Thursday, January 13, 2011

Creative Sketches Color Challenge CAS Bliss & Bling Embossed Card

Bliss and Bling.. they just go together naturally, don’t you think?  Today’s Creative Sketches Color Challenge was probably intended to inspire a New Year card… but that would be the expected thing, wouldn’t it?

This week’s Creative Sketches Design Team Challenge is color inspired, Basic Black, Whisper White, and Brushed Silver.  This card came together very quickly, I LOVE these colors together!!

I hadn’t embossed the Bliss Sale-A-Bration stamp set yet… but today’s color challenge cried out for embossing… and a little bling LOL!  So, with the help of the Thoughts and Prayers, and Bliss Stamp Sets, a very quick, Clean and Simple (CAS) workshop suitable card was born! 

Here’s the Creative Sketch Color Inspiration block for CS15:CS15Pretty cool, isn’t it?  I’d love to have a sheet of that bashful blue herringbone paper in the back ground too… the bucket of brushed silver really cried for glitter… but for once, I decided to leave this CAS card as it was… clean, simple, elegant.  Here’s my challenge card:CS15_sharonField

Love the scrunched ribbon technique… the 5/8” satin ribbon just flows along the edge of this card like a river of tears…

Praying for You was borrowed from the Thoughts and Prayers Stamp sets, one of my staple favorites.  I don’t often think of praying for you cards as having bling on them.. but the bling here reminds me of sparkling bright happy days, sunshine and warmth.   Maybe too much symbolism for early morning coffee routine… I’m sure my friend Esther will let me know LOL!

Todays Stamping and Embossing Tips from Created By You: 

  • When preparing to emboss cardstock, pat first with an embossing buddy. 
  • If you use a lot of hand cream or have oily skin… pat your fingers with the embossing buddy too!
  • Turn on the heat tool and allow it to heat up before you plan to use it… this will help prevent burning the card stock.
  • Use the tip of your SNIPS and/or non-stick scissors to to remove AND place basic jewel rhinestones…. opening the scissor tip slightly, slip them under the jewel, close slightly and lift.  Position on your project, press down with one finger, and then open tips of SNIPS to release!
  • Put a piece of macaroni noodle in your embossing powder to absorb humidity and moisture.
  • If you live in a humid environment, put unused embossing powder back in the jar as soon as you are done working, and seal.  If you’ve had the powder out for an extended time, consider discarding it.

Stamps and Supplies used on today’s Creative Sketches CS15 Color Challenge:

  • Stamps:  Bliss, Thoughts and Prayers
  • Card Stock:  Basic Black, Brushed Silver, Whisper White
  • Accessories:  5/8” Whisper White Satin Ribbon, Designer Label Punch, Basic Jewel Rhinestones, Heat Tool, Embossing Buddy, Powder Pal, Silver Embossing Powder, Basic Black Stampin’ Write Marker, Versamark Ink Pad, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots
  • Technique:  Embossing, Ribbon Scrunching.

Bliss and Bling… what a combination… I mailed this card right after I made it… I hope it brings some comfort to the family receiving it.

Play along with the Design Team this week.. this is a VERY easy combo to attempt!  Simply upload your color challenge based card to your online gallery (Flickr, Photobucket, splitcoaststampers, etc.) or blog and then visit the Creative Sketches Design Team Blog to add your item to our challenge post! 

Psst… Don’t forget to visit the rest of the Creative Sketches Design Team Blogs this week’s participants are all loaded on the CSDT Blog too!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

7 comments:

Ret said...

Hi Sharon! I LLLOVE this post! Love the card as well, but have a question...HOWWWWWWW did you get that ribbon to look like it's not only "flowing" but it looks like it's "floating"!!! How did you do that? It really doesn't look like it's tacked down at all. (I'm sure it must be, but it honestly doesn't have the "tacked/taped look". It's very lovely.
Thanks so very much for the inspiration and also for the tips, they are great, and a few I had never heard or thought of. Thanks so much for this post. I really love the card. hugs!

Teressa Thompson said...

Ret, I'm sure she'll send you a response, but she has the BEST tutorial on how to do that ribbon technique. ANd it's just an amazing thing to watch in person. She does it in her workshops and clubs too!

Sharon... Sharon... Sharon... even when you are away you never cease to amaze! Fabulous and I knew you'd be all over this challenge! LOL

Love it and Love ya~

Tee

Patrice H said...

The previous reader is right that ribbon treatment is amazing. It looks like a waterfall coming down. Your CAS card is beautiful!

nana_cindy42 said...

Me, too! And I agree also with comments on the ribbon. I thought the very same thing.
Hope you are having a grand time in TN.

Created By You said...

Hi Ret, just got in from a very long evening at leadership... I've been reading your comment about the ribbon! Thanks Tee for directing her to the tutorial!!
The flowing ribbon was created using mini glue dots, which I secured along the card stock (not directly on the ribbon). Wrapping one end of the ribbon around to the back of the card stock, I formed a small loop with the tips of my paper snips... and then attached to the glue dot on the card stock. This action was repeated across the card. Purposefully, sometimes I have the ribbon twist right and left.. just trying to achieve a flow. Wish you were here.. I'd love to share and show you how to do it.. hmmm.. maybe I'll do a video soon!
Hugs, thanks for following!
Sharon

Ret said...

I must of missed something...Tee where is the tutorial? Sharon, I wish I was there too! OHHHHHHHH do I wish that! I would have so much fun from you & learn so very much.
Maybe someday. *sigh*

p.s. a video would be super awesome!

p.p.s.-so kind of you to take time out after your busy day at Leadership to respond to me. hugz!!

Created By You said...

Hi Ret... it's basically the same principle as the tutorial shown: http://createdbyu.blogspot.com/2010/08/7-steps-to-fabulous-scrunch-bow-for.html but instead of using little pieces of sticky tape, I used mini glue dots! You can find this and other tutorial on the tutorials tab just below my blog header!
Big Hugs,
Sharon