Friday, April 29, 2011

The Open Sea Easel Card for Fathers Day

Welcome to Sketch Frenzy Friday… I’ve been having so much fun with the Open Sea Stamp Set that today you’ll see two more Sneak Peek cards using this phenomenally fun set!

Two cards… and a few close ups too.  I had to make two cards because I just didn’t like the first one I made, and luckily had enough quality stamping time to create one much more share-worthy!

This is the second card I made… A simple Fathers’ Day Easel Card using both The Open Sea stamp set, and Nautical Expedition Designer Series Paper.

The Open Sea, Nautical Expedition, Created By You, Sharon Field

The first card is a simple 3 x 6 easel card… here’s a view of it opened and upright for display.

The Open Sea, Nautical Expedition, Created By You, Sharon Field

In the photo below, I’ve folded back the front to display the entire inside of the card.  A strip of Nautical Expedition Designer Series Paper was placed very close to the bottom edge, and anchored… literally LOL!

The Open Sea, Nautical Expedition, Created By You, Sharon Field

The Summer Mini Catalog tells us that the colors Not Quite Navy, Cherry Cobbler, Basic Gray and Early Espresso coordinate well with the Nautical Expedition Designer Series Paper patterns… but I’ve found that some patterns also coordinate with Sahara Sand, and Night Of Navy Card Stock as well!

After Die-cutting a 3” circle using a Big Shot machine, the world image was stamped with Sahara Sand Classic Ink, and then the sailing ship was stamped with Night of Navy Classic Ink.

The Open Sea, Nautical Expedition, Created By You, Sharon Field

Did you notice how deep the water is?  The water image on the actual stamp is quite shallow… so I simply turned the stamp upside down and stamped extra water along the bottom edge of the 3” die cut circle to fill the extra space.

A White Gel Pen was used to color white caps in the the water, and also to fill in the billowing sails.

Daffodil Delight and  Cherry Cobbler Stampin’ Write Markers were used to add a little more color to the stamped compass image.

Here’s the original card I made… using Sahara Sand and Not Quite Navy card stock along with First Edition and Nautical Expedition Designer Series Papers.  LOL, guess I was in a rustic or grunge stamping mood that day!

The Open Sea, Nautical Expedition, Created By You, Sharon Field

Here’s today’s sketch SFF0429 sketch created by design team member Ros Davidson:

04-29-11_Ros-Davidson

Sketch Frenzy Friday is actually a mini blog hop!  Next stop along the creative path is Tammy Baldwin.  Be sure to leave her a sweet comment!

See you tomorrow with a new Super Saturday Tutorial!

Hugs,

Sharon

 

Pin It!

12 comments:

irishgalkelly said...

I love this Sharon! I love that circle stamped with the boat image and your fantastic water. I hope I can remember your tip to making it look like the deep sea turning it upside down. So cool. I love the compass up at the top, like the boat is following it too. And of course, the new twine just takes it to another level. Can't wait to see the twine in person! You added so many new things on this one card, my list has grown by leaps and bounds!

Melinda said...

You never cease to amaze me with your talent. Your easel card is awesome! Just absolutely perfect! Your first creation is also great. When I see it I envision how great those panels would be for a bookmark. Great Job!

Deb said...

Both cards are super! The easel card for Father's Day is so clever!! And the one you did is just gorgeous!! Love your take on this sketch!!

Tammy Fite said...

Both cards are awesome!! I love the easel card idea--might have to "steal" that one!! TFS!!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love the easel card! this set is on my wish list. Thanks for the inspirations and the directions.
Gale

lisa808 said...

Sharon, I love your easel card. The globe/ship images together look awesome. What a great idea.

Kim said...

Love BOTH cards. I am seeing the panels in the second card as bookmarks for our church's Sunday School teachers end of the year gifts with God is our Compass as the greeting.

Patrice H said...

What a great card Sharon!! I will definitely use your Ocean Idea, it is perfect form making the ship look more like it is floating on the open sea. As usual both of your cards are stunning.

inkedx2 said...

This is a cute idea!

Robbie

RuthAnn said...

Sharon, these both are gorgeous, and very masculine. I love the
Nautical stamps, will have to get
them. Thanks for sharing.

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Amazing job as always! I really love the easel card. I don't have any of it yet, but the whole nautical line was my favorite stuff in the mini. Love how you made the circle behind the ship look like a porthole!

Chris Springsteen said...

Totally Awsome Card, this is one of my favorite sets, you are soooo talented with what you did with it!