Friday, May 13, 2011

The Open Sea in All it’s Glory SFF0513

The Open Sea quickly became one of my must-have favorites from the Summer Mini Catalog.  I’m sure by now, you know just how much I happen to love this stamp set, and when I saw Patrice Herrera’s Sketch for this week’s Sketch Frenzy Friday Challenge, it was my go-to stamp set!

Today’s card features Riding Hood Red, Not Quite Navy and Very Vanilla Card Stock embellished with Riding Hood Red 1-1/4” Striped Grosgrain Ribbon, an Antique Brad with Rhinestone, and brushed silver brads.

The Open Sea, Summer Mini Catalog, Stampin Up, Square Lattice, Big Shot, Sharon Field, Created by You

Don’t you the effect achieved when tearing square lattice embossed card stock?  Working slowly, and tearing along the edge, I just let the card stock define the next move or tear.  It’s a good idea to start with an embossed piece approximately 1” larger than your desired end result… that gives you room to manipulate and tear more as needed.

To make the edges stand out a big more, they were sponged with Not Quite Navy Classic Ink using a sponge dauber… another must have tool in my stamping basic tool kit!

the open sea, created by you, summer mini, sharon field, brads, mat pack

My all time favorite tool, the mat pack and paper piercing tool were used to perfectly align and position brads.  After piercing the holes, I leave the card stock in place, and push the brads through to the foam layer of the mat pack.  After turning the card stock upside down, the tip of the piercing tool can easily be used to split apart the legs of the brad too!

The greeting on this card comes from the A Word For You stamp set which can be found in the 2010-11 Idea Book and Catalog (page 158).  Both the greeting and sailing ship were ‘fussy cut’ with paper snips (scissors) around the images using smooth curvy cuts, and then daubered with not quite navy classic ink.

the open sea, summer mini catalog, sharon field, created by you, sketch frenzy friday, design team

After coloring the sails of the ship with a White Signo Gel Pen, additional color was added to the sailing ship image using a Riding Hood Red Stampin’ Write Marker.  The image was attached to the card with Stampin’ Dimensionals.

Did you happen to notice the Compass and Antique Brad cluster on the ribbon near the top of the card?

The open sea, summer mini, antique brads, rhinestone, Sharon Field, Created bY you

An adhesive Basic Jewel Rhinestone was added to the center of the Antique Brad, which makes the compass glow like the North Star.  Wish I could have captured that in the photo… LOL maybe next time!

Antique Brads actually have fairly long legs, so it wrapped neatly around the striped ribbon to hold it in place.

Are you ready to see Patrice’s original Sketch?

sff0513_patriceHerrera Sketch frenzy friday, created by you

LOL… at least we used the same embossing folder!

Play along with the Sketch Frenzy Friday Design Team this week by uploading your sketch based creation to an online gallery or your personal blog, and then upload and link your project.

As you visit the blogs along the way, be sure to leave a nice comment… we all enjoy reading comments… it makes us think we’re not out here in cyber space all by ourselves!Next stop on the mini blog hop and tour:  Tammy Baldwin.  Hmm.. I wonder what she’s made for the tour!

See you tomorrow with a new super Saturday tutorial, and a very special surprise as well!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

9 comments:

Patrice H said...

OMGoodness Sharon!!! This card is amazing! You so rocked this sketch!!! I love your work! Really very nice. I too love this stamp set.

lisa808 said...

Sharon, this is a fabulous card. Love the layout, colors, and, of course, the new stamp set.

Gail S. said...

Wonderful card!! I also love this stamp set :)

Sillyfilly said...

Sharon I love this card! I just wanted to tell you I love your blog. I look forward to it each day. Keep up the good job. You are a wonderfuly talented lady.

Sunflower Stamper said...

Great card Sharon! Love all those details!!

Kim said...

Sharon: This card is just stunning!

Tessa said...

Yes, I am one of the readers that makes you think you are talking to yourself! :) Soooo, I'll break the silence and let you know I'm here, loving the blog - and AWESOME job showing off the new stamps! Now I want to buy Open Sea! LOL!

Deb said...

Awesome card! I love the antique brad in the compass!

inkedx2 said...

Fabulous card Sharon! Love all the layers.

Robbie