I really didn’t know what to call this one My goal was to create a card which would hold a snack size candy bar, and have it fit into a standard A2 envelope. This was one of the projects members made at the monthly club meeting!
And so… today’s Super Saturday Tutorial is for a Snack Bar Card and a special Valentine too!
This creation was inspired by Melanie Schulenberg’s Poinsettia Treat Card on Pockets of Inspiration, but I wanted a simpler and smaller project which would be easy to demonstrate and hold a snack sized candy bar vs. a row of chocolate nuggets.
Here’s a photo of the inside of the Valentine Snack Bar Card:
When you open the flap of the box, a snack sized bar is contained within..
Isn’t it fun? The finished (closed) Valentine Snack Bar Card measures 5 1/2” x 4” which is a bit smaller than a standard A2 card. The box is 1/2” deep, which allows ample room, for the snack bar.
Basic Supplies to make the Snack Bar Card Base:
- Whisper White Card Stock 5-1/2” x 9-1/4”
- Paper Trimmer with Scoring Blade
Extended (full) list of supplies used for today’s Valentine Snack Bar Card:
- Stamps: Confetti, Filled With Love
- Card Stock: Real Red, Whisper White, Red Glimmer Designer Series Paper
- Classic Ink: Real Red
- Big Shot Machine and Vintage Wallpaper Textured Embossing Folder
- Accessories: Stampin’ Dimensionals, 1/8” Taffeta Ribbon in Real Red, Full Heart Extra Large Punch, 1” Circle Medium Punch, Sponge Dauber, Multipurpose Adhesive, Mini Glue Dots, Whisper White Medium (A2) Envelope
Cutting Directions for Valentine Snack Bar Card:
- Whisper White Card Stock
- (card base) 5-1/2” x 9-1/4”
- Embossed Panel: 2-1/4” x 5”
- Scrap to stamp and punch 1” Medium Circle for inside of card.
- Real Red Card Stock
- 2-1/2” x 5-1/4”
- (two) 3-15/16” x 15/16”
- Scraps for punching two Full Hearts
- Red Glimmer DSP
- Scrap for punching Full Heart
How to construct the Valentine Snack Bar Card:
- Place card stock in paper trimmer with the longest edge (9- 1/4”) along the top rail of the trimmer.
- Score at 2-3/4”, 6-3/4”, 7-1/4”, 8-1/2”, and 9”
- Rotate paper 90 degrees so that the 5-1/2” end of the cardstock with the most score lines is at the top rail of the trimmer. ( The end with the last four score lines will be at the top.)
- You are going to score to the 4th scored line… if you want to use the ruler feature of the paper trimmer, you are going to pull the scoring blade down to the 1/2” mark.
- Score at 1/2”, 1”, 4 1/2”, and 5”
- Remove Card Stock from paper trimmer. In the photo below, you will see all the scored lines you have now made:
- Use a bone folder to crease all scored lines.
- Tip: folding toward the mountain (bump) in the card stock will create a stronger fold.
- Now, use your snips (scissors) to cut along all solid lines shown in the photo above. Your card stock base will now look line the one below.
- Hold your card base so that the box end is to the right, and fold up box so that you can see/view where it will align on your cardstock base.
- If you want to stamp your Box as shown in the sample, now is a good time to do so. You can use the masking technique if you only want the design on the top of the box.
- Place Multipurpose Adhesive or Sticky Red tape along the longest 1/4” flap of the box end of the snack bar card and fold to form a box. If using Multipurpose Adhesive, you will need to hold it securely in place for a few seconds until the glue is properly set.
- Tuck in flaps, and close ends of box… (but don’t forget to insert your snack sized candy bar first!)
To finish decorating your Valentine Snack Bar Card:
- Attach the two narrow Real Red Card Stock pieces along inner top and bottom edges of the card.
- Layer Embossed Whisper White Card Stock onto larger piece Real Red Card Stock.
- Attach approximately 3.5” of Real Red 1/8” Taffeta approximately 1.25” from the bottom edge of the e,embossed Whisper White Cardstock, wrapping ends to the back of the Real Red Cardstock.
- Tip: I like to use mini glue dots to attach ribbons to card parts. Placing one mini glue dot on each of the ribbon, I can hold the project face up and wrap the ends around to secure to the back.
- Attach layered panel to left side of card.
- Tie a little bow, and center/attach to the ribbon with a mini glue dot.
- Attach one Real Red Full Heart Punch to the card.
- Attach one Red Glimmer Designer Series Paper to the front of the card using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Open up the card and attach one Full Heart Punch to the inside of the card.
- Stamp “Be My Valentine” with Real Red Classic Ink onto scrap of Whisper White Card Stock, and punch out with 1” Medium Circle Punch.
- Attach to center of heart ion inside of card.
- Tip: When placing the finished card in an A2 envelope, it is best to insert the snack bar facing the envelope flap, and positioned to enter the envelope first. The excess bulk of the snack bar will take up the extra room in the envelope.
Hope you enjoyed today’s Super Saturday Tutorial, I’d love to see your creations! Leave a link in the comment section to your card in an online gallery or on your personal blog!