Sunday, May 22, 2011

Red Scooter Watercolor Wonder Crayons

Watercolor Wonder Crayons(WWC)… I can honestly say I haven’t touched mine in a while!  So, the other day, I pulled them out of the pencil/crayon drawer and set to work.

If you haven’t used Watercolor Wonder Crayons before, they really are fun to work with.  There are plenty of techniques for using the crayons creatively in your stamping, and they have some very distinct advantages over markers or chalks!

One of the greatest advantages is the ability to completely change the color of colored card stock.  Another is that by adding additional layers of color to the painted image, the color deepens and intensifies. 

Today’s card features the On the Grow Stamp Set and was colored using an Aqua Painter and Watercolor Wonder Crayons on Bashful Blue Card Stock.

OnTheGrow, Watercolor Wonder Crayons, Scooter, Shop Online, Stampin Up, Summer Mini, Idea Book &  Catalog

The initial Basic Gray stamped scooter image was outlined with Stampin’ Write Markers in colors matching the areas to be colored.  Of course, I didn’t have a Very Vanilla Stampin’ Write Marker so I used a Basic Gray Marker to enhance the image lines.

Red Scooter, On the Grow, Watercolor Wonder Crayons, Sharon Field, Summer Mini, Createdbyu, Online Shopping, Stampin up

On first application, the colors did not completely cover the Bashful Blue cardstock, after allowing the crayon colored image dry, a second and sometimes third coat was applied.  I was really impressed at how well the Very Vanilla Water Color Crayon was able to cover the seat!

A light wash of Bashful Blue crayon was applied around the entire scooter image to make it stand out or “pop” on the page…

As a finishing touch for the card’s offset layout, the upper left corner was pierced using a mat pack and paper piercing tool..

On the Grow, Summer Mini Catalog, Shop Online, Createdbyu, Stampin Up, Sharon Field, Watercolor Wonder Crayons

I had such fun using my Watercolor Wonder Crayons, that I updated my set with the new color kit (page 194 of the Idea Book and Catalog).  I already owned the neutrals set, so when the new color kit arrived, I had a complete new set to match the Stampin’ Up Color families!

The new color kit came with four new tins too… so now, instead of one huge box, my crayons are neatly organized by color family!  It sure is nice to have an alternative to use when I don’t have a whisper white or very vanilla stampin’ write marker!

In the coming weeks, I hope to re-acquaint myself with Watercolor Wonder Crayon (WWC) techniques… and will be offering a watercolor crayon technique class in mid to late June!  Be sure to check the classes and events tab for updates!

So… dust off those crayons, update your set and start playing with those crayons!  They really are a lot of fun to use!

Stamps and Supplies for todays’ Red Scooter WWC Card:

Stamps:  On the Grow (Summer Mini Catalog)

Card Stock: 

Very Vanilla Real Red
Not Quite Navy Bashful Blue
Bashful Blue, Not Quite Navy, Real Red, Very Vanilla

Accessories: 

Water Color Wonder Crayons Aqua Painter
Real Red Narrow Grosgrain Mat Pack
Stampin’ Write Markers Modern Label Punch
Stampin’ Dimensionals Paper Piercing Tool

I’d love to see your Watercolor Wonder Crayon projects!  Leave me a link to your WWC project and I’ll stop by to say hi!

Hugs,

Sharon

All supplies used in today's Red Scooter Watercolor Wonder Crayon post are available at my Online Stampin’ up Store.

Pin It!

3 comments:

Susan Carlson said...

I've been meaning to try out my watercolor wonder crayons. Your post has motivated me!

Anonymous said...

I GUESS I NEED TO GET MY CRAYONS OUT AND GIVE THEM ANOTHER SHOT! THANKS FOR THE INSPERATION!
HUGS,
CANDYCC

Stephanie said...

Cute card, makes me interested in the WC crayons, although I normally use ink pads/reinkers with aquapainters or blender pens.