions for Making the Card Base Layer:
- Be sure to pull out the Fiskars Paper Trimmer Ruler Extension, and insert Basic Black Card Stock into paper trimmer with 9” edge butted along the top of the cutter.
- Score at 1-1/2”, 4-1/2”, and 7-1/2”
- Turn card stock 90 degrees so that the 6-1/2” edge is butted at the top of the paper trimmer.
- Score to the FIRST SCORED LINE, at 1/4”, 2-1/4”, 4-1/4”, and 6-1/4”
- Turn 180 degrees so that the opposite end is butted at the top of the paper trimmer (other 6-1/2” edge).
- Score to the FIRST SCORED LINE, at 1/4”, 2-1/4”, 4-1/4”, and 6-1/4”, and remove from paper trimmer.
- Use Bone Folder to smooth all scored Lines. (Folding BOTH ways, i.e. turn over, and bone fold in opposite direction of fold. This will make it easier to identify the scored lines in the next steps.)
- Place a cutting board on your work surface to protect it.
- Position scored card stock so that the 6-1/2” edge is horizontally aligned.
- Hold a ruler firmly in place along 1-1/2” scored line and use the perforation tool from the cutter kit to perforate along the 1-1/2” scored line.
- Turn card stock 180 degrees and repeat step 8 along the 7-1/2” scored line.
NOTE: You will have a small 1/4” strip at the top and bottom of each side card flap. This protects your inserts from accidental damage when inserting or removing card from envelope.
Almost all of the inserts on the card were stamped and colored on Whisper White Card Stock using the Water Color With Markers Technique featured in last Saturday’s Post.
A variety of stamps have been used in today’s Simply Adorned Insert Card. If there’s a particular insert you’d like clarification on, please feel free to contact me.
The VC Rocks Blog Hop goes for two days… so there will not be a new post on Sunday… but I promise I’ll make it up to you on Monday!
Next stop on the VC Rocks Mini Blog Hop and tour is Kim Schwinkindorf’s blog… be sure to leave her a sweet comment!
Want more information about the VC Rocks Yahoo Group? Click the Join VC Rocks Button In my Side Bar!