Thursday, May 19, 2011

Collage Background CS Challenge

Do you swap?  I’ve been busily working on a ton of swaps, in between classes, club meetings and senior stampers… whew!  I hope everyone who receives them enjoys them… can’t reveal my swaps until they’ve been handed out though.  You’ll see them all in a couple weeks!

Thursday is the Creative Sketches Design Team Challenge!  Each week the challenge changes… maybe so we don’t get bored?  LOL, actually it’s so that there is something for everyone (just like you)!  This week’s challenge was to create a collage background combined with a sketch.

So… here’s my card!  I hope you like it!

CS33TSharonField9q

The images are all from the Vintage Vogue Stamp Set.  The background was stamped direct to the printed Designer Series Paper with the smallest bloom from the set, and the trailing vine.

The colors I used were Riding Hood Red, Basic Black, and Very Vanilla.  I didn’t have any Riding Hood Ribbon sitting around, and didn’t want to wait a terribly long time for dyed ribbon to dry so…

Here are a couple ribbon dying tips: 

  • Instead of dying white or vanilla ribbon, use color similar to the one you need.  My ribbon was Real Red.  (Why didn’t I think of this before??)
  • Ordinarily, I would use a sponge dauber to dye the ribbon, but this time I used a stamping’ sponge, lightly pouncing the color onto the ribbon. 
  • Knowing I would be tying a knot, I made sure to pounce color onto both sides of the ribbon.
  • It didn’t require a lot of ink since the ribbon was already red… and it dried before I finished my card!

CS33T_3

LOL… the Friends image in the Vintage Vogue Stamp Set is intentionally distressed.  When I first got the stamp set, I thought I wasn’t properly inking my stamp… then I took a good look at the red rubber… duh!

Remember that today’s challenge was a sketch + collage background?  Here’s the challenge sketch:

CS33T-collage-001 (2)

LOL it would have been really easy for me to use the sketch to make a soft pretty in pink and crumb cake card… but I had to turn to the other end of the spectrum for red and black!

I’ve been thinking a lot about blog candy recently… I really think it’s time to say thanks to those who leave such sweet comments on my daily posts.  So… I want to know, what is the best blog candy you ever won?  I’ll compile your answers and try to come up with something extra special for you in a couple days.

Hope you’ll play along with this week’s Creative Sketches Design Team Challenge, and I’ll see you tomorrow with a new challenge from the Sketch Frenzy Friday Design Team!

Hugs,

Sharon

Shop my online stamping’ up store for the stamps and supplies featured on today’s post!  Click the link and then the Shop Now Tab!

Pin It!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Sharon,
I don't usually take the time to comment, but I truly love this card. I really like this set and haven't used it in sooo long. Thanks for the inspiration.. just may have to case it and use baja instead of Riding Hood Red.

Susan Carlson said...

The best blog candy that I ever won was a beautiful card from you - a bashful blue and whisper white with white embossed butterflies! In reality, this is the only blog candy that I've ever won. Nevertheless, it was an honor.

I think a collection of ribbon or other embellishments would be great blog candy.

irishgalkelly said...

Good morning Sharon! I love your card today. Your colors are stunning together and the design is full of texture and interest. I appreciate your tip for coloring ribbon! I had never thought of that before either.

My coolest (and only) blog candy prize was from you winning the Inkspiration passes for a month. I just want to say however, I don't comment to win prizes. I comment because you inspire me daily and to share the passion of papercrafting. It's not like my husband (although supportive and wonderful) will really want to have a conversation about cards! LOL!!

nana_cindy42 said...

Beautiful card! Love the colors, the 'diamonds' & your interpretation of the sketch.

As far as the best blog candy I LOVED the "Because I Care" stamp set. I love the flower & the words 'because I care'; and it's one that was only a hostess gift so I probably would have never been able to get it.

Also, I tried to go to the link 'Creative Sketches Design Team Challenge' and keep getting "Blogger: Page not found". Have a great day! HUGS, Cindy