Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Walk with Nature, Ribbons and Roses CS14 Design Team Challenge Card and Leo Update

This week’s Creative Sketches Design Team Challenge… it began with a sketch and a plan.  Sometimes the best of plans just don’t make the cut… so with a few tweaks, a few scraps of leftover designer series paper, and elegant ribbon roses, my card finally came to fruition!

The Design Team sketch had a lot of fun embellishment opportunities and creative inspiration…

CS14

And yet, I still had to make it my own… LOL!!  I think I was just overwhelmed and inspired by my Occasions Mini Preorder products… and simply HAD to create something unusual!

Stamps, Card Stock, and Supplies for today’s Creative Sketches Design Team Card Share:

Stamps:  Nature Walk

Designer Series Paper:  Botanical Gardens, Newsprint

Card Stock:  Very Vanilla, Old Olive

Classic Ink:  Old Olive, Early Espresso

Big Shot Machine and Accessories:  3” Sizzix Die

Punches:  Jewelry Tag, 2 Step Bird and Branch Extra Large Punch

Additional Accessories:  Early Espresso Taffeta Ribbon, Mini Glue Dots, Ribbon Rosettes, Neutrals Brads, Sponge Daubers, Stampin Write Markers, dazzling diamonds, Paper piercing tool

The orientation of my card began vertical… but space constraints required a horizontal alignment…  the photo doesn’t really show it, but there are dazzling diamonds on the wings of the tiny bee!

CS14_SharonField

After debating adding a greeting/sentiment to this card, I chose not to add one…  but the jury is still out, what do you think?  It might make a nice ‘thinking of you’ card… maybe!

All the Details:

    • Early Espresso Classic Ink  was applies to all edges of Designer Series papers using a sponge dauber
    • Layers were assembled/attached… but not to the Very Vanilla Card Base
    • Neutral Brads were added to the jewelry tag punches after precision center piercing with a paper piercing tool.
    • After stamping the tall floral image from the Nature Walk Stamp Set with Pear Pizzazz Classic Ink, the blooms aka blossoms were dotted with the fine point of a Marina Mist Stampin’ Write Marker.
    • Marina Mist Classic Ink and a sponge dauber were used to add color along the edges of the 3” big shot sizzix circle die.
    • The tiny bee from the Nature Walk Stamp Set was stamped with early espresso Classic Ink
    • Tombow Multi Adhesive was added sparingly to the wings of the bee, and then sprinkled with Dazzling Diamonds.
    • SNAIL adhesive was applied to the reverse side of the 3” circle… right at the edge
    • A ruffle of Early Espresso Taffeta Ribbon was added to the edge of the 3” circle
    • The circle was popped onto the DSP using Stampin’ Dimensionals
    • Two Leaves were punched of Old Olive Card Stock using the two step bird and branch punch, and attached along the side of the circle
    • Ribbon Rosettes were attached atop the leaves with mini glue dots
    • A small ribbon bow was created with taffeta ribbon and neutral brad, and then attached to front of card with mini glue dots.

On a personal note….

It’s been a crazy winter here in Florida… after having the flu for well over a month in October and early November, my DD and DH have come down with yet another version of the flu… YIKES!!  Their symptoms are so different than the ones I experienced… and I am avoiding them both like the plague!!  There is way too much on my agenda to get sick… and I’m doing everything I can think of to avoid it, including wiping down door handles, faucets, etc. with Clorox daily!  So far, I’m lucking out…

Many of you have asked about our little Leo…

Our little Leo (we’ve had him 11 years) is not faring well… after being diagnosed with diabetes and cancer of the kidneys, our best hope was to give him quality of life.  He’s been holding his own… however has lost a tremendous amount of weight over the past 7 or 8 months.  Once a fluffy and active 20 lb cat with an attitude.. he’s withered away to 8 lbs.  I almost want to cry each time I pick him up!  We’ve switched him to distilled water, wet cat food, and even kitten food… but after a temporary weight gain, has begun losing again. 

Leo still continues to have his playful and energetic moments, however they are fewer and fewer… he does not appear to be in any pain, but takes very long naps during the day and loves to be held.  With all his tiny indulgences met, he continues to live with quality, although I’m not sure how much longer that will continue… It is so sad to lose an endeared pet… and I’m afraid it won’t be much longer.

His sibling Cosmo seems to know what is going on, and respectfully retreats when we are feeding Leo his “special” meals.  Of course, he continues to taunt, tease and incite him to occasional battles… but backs down when Leo lets him know he’s had enough.  It’s been pretty interesting watching these two siblings adjust and adapt!

We continue to enjoy the playful periods which they have… and wonder what Cosmo will do when his brother is no longer with us… we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it I guess!

Thanks for visiting!  I hope you’ll play along with the Creative Sketches Design Team this week… it’s perhaps the most creative and unusual challenge on the web!  Simply upload your challenge based project… card, scrapbook page or 3d project to an online gallery (splitcoaststampers, photobucket, flickr, etc… ) or you personal blog and then visit the Creative Sketches Design Team Blog to upload your creation!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Beautiful card! I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I've been through that myself and know how hard it is. Prayers for you and your family.

Dorothy said...

Oh Sharon... My heart is breaking for you and your little Leo. I'm so sorry to hear it. Being a mother to 2 furry babies myself, I can only imagine. I'm sending you hugs and Leo warm cuddles. I'm keeping you all in my prsyers. I hope your DD and DH get well soon, and that you don't get it. XOXOXOX

Teressa Thompson said...

Your post today is filled with highs, lows and OMGs. I love your take on the sketch! It makes me cry thinking about pooor Leo and OMG stay away from the sick family! You can't be sick for your trip. Is K still going with you?

nana_cindy42 said...

I love this card, the colors and the Nature Walk stamp set. I'm so glad I ordered it yesterday. And of course the tiny roses, bow & branch. Yes, it would make a nice 'thinking of you' card, but I wouldn't stamp it on the outside. I'd put it inside.
Speedbump and I are pullin' for your Leo. Hoping he will have a comfortable time left. He seems like he's still feeling okay.
Have a great time in TN! Be safe!

Carol said...

I absolutely love this stamp set (and paper)- it is at the top of my next shopping list! Thank you for sharing your beautiful card... So sorry to hear about your Leo - our Squeakers is 11 and still crazy and cranky and all of the other things cats are...we send our love and pats to you both!