This week, the Diva Coffee Break Designs Team brings you a color challenge! The colors for this week’s challenge are Sahara Sand, Not Quite Navy, and Bashful Blue… sounds pretty easy, doesn’t it? So why not play along with the Design Team members this week! Many of us are, weather permitting, attending the Stampin’ Up! Leadership Convention… but we’ll still be checking your entries and visiting your blogs!
Here’s the DCBD Color Challenge Template:
For my color challenge entry, I’ve chosen the Occasions Mini Catalog Stamp Set Nature Walk, along with Idea Book & Catalog Stamp Sets: Baroque Motifs, Silhouette Sentiments and Notably Ornate. My card is accessorized with Black Jewels, Dazzling Diamonds, Linen Thread, Basic Jewel Rhinestones, Faux Stitching, and Mini Vintage Brads… now that’s an interesting combination of materials don’t you think?
So… are you as surprised by the results as I was? This was truly a creative evolution… I had cut out the Botanical Gazette Designer Series Paper for another project and realizing it met the Sahara Sand Color Challenge requirement, decided to use it on my card.
- After stamping the bird cage from Nature Walk onto the DSP, however… it appeared a little flat and lost. So, I stamped a second image with Basic Gray Classic Ink onto Sahara Sand Card Stock, cut it out and added it over the top of the image I had stamped earlier.
- Still a little drab and dreary, I used an Aqua Painter and Bashful Blue Classic Ink to add both shadow surrounding the birdcage, and to highlight areas of the bird cage.
- Tip: finding out where to add the highlights on a popped up item is easy… simply add a light source (shine a flashlight or put a lamp near the image) and paint over the shadows you see on the paper!
- After stamping the row of eggs, additional Bashful Blue color was added with my Aqua Painter… and shadows along the bottom of the edge of the row of eggs, mimicking the shadows I had made on the bird cage.
- It was still a little blah… so out came the Baroque Motifs Stamp and Notably Ornate Stamp sets… mat pack and paper piercing tool, and finally linen thread and mini vintage tag.
- The bird was stamped with Not Quite Navy Classic Ink onto Bashful Blue Cardstock, after curling the wings a bit with my fingers, attached with a narrow line of Tombow Multi-Purpose Adhesive to the card…. so the head, wings, and tail remain free to soar.
- The sentiment ‘thank you’ from the silhouette sentiments stamp set fit perfectly onto the mini vintage tag, which was popped with a stampin’ dimensional, and then dazzling diamonds were strategically added using a very tiny bit of Tombow Multi-Purpose Adhesive.
- As a final touch, the entire card front was spritzed with Shimmer Mist from my tutorial, a real dazzling delight!
All in all, I think it came out pretty cool, considering it began as a drab and blah card LOL!!!
Stamps, Cardstock and Supplies used for today’s DCBD 210 Color Challenge Card:
- Stamps: Nature Walk, Notably Ornate, Baroque Motifs, Silhouette Sentiments
- Card Stock: Sahara Sand, Bashful Blue, Not Quite Navy
- Classic Ink: Not Quite Navy, Bashful Blue, Basic Gray
- Accessories: Basic Black Jewels, Mini Vintage Tags, Linen Thread, Basic Rhinestone Jewels, Mat Pack, Paper Piercing Tool, Not quite Navy Stampin’ Write Marker, Aqua Painter, Tombow Multi-Purpose Adhesive, Champagne Shimmer Paint, Rubbing Alcohol, Dazzling Diamonds, Stampin’ Dimensionals.
Stay tuned for updates from leadership… If I made it over the mountain, I’ll be sharing faces, places, and fun!