Saturday, March 26, 2011

Super Saturday: Bold Blossom Rose Tutorial

The regularly scheduled Super Saturday Tutorial has experienced a slight interruption!  LOL.. there were so many requests for a tutorial for the Bold Blossom Rose featured on the elegant rose topped box which I made for the UDI color challenge earlier this week, that I’ve decided to postpone the scheduled tutorial, and feature instead, a Super Saturday Tutorial on the Elegant Bold Blossom Rose!

I’m actually composing this this tutorial while on the road… LOL I’ve been selected as a technique “Presenter” for the Stampin’ Up! Regional Event in Orlando… so as you read this, wish me luck!!  (And if you’re attending the event, stop by and say hi, I’d love to meet you!)

If you happened to miss the Elegant Rose Topped Box, check it out HERE.  I couldn’t just re-post the same box I made earlier this week because wouldn’t want to disappoint you…. so I made another elegant rose, and put it on a card!  This long stemmed rose is very 3-dimensional… hope you like it!

P1010607

Tied with a double loop bow, don’t you think it would make a great apology, anniversary, or sweet sixteen card?  I changed up the colors a bit… the original Elegant Rose was made with Pretty In Pink and Regal Rose Card Stock.  This time, I’m making it with Rose Red and Pretty In Pink card stock.

Stamps and Supplies you will need to make the Elegant Rose:

Stamps:  None

Card Stock:  Your choice… two shades for the rose, and a green for the flower.   Here, I’ve used Rose Red, Pretty In Pink, and Old Olive Card Stock

Classic Ink:  To match the flower… I’ve used Old Olive, and Rose Red Classic Ink

Accessories:  Big Shot, Square Lattice and Perfect Polka Dots Textured Embossing Folders to add texture to the flower and stem, Fast Tack Glue*, Utility Scissors or Craft and Rubber Scissors, Paper Piercing Tool, 1” circle punch, Bold Blossoms Punch

*Fast Tack glue is a quick setting and very sticky glue, which allows you to work more quickly and add layers to your project… you could use Multipurpose Liquid Adhesive to make the Elegant Rose… but you will need to work a bit more slowly and wait for layers to set before moving to the next step.

Step by Step Elegant Rose Tutorial:

  • Begin by punching card stock with the Bold Blossom Punch.  You may add more/less as you build your flower.  For today’s Super Saturday Elegant Rose Tutorial, I punched 3 Old Olive large petals, 8 Rose Red large petals, and 7 Pretty In Pink small/wide petals.P1010579
  • Emboss all the petals using the Big Shot Machine and Square Lattice Textured Embossing Folder (TEF).
  • Hit the high areas and edges of the embossed petals and leaves with corresponding Classic Ink Colors, this will give them a little more depth and texture.
  • Working with the smallest aka Pretty In Pink petals first, you will begin to build your blossom.  Use the Paper Piercing Tool to gently coax and roll the paper into a narrow tube.P1010580
  • You now have your elegant rose “center”.  Roll a second petal, but not as tightly… attach around the first petal with a little bit of fast tack glue.  Sorry.. this picture is a bit blurry… and my cuticles, well.. UGH… Alex Anderson would throw me off the quilting show I’m sure!P1010581
  • As you add the petals, offset them a bit and wrap them around the previous petal, and pinch the bottom to form a stem.P1010583 P1010586
  • Now it is time to add the Rose Red petals.  Because these petals are larger, you will need to butter them with a bit more glue (In another life, I owned and managed a tile store… buttering is tile lingo:  butter the back of the tile with mastic, adhesive, or glue…)P1010587
  • After buttering the stem of the petals, pinch them to form more of a stem… don’t forget to look at the photo below… the absent minded professor here set her paper piercing tool right in the glue… emergency clean up on Isle 6!P1010591
  • As I pinch the stem of the petal, I also roll the outer edges along the top of the petal with my fingers.  Because the card stock has been embossed, it is much more pliable, and I can manipulate the cardstock to make a lovely petal.P1010593
  • Continue adding petals until you have achieved the desired fullness.  Be sure to pinch the stem as you go along… the stem on the rose shown below is probably about 1/2” long.P1010592
  • At times, you will add new petals lower than the previous petal.  This contributes to the fullness of the flower.  Continue to stagger the layers, overlapping them and manipulating the curves with your fingers.
  • Use the paper piercing tool to curve the Old Olive petals, now leaves in an outward motion… (again, sorry for the blurry photo.)P1010596
  • Butter, and pinch the stem of the leaf, and then add to the flower.
  • Continue to add leaves, staggering them so they overlap on the back of the flower… and don’t forget to pinch to form a stem!P1010597
  • Here’s a photo of the back side of the elegant rose… it’s kind of difficult at this point to pinch and form a stem… but the leaves are glued securely in place.  Pinch, pinch, pinch to form a stem… you are going to cut it off with your craft and rubber scissors (or super strong utility scissors!)P1010599
  • Cut off approximately 3/8” of the stem… before you ask… yes, I could have shortened the petals before adding them… but it would have been very difficult to hold, roll, and add petals.  This is a really scary step… you can cut a little at a time until you achieve the desired height.P1010601
  • Punch a 1” circle to match your leaves (it will disappear beneath the flower) and glue it to the base of the flower.  This will give it a good base for adhering to box lids and/or cards.P1010602

Now… all you have to do is attach it to that special card, 3-d Item, etc.

For today’s card sample, I free-form cut a thorny long stem.  After embossing it with the Perfect Polka Dots Textured Embossing Folder, I added a little Old Olive Classic Ink with a sponge dauber to add dimension.P1010608

ADDITIONAL Supplies used in today’s Elegant Rose Super Saturday Tutorial and Card:

Stamps:  En Francais, Four Frames, Wonderfully Worn, Teeny Tiny Wishes

Card Stock:  Marina Mist, Whisper White, Not Quite Navy

Classic Ink:  Rose Red, Marina Mist

Other Accessories:  Stampin’ Dimensionals, Basic Pearl Jewels, Sponge Daubers

Just a few more days until the blog candy is awarded on March 27th!!  Are you in the game?  There are four chances to win!!  Be sure to read this post:  NO Adhesive box and Blog Candy.

I’ve got a soaking tub and magic TV in a mirror calling me.. LOL I’m soooo tired!  Next week I’m giving away a free pass to a creative site you won’t want to miss, be sure to check back for details!

Next month I’ll be kicking off new blog features based on reader suggestions and contributions… dropping a little hint, but you’ll have to check back to find out what they are!

Hugs,

Sharon

 

Pin It!

18 comments:

Dee in N.H. said...

Love the flowers! So pretty! I can't wait to try these!

irishgalkelly said...

This is fantastic Sharon! Thanks for all the time creating this for us "copycats" to view. I LOVE this card! The original thorny stem and that big beautiful rose taking center stage. You are so talented and so inspirting!! I think this would be an awesome Mother's Day card too.

Jeria said...

These directions are great. Thanks.

Susan Carlson said...

Sharon, I'm headed to my stamping corner to make one of these roses! The kids will have to fend for themselves for breakfast, LOL!

craftystamper said...

thanks so much for this wonderful tutorial (along with the humorous comments). With my love of flowers this is definitely one I will be casing. Would you mind if I made a video of it giving you credit? That is, after I have mastered it.

Pat S said...

LOVE it!!! Kinda like making the roses out of frosting (as a cake decorator, I can relate to that)...

Beth Fesperman said...

Great tutorial....can't wait to try...hope you had a great time in Orlando!!!!

lisa808 said...

Thanks for another wonderful tutorial. Good luck with your presentation--I know you will be a big hit!

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I know you will do great in Orlando!! Love your blog.

Kathy Brown
Gallatin, TN
kabstampup@yahoo.com

Charlotte said...

Sharon, thank you so much for sharing how you created the embossed flower you made earlier this week for the top of your box. I just LOVE that embossed flower! And, I like the way you used a secondary color for the center of today's flower! [I also have to say that I love your sense of humor - "clean up in Aisle 6"!]

Kathy Mc said...

Another beautiful rose and an awesome tutorial. Thanks for the taking the time to provide this for those who want to give it our best shot. Good Luck in Orlando!

Shar W said...

You make this look so easy!! Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your mini venture!

Carey said...

Your directions are great. You are a born teacher. TFS

Carey Rogers
aka Roscoe's mommy

Peg Coombes - pegcraftalot said...

Thanks so much, my request was granted. you are so kind for sharing x

Brittani Nguyen said...

WHat an awesome tutorial, can't wait to try this!

Patrice H said...

You make it look so easy! Love it and lolol your too funny putting the stylus in the glue something I would so lololol.

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous rose! Thank you so much for sharing how to make this!

Jayne Stenstrom said...

This is such a gorgeous flower! Thank you for sharing the tutorial with all of us!