Saturday, March 12, 2011

Super Saturday Tutorial: Sunrise Lake

Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial:   Sunrise Lake could also be a Moon rise, I suppose… I’ve been studying both sunset and sunrise since I made this card, and I’m still not sure what it is LOL… It’s just a card I made using my brayer, the Plant Hope Stamp Set, and sponges… hope you like it!

brayer222

I had a lot of fun making this card for an advance brayer class which I was teaching… but changed my mind and substituted another brayer card instead. 

My substitution is your bounty… because in today’s Super Saturday Tutorial, I’ll take you step by step through the process to create this Sunrise Lake Brayer and Sponged Card!

Stamps and Supplies for Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial:  Sunrise Lake Card:

  • Stamps:  Plant Hope
  • Classic Ink:  Basic Black, Early Espresso, Pacific Point, Daffodil Delight, So Saffron, Peach Parfait, Marina Mist, Bashful Blue
  • Card Stock:  Whisper White, Bashful Blue, Pacific Point
  • Accessories:  Brayer, Stampin’ Sponges, Post-It-Notes, Moonlight Smooch, 1” Circle Punch, Signo White Gel Pen, Sponge Dauber

Step by Step Super Saturday Tutorial:

  1. Cut Whisper White Card Stock 4.25” x 5” which will be the base for your brayer card’s focal image*.  *Note:  for this card I started with a larger piece of card stock and cut it down to 4x4 before mounting it to the card front.
  2. Take TWO post it notes, keeping them together punch a 1” circle.  Be sure to engage the sticky part of the note in your punched circle shape. 
  3. Cut off approximately 1/4” of the circle punch to form a flat edge and place the circle punch on your 4” Card Stock approx. 1.5” from the bottom edge.  (Refer to photo in step 5.)
  4. Use two layers of TWO post it notes each, form a horizon line and partially cover your sun, or moon… you can line one edge of the post it note duo with the edge of the card stock to ensure you have a straight horizon if you’d like.  (I didn’t LOL!)
  5. Load your brayer with bashful blue classic ink, and quickly brayer across the long top edge of the card stock…. TWICE.  Repeat if you need more intensity.P1000425
  6. Sponge Peach Parfait Classic Ink along the horizon line using a gentle sweeping motion (back and forth).P1000426
  7. Sponge on So Saffron Classic Ink with a pouncing motion.P1000427
  8. Keeping circle punch in place, remove long post it note layers, check your horizon for color.
  9. Move the horizon line up to cover most of the color you just sponged and add Marina Mist Classic Ink just above the horizon and around the sun/moon.  (View the finished result in photo for step 20… I must have neglected to photograph this step!)
  10. Take two layers of two long post it notes, cover your brayered sky and sun/moon, leaving approximately 1/8” of the horizon exposed.  In the photo below, I have marked where the circle punch is with a small pencil mark.P1000442
  11. Tear a long “V” shaped piece of post it note, along the sticky edge.  (You want a long sticky edge on your V.)
  12. Tear the edges so they are jagged and align on your card stock at the two pencil marks… to create a beam across the water.P1000443
  13.   Brayer with Bashful Blue Classic Ink, from the right side of the card towards the center torn “V”, repeat with Pacific Point Classic Ink.P1000444
  14. You want the Pacific Point layer to be fairly vivid… repeat until desired intensity is achieved… I did mine three times.
  15. Repeat for the other side of the card, using Bashful Blue and then Pacific Point Classic Ink.P1000445
  16. Remove and discard post it notes and ‘v’ torn note.  Looking at the photo below, you can see that my ‘moon beam’ was a little too wide on my first attempt!  P1000446
  17. Brayer art can be very forgiving… I simply re-tore the v post it note to a more narrow beam, and brayered over it with Bashful Blue Classic Ink… no mistakes, just another creative opportunity LOL!
  18. Place a fresh double layer of post it notes on card stock, covering water and just below the sun/moon. (Refer to photo in step 17.)
  19. Use Bashful Blue Classic Ink and sponge with a pouncing motion to add color around the sun/moon.P1000438
  20. After removing all the post it notes, this is what my card base looked like (repaired moon beam and all).  LOL.. I kind of messed up a little and touched some used post it notes to my card… no problem, they will be covered up in the next couple of steps anyway…. or most of them will.  P1000447
  21. My good friend and phenomenal brayer instructor Michelle Zindorf always says “if it’s in the sky it’s a bird, in the water it’s a fish…”  LOL… well, I have fishing poles, and I’m sticking to my story!!
  22. Next step, place a clean set of post it notes along the bottom horizon, and torn post it notes angled to protect the rest of your work. (Can you believe I forgot to photograph this step!  So.. I’m showing it to you on the finished card LOL!)  Sponge Early Espresso Classic Ink to form hill sides.P1010481
  23. Removing all the post it notes, The stand of tall pine trees from the Plant Hope Stamp Set were inked with Basic Black Classic Ink and stamped as both trees and reflection along the coastline.  The green behind the trees is where my marina Mist and Daffodil Delight Ink collided… another happy accident!P1000448
  24. I also sponged a little So Saffron Classic Ink along the bottom of the sun/moon and into the beam  and then added movement to the water using a back and forth motion, and a light touch with my Signo White Gel Pen (refer to photo in step 15.)
  25. It still looked a little flat to me (although I have to admit I like the reflection of the fishing pole..)
  26. So I grabbed my Moonlight Smooch Ink and scribbled some smooch on the reflection, and in the sky for clouds, and then cropped the whole thing to 4” x 4”.P1010480
  27. In the photo (above) I’ve intentionally darkened everything so that you can see the smooch strokes in the beam across the water as well as the clouds.  The smooch is very reflective and really adds some depth to the card.
  28. My finished card was 5.25” x 5.25”… (Cut Whisper White Card Stock 5.25” x 10.5” and score at 5.25”)
  29. The brayered scene was mounted onto a piece of Pacific Point Card Stock cut at 4-1/8” square, and Bashful Blue Card Stock 4-3/8” square.

Hope you enjoyed the step by step process… LOL, I kind of backed my way into this card… just creating as I merrily stamped along!

See you tomorrow with a quick little technique card for Sunday.. Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,

Sharon

Shop my online Stampin’ Up Store for these products and more… your orders are always greatly appreciated!

Pin It!

23 comments:

Dee in N.H. said...

That is gorgeous! Thanks!

irishgalkelly said...

Sharon,
Thanks for all the time you put into making these for us! This is such a pretty, peaceful card. I've always wondered how you gals made these and now I get to try it out! I want to start practicing right away because I'd love to use this for a Father's Day card. This is one of my favorites indeed!! Have a super weekend.

Scrappin Stampers said...

I adore this card, I think you did a great job! Looks perfect!

Jamie
www.scrappinstampers.blogspot.com

Gloria M. said...

Love this card and what great tutorial easy enough going to have to try this. Thanks Gloria M

Terry Molineux said...

OMGosh what a beautiful card and thanks so much for the great FREE tutorial. Not many demonstrators are as willing as you to sharing your techniques for FREE and that it why I keep coming to your blog. I am in a financial bind right now but really love ideas to share with my friends but cannot afford to buy them....thanking you from the bottom of my heart!

Stampingly yours,
Terry~~

Mary Davidson said...

WOW! This is gorgeous, Sharon! Thank you so much for your excellent tutorial! Can't wait to try it!

lisa808 said...

Sharon, this is gorgeous. Thanks so much for your step-by-step instructions. I really need to practice my brayering.

Donna Ells said...

What a beautiful, peaceful scene, Sharon! Gorgeous!
hugs,
de

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the brayer technique! Can't wait to sit down with the tutorial and make this card! Thank You from the bottom of my heart!
Hugs,
Candycc

Donna Bagwell said...

This card is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial - now I can see how to make scenes like yours with a brayer.

I met Michelle while staying at the Shilo last year during convention, and would love to take her classes. I keep watching her schedule for classes in the Pacific Northwest. Looks like I'll have to wait till next year.

Anita said...

This is amazing! I really need to try this.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- this is beautiful!!! Great card and I love the visual tutorial!

Carrie Sampsel said...

What a beautiful card!! I love cards like this. I'm your newest follower from the SC discussion. I'm #344 on the list. Thanks for sharing.
www.carriesscrapyard.blogspot.com

Patrice said...

Hi Sharon, thanks for the refresher on the Brayering I haven't done it in sometime and really enjoyed your tutorial. I had forgotten many of the techniques you used here and It made me realize how truly beautiful this technique is! I love Saturdays!!!!!

PS your card is stunning!

freida said...

This is simply breath-taking! I can almost hear the rippling of the water! Thank you SOOO much for such an excellent tutorial and the time you put into it! I will definitely give this a try! Bless you ! :)

Freida

Kathy said...

Sharon -You are truly an artist -I am never disappointed when I browse your blog ! I love when you do tutorials

Dianna said...

This is an amazingly beautiful card. I hadn't seen that quote by Michelle about the birds/fish before; that's priceless!
Thanks for the in-depth instructions. I MIGHT be able to create something vaguely resembling this....

nana_cindy42 said...

Oh, Sharon, thanks so much for this tutorial! I can't wait to try it! Thanks a bunch!!

Charlotte said...

I really like this card. For mistakes it sure turned out very nice. Will have to try it. Thanks so much for sharing and the instructions.

Helen said...

Wow, what a stunning card!

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

So gorgeous!! Thank you so much for all the time you take to put together such wonderful tutorials for us, and doing them for free. I love how you so freely share with us! If I can get caught up I nearly have enough gumption to get my brayer out and try something like this! lol

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Wow Sharon, another card that takes my breath away. And I so appreciate the time you put into creating this tutorial so I have a chance to recreate your masterpiece. So serene and lovely and yes soul stirring. Reminds me of the watercolor piece a monk friend painted that I just had to have that was for me a reflection of my husbands soul not long after he passed away. I haven't a prayer of learning to watercolor freehand such a scene but with your glorious details and inspiration I can come close with ink & stamps!

ellyscard creatief said...

This is gorgeous, I really have to try it.
Thank you so much for this tutorial.
Gr, Elly