Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bring On the Bling Part 2

In yesterday’s Super Saturday Tutorial Post, I shared the fact that I have used up ALL my old Heat ‘N Stick Powder.  The jar was about half empty LOL… but now it is on my re-order list! 

Today, I am sharing two more Heat N Stick Powder Cards in Part two of Bring on the Bling!

The first card features the sale-a-bration free stamp set “On the Green”.  Carrying through on the golf green, and Fore theme… I had a lot of fun with this card!

HeatNStickOnTheGreen493270940987

Lots of Green… LOL.  The foreground image is from the single stamp “Bring on the Green” which was stamped with Very Vanilla Craft Ink, and heat embossed with Clear Embossing Powder.

BUT… the green sparkle card stock was made with card stock,  old heat ‘n stick powder, very vanilla craft ink, and Fine Super Nova Stampin’ Glitter using the same process as shown in yesterday’s NEW Bling Tutorial… WOW!!

It doesn’t really matter what color cardstock you utilize as your base layer for this bling technique.  The Fine Super Nova Stampin’ Glitter does not reflect the color from underneath at all… it’s pure color glitter, and so fine that the cardstock was completely colored and covered!

LOL… the cardstock used in the Bling base layer on the card shown above was actually Soft Suede!!  The NEW Bling cardstock resembles Red Glimmer Paper from the Occasions Mini Catalog… it doesn’t flake or rub off, and has a stiff consistency or body.

Almost to the bottom of the Heat ‘N Stick jar, I decided to experiment a bit with the grunge look and NEW Bling… a pure contrast by nature grunge/bling… but I know several people who will love this card LOL!

GrungeTake2_432987685892987

AND it was a lot of fun to create! 

The background “First Edition” Designer Series Paper was partially covered using  a mix Marina Mist Classic Re-Inker with Very Vanilla Craft Re-Inker and a foam brush.  The change in color really surprised me when I mixed the two colors together.

I tried stamping DSP, and then using smooch spritz to age it… but ended up painting over it again with the craft/classic ink combo.  You can still see the stamped images bleed through a bit in the photo below.

GrungeTake1_214813894984329691890

The paper is not glued down yet.. I just laid it on the Naturals Ivory Cardstock to take a photo.. so it’s not really crooked!  But I think this would make a nice and quick card as well, don’t you?

In classes I teach the philosophy of Creative Opportunities... and here you can see an example of that… after stamping the “I’m here for you…” sentiment from the Occasional Quotes Hostess Level 3 Stamp Set, I noticed that I had a bit of over-stamp on the card stock…. so It was turned, appropriately into a tiny heart (lower left corner).

Creating the focal image background was an experiment with heat ‘n stick powder and NEW Bling… First the marina mist classic re-inker and very vanilla Craft Re-Inker added to the same well of a paint tray.  I didn’t bother to mix it up (scroll to second photo below to clarify this point.)

Dabbing a foam brush into the paint tray, and using quick brush strokes, painted on the Very Vanilla Card Stock. 

You can still see some of the Very Vanilla Classic Ink bleeding through.  Not sure what I was going to do with this piece at that point, I left the center void, and free of paint.

grungeframe1P1010104Next, I added Heat ‘N Stick Powder, and used a heat tool to set.  When set, the heat ‘n stick powder becomes very tacky, and shiny.. with an ever so slight odor of melted plastic.

grungeheatnstickwithpainttrayP1010105Next, a little Champagne Glass glitter was added along the edges of the card stock and quickly heated.

Then the card stock was coated with Dazzling Diamonds and re-heated to set.  here’s a close-up of that final product.

GrungeTake2b_432987685892987

TIP:  Of course, adhesives don’t stick well to glitter SmileIt was a good thing I had left the center square free of glitter!  The focal image and stamped sentiment were attached using Stampin’ Dimensionals along the edges that would touch the plain center Very Vanilla Square!

LOL.. the same methodology was applied to the On the Green Golfer Card, where the embossed image was attached only to the Designer Series paper!

If you’d like a precise supply list for the stampin up supplies used in either or both of today’s samples, please use the contact me tab at the top of this page… I think this post is a bit long already!

Do you like grunge?  I think it’s a little bit of a love/hate thing… I can truly appreciate it, and am often in awe of grunge and steam punk art… to me it’s just another creative exploration just waiting to happen!

Hugs,

Sharon

Please visit my Online Stampin’ Up! Store to order exclusive Stampin’ Up! Supplies!

Pin It!

4 comments:

Penny Hanuszak said...

Both Bling 1 and 2 are great Sharon. thanks for the tutorials and the creative tip on "opportunities" I like to make use of those too. LOL!

Shari Winterstein said...

I really, really like the first card! AND I now have to dig out my OLD heat n' stick. I have no idea how old mine is. Just had to have it and never used it! Thanks for blessing my day and inspiring me! :)

Brenda Marshall said...

I like this! You've given me some good ideas... TFS

Chris said...

I like that green glittered layer on the golf card, it's perfect for our challenge at Paper Pretties.