Family Friendly Fun, and a Super Saturday Tutorial and another FREE tutorial from Created By You all rolled into one! Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial came at the request of one reader, and a forum friend.
Today’s Super Saturday Life Savers Box Tutorial includes three designs, and lots of potential! From a simply stamped Life Savers Box, to an RV box with lots of bling, or a flashy Poppy Parade Fire Truck… it has something for everyone! As an added bonus, this little box can be used to present other sweet treats as well, for instance 4 Hershey Kisses could also be put into the boxes.. let YOUR imagination roll! It’s a long one… but I think well worth it, I hope you enjoy it!
Basic Supplies you’ll need for today’s Life Savers Box Tutorial: Card Stock, Punches, Multipurpose Adhesive, Paper Trimmer with scoring blade, embellishments!
Here are the stepped up versions… a fire truck (You’re a Lifesaver.. get it?) and a hip camper / RV Barbie would love!
Here’s a photo of the simple box:
The box shown in the photo above is very simple and easy to construct! And as an added extra, I’ve shown it with a sneak peek preview stamp set from the Summer Mini Catalog, Fabulous Florets stamped with Melon Mambo, Rich Razzleberry, Daffodil Delight, and Concord Crush Classic Ink.
Basic Cutting Directions for the base box:
Basic Lifesaver Box Step by Step Directions:
- Cut Card Stock 5” x 5-3/4”
- If you want to stamp on the card stock, now is the time!
- With the 5” side against the top rail of your paper trimmer, use scoring tool or blade to score at 1”, 2”, 3”, and 4”.
- Turn paper 45 degrees, so that the 5-3/4” edge is against the top rail in your paper trimmer, and use score tool/blade to score card stock at 1” and 4-3/4”.
- Cut away the shaded areas shown in photo above.
- Use a bone folder to crease all score lines.
- Along each 5” side, cut on remaining scored lines to the first scored line, forming box flaps.
- Fold into shape and secure end flaps with Multipurpose Liquid Adhesive. NOTE: If you are planning on making a truck from the box, the center flap must be folded in first, followed by back, and front flaps on each side.
Now, I bet you want to know how to make the Fire Truck and RV boxes! Both are actually quite similar, it’s just a matter of stamping and/or embellishing. The photo below shows everything you will need. Note: the white boxes are corrections/additions.
Card Stock / Supplies Needed for the Fire Truck Life Savers Box:
Stamps: You’re a Gem
Card Stock: Poppy Parade, Brushed Silver, Basic Black, Whisper White, Red Glitter Paper (for tail lamps/lights)
Punches: Double Rectangle Punch*, 1”, 3/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” Circle Punches (NOTE: the 1/2” circle punch is used to make the lifesaver on the small card tied to the truck)
Big Shot Machine/Accessories: Square Lattice Textured Embossing Folder
Accessories: Paper Trimmer with scoring blade, Daffodil Delight Stampin’ Write Marker, White Gel Pen, Multipurpose Adhesive, Paper Snips, Sanding Block, Poppy Parade Marker, Paper Piercing Tool, Linen Thread
Optional Supplies: Tweezers, and grid paper
*The Double Rectangle Punch is a retired Stampin’ Up! Item (sorry!) I referred to it as a ribbon punch in the photo.. oops!
Card Stock Cutting and Preparation Fire Truck Life Saver Box:
- Prep Brushed Silver Card Stock
- Punch eight 3/8” circles to be used for hubcaps and head lamps.
- Cut three 1” circles, and cut away approximately 1/8” from the center of each (refer to photo). These pieces will be used as wheel wells.
- Cut two 5/8” x 3/4” rectangles and emboss with square lattice textured embossing folder to be used as the fire truck ‘equipment panels’.
- Cut two 3/8” x 1/4” rectangles to be used for tail lights.
- Cut two 1/2” x 1-1/4” rectangles. With 1/2” side aligned at top rail, score each at 1/8” and 1/4”.
- Cut two 1” x 3” rectangles to be used as ladders.
- Prep Whisper White Card Stock
- Cut one 3/8” x 7/8” rectangle to be used for windshield.
- Cut four 3/8” squares to be used as windows.
- Cut one 3/4” x 1” rectangle. With the 3/4” edge along the top rail of paper trimmer, score at 1/4”, 1/2”, and 3/4” for Emergency Flasher.
- Prep Basic Black Card Stock
- Punch out six 3/4” wheels.
Step by Step Fire Truck Life Savers Box Instructions:
- Omitting step 8, Score and prep basic box from Poppy Parade Card Stock as described in basic box instructions above. DO NOT GLUE FLAPS at this time.
- Create the bumpers from 1/2” x 1-1/4” scored brushed silver card stock by cutting away approximately 1/4” of un-scored card stock at each of the narrow ends…. it will look something like an upside down letter T.
- Use sanding block to create rounded edge along bottom bumper corners, as shown in the photo above.
- Use a paper piercing tool, and embossing stylus, or your fingers to gently round the bumper so that it will wrap around to the side of the fire truck.
- Attach bumpers to fire truck, glue the tab of the bumper to the center flap of the box, on each side… use the score line of the box to align the top edge of the bumper. DO NOT GLUE DOWN THE BUMPER. When box flaps are glued shut, bumper will extend beyond the box.
- Attach Windshield and Windows to fire truck.
- Add Brushed Silver embossed Equipment Panels behind windows on side of fire truck.
- Color a Daffodil Delight Rectangle in the center portion of the emergency flasher, leaving appx. 1/4” on each side NOT colored.
- Fold Emergency flasher along scored lines and glue in place, forming a long rectangle. Glue to box lid at front of fire truck. Refer to photo is step 9 for placement.
- Attach basic black wheels to brushed silver wheel wells. Grid paper is optional for this step, but it REALLY helps align all the wheels and wells so that your truck is not lopsided! In the photo below, I have aligned the wheel wells with the flat edge along a dark line on the grid paper. This allows me to align the wheels with another straight line on the grid paper when gluing in place. NOTE: in the photo, the center wheel on the bottom is correct, the one on the left/bottom is wrong… you want the wheel to touch the grid paper line.
- Use a white gel pen to put a comma on each tire. Three tire commas will be on the right side, and three on the left. Refer to photo above… it looks like I’m making some backwards because they will be placed on the reverse side of the truck!
- Glue Tire/Wheel Well assembly to fire truck, aligning bottom of wheel well with bottom edge of truck. Refer to photo in step 9 for placement.
- Glue a 3/8” brushed silver hubcap to each wheel.
- Glue two tail light pieces together, and add to the back of truck.
- Use a white Gel pen to fill the center of two remaining 3/8” brushed silver card stock circles. When dry, glue to front of truck (head lamps).
- Last and not least, it is time to make the ladders! The card stock for this step is intentionally over-sized. Use 1” x 3” brushed silver card stock, insert cardstock into double rectangle punch until it bumps into the metal inside the punch, and punch ONCE. Doing this each time will create consistently aligned punches.
- Move the punch over so that you will punch JUST ONE more rectangle. The other rectangle should be over an open, already punched rectangle. Punch.. you will now have three rectangles. Continue this process across the length of the 3” Brushed Silver Card Stock.
- Repeat for second 1” x 3” brushed silver card stock.
- Use Paper Trimmer to trim long sides of each ladder.
- Use Paper Snips to remove one rung at the top and bottom of each ladder.
- Glue ladders to fire truck, angling up from the back towards the front of the truck.
- Optional: Make a little Life Saver by double punching Poppy Parade with 1/2” and 3/4” circles. Draw angled lines with White Gel Pen, and attach to a small card front. Stamp “You’re a…” from the You’re a gem stamp set, and tie card to truck with linen thread!
The RV was constructed very similarly to the Fire Truck…
Card Stock / Supplies For Life Saver RV:
Stamp Set: A Good Egg, Friends Rock
Accessories: Rhinestones, Paper Daisies, sanding block, white gel pen, basic black classic ink, multipurpose adhesive, paper piercing tool, tweezers and grid paper (optional)
Punches: Dotted Scalloped Ribbon Border, 3/8”, 3/4” and 1” circles, Itty bitty punch pack daisy
Card Stock Preparation for Life Saver RV Tutorial:
Daffodil Delight Card Stock:
- 5” x 5-3/4” Card Stock Stamped and then cut and scored as in Basic Life Saver Box Instructions (above).
- Punch three 1” circles, remove 1/8” strip from center of each circle, set aside to be used as wheel covers.
Whisper White Card Stock:
- Two 3/8” x 7/8” for RV side Windows. Use a sanding block to round two corners on one long edge of each card stock piece.
- Two 1/2” x 7/8” for Windshield and back window of RV. Use a sanding block to round two corners on one long side of each card stock piece.
- One 1/2” x 3” strip punched with the Dotted Scalloped Ribbon Border Punch, and then cut in half lengthwise.
- 7/8” x 2-3/4” for greeting on top of Life Saver RV.
Basic Black Card Stock
- Punch Six 3/4” Circles to be used as tires
Brushed Silver Card Stock
- Two 1/2” 1-1/4” Bumpers scored at 1/8” and 1/4”, cut away to form T, round two corners with sanding block, and curl edges as done for the Life Saver Fire Truck above.
- Six flower punches (itty bitty punch pack) for hub caps.
- Two 3/8” circle punches for head lights
Red Glitter Paper
- Two 3/8” circles for tail lights.
Hope you enjoyed today’s Family Friendly Super Saturday Life Saver Box Tutorials… I look forward to reading your comments!
Shop my online Stampin’ Up Store for these products and more… your orders and comments are always greatly appreciated!