Thursday, February 17, 2011

Water Color Technique Creative Sketches Card

When I think of Water Color, my mind immediately jumps to water!  Of course, there are a ton of Water Color Techniques available to Rubber Stamp Artists today, including but not limited to painting stamped images with an Aqua Painter or Water Brush… and a real art form.

For today’s Water Color Technique Challenge, however, I stuck with my original thought.. water!

Paired with the Baroque Motifs and Sincere Salutations Stamp Stamp Sets, I thought it eerily represented a sea creature or seaweed LOL!

Pearls are from the sea, so they also found their way to my Creative Sketches Technique challenge card this week… here it is:

CS20_SharonField

Difficult to capture, this card really sparkles and glistens in person… here’s another view:

CS20b_SharonField

It’s a bit different style for me, I think… but I had so much fun doing a wash of color onto my watercolor paper!

Starting with a spritz of water to cover the watercolor paper, I then added Bashful Blue Re-Inker with an Aqua Painter, covering the surface with broad strokes.

WW_BB_CBYU_SHaronField

Keeping the watercolor paper damp is essential to creating a washed background… working quickly to pick up color, and also spritzing additional water onto the watercolor paper as needed.

Next, Certainly Celery Re-Inker was added, again with broad strokes:

P1010034_WW_CC_Cbyu_SharonField

It’s really OK if the ink is darker in some spots than others.  Trust me, it will all come out in the wash, I mean the end LOL. 

Next, Tempting Turquoise Re-Inker was added…and I probably spritzed with water to re-wet the watercolor paper too!

P1010035_TT_CBYU_SharonField

Notice, along the edges, the ink and water tends to pool… that’s ok too, as you can either dry the work with a paper towel as you go, or trim at the end (I chose to trim).

Adding a layer of Pacific Point Re-Inker brought the sea into perspective.

P1010036_PacPt_CBYU_SharonField

It’s a bit splotchy looking at this point… but after the next step it will transform miraculously! 

Next, I sprayed with Shimmer Mist, made with Gold Champagne Shimmer Paint and Rubbing Alcohol… click the words “Shimmer Mist” for the tutorial.

P1010037_Fin_ShimmerMIst_CBYU_SharonField

This really and truly sparkles in person! Here’s another view.

P1010040_Fin_verticalView_CBYU_SField

Of course, all I had left to do was trim, stamp the image from Baroque Motifs, and add a few pearls!

Stamps and Supplies for Today’s Creative Sketches Technique Challenge:

Stamps:  Baroque Motifs, Sincere Salutations

Card Stock and Paper:  Water Color Paper, Marina Mist, Whisper White, and Concord Crush

Classic Ink:  Not Quite Navy, Concord Crush

Classic Re-Inkers:  Bashful Blue, Certainly Celery, Tempting Turquoise, Pacific Point

Accessories:  Water Color Brush, Basic Jewel Pearls, Stampin’ Dimensionals, 70% or better Rubbing Alcohol, Champagne Shimmer Paint, Spritzing containers

CS20T

Come join us and play along this week with the Creative Sketches Design Team… Simply use any Water Color Technique and create a card you’d like to share and then visit the Creative Sketches Design Team Blog to link your creation!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

11 comments:

Roberta said...

What a great card! It really looks like water! The pearls are a great touch. Thanks for sharing.

Adriana Benitez said...

Cool - thanks for sharing the technique, too!

Charlotte said...

This card is absolutely stunning! I love all those pearls! Thank you for sharing how you made the background.

Belinda Keller said...

WOW! This is awesome!

Following you via SC.

TFS,
Belinda
www.studiobeedesigns.blogspot.com

ArtisticInkspirations said...

Nice job on the wash Sharon! Love watercolors...:) Connie

lisa808 said...

Awesome!

irishgalkelly said...

Sharon,
I love this card! I've never seen this technique before, so thanks for sharing. I will have to give this a try and jump out of my comfort zone. Love the pearls and how it looks a little like a sea creature or seaweed. Amazing to me how you see things that aren't the norm! You are opening up my eyes! Thanks for the inspriration.

kelly_wentling at yahoo dot com

nana_cindy42 said...

Oh, WOW! I absolutely adore this card!! It reminds me of the beautiful creature in the movie, The Abyss. Thanks so much for the 'wash' tutorial! The pearls are so elegant and bring it to life!!!

Libby said...

This technique looks great Sharon. I love the finished effect. Thanks for sharing

Amanda Harbison said...

I have never tried this technique - I will have to try it for certain. It looks gorgeous!

inkedx2 said...

This card is beautiful. The tutorial was great. I am going to try this technique.

Robbie