Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Color Challenge: Bring on the Cake with a Colorful Balloon Bouquet

Things have settled down a bit from the hustle and bustle of last week’s Stampin’ Up! Leadership Conference in Nashville, Tennessee!  We all had such a good time… it’s fun to meet so many wonderful and friendly demonstrators from the US and Canada!  In spite of the weather, we have returned home safe and sound with lots of swaps, new business ideas, stamps, and new plans for our businesses!

Last week, I shared a Clean and Simple (CAS) Birthday Card for the Utah Divas International Design Team Color Challenge… This week’s Color Challenge Card is quite different!  A colorful balloon bouquet, and images from the Bring on the Cake Stamp Set and polka dot background really brought this fun little birthday card together for me!

Bright and bold card stock colors used were Garden Green, Peach Parfait, Real Red, and Basic Black.  I had a little trouble getting the peach parfait to show up true to color in this photo… but it is really, Peach Parfait!

UDI19_SharonField

 

A bit of scrunched ribbon was placed along the bottom of the birthday card.. I needed some sort of lead-in for the hand holding a balloon bouquet.  The ribbon scrunching technique was used to add the loopy ribbon to the card… but I used mini glue dots to attach it instead of Sticky Tape.  Picking up each Mini Glue dot with the tip of my paper snips, I can place and arrange the next loop easily!

The hand image includes the greeting… so to get the dimension and two tone look, I actually stamped it twice, once in Basic Gray, and a second time in Real Red Classic Ink.  An exacto knife was used to cut around the finger tips, and the new sign inserted beneath with a pop dot.  Of course, I could have just used a Stampin Write Markers and colored the stamp… but for some reason, I didn’t LOL!

The same is true of the Happy Birthday Cake image… again, I could have used Stampin’ Write Markers to color onto the stamp… but instead stamped the image first, and then used the markers to color just along the edges of the stamped image.  Distressing along the edges was done using the stampin’ up cutter kit!

Hemp twine was tied through an eyelet in each mini oval punched balloon.  I don’t use hemp twine a lot, often it seems a bit heavy for my cards and so I’ll opt to use linen thread… but this card needed the  balance of the heavier twine.  Adding a ‘comma’ to the balloon with a White Signo Gel Pen added a little dimension!

Don’t you just love your crop-a-dile tool?  It’s so much easier to set those silly eyelets.. and a whole lot quieter too… no more bang, bang, bang or shaking the table.  I’m always surprised when I meet someone who doesn’t own one!  It’s such a handy dandy tool, and of course you can get your crop-a-dile at my online stampin’ up store too!

This week’s UDI 19 Color Challenge Inspiration was a very yummy skewer of colorful veggies and fruit!  Take a look at the photo, grab your cardstock, paper and ink, and come play along with us!

UDI_19

 

Make a special card, project, scrapbook page… whatever your heart desires, and then upload to your online photo gallery (Flickr, photobucket, splitcoaststampers, etc.) or personal blog and then visit the Utah Divas International Blog and upload your creation using the linky tool at the bottom of today’s post!  We love to see your artwork!

Stamps and Supplies used in today’s Bring on the Cake Colorful Balloon Bouquet:

Stamps:  Bring on the Cake

Cardstock:  Garden Green, Peach Parfait, Real Red, Basic Black, Very Vanilla

Classic Ink:  Basic Gray, Real Red

Accessories:  Crop-A-Dile Tool, eyelets, Hemp Twine, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Snips, SNAIL, exacto knife, cutter kit, 5/8” satin Basic Black Ribbon, mini glue dots, spiral punch, stampin’ write markers, Love Letters DSP, Signo White Gel Pen, spiral punch

Technique:  Ribbon Scrunching

I really liked how today’s Color Challenge Card came out… and I hope you do too!  See you tomorrow with another great challenge from the Diva Coffee Break Designs Team!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

2 comments:

lisa808 said...

Sharon, I love this card! Great layout and good decision on the popped hand.

I never used eyelets before I got a CAD. I was always afraid of that springy setting thing.

I have an award for you on my blog.

Glad you made it home safely. At least it's getting a little warmer here.

Lisa

Teressa Thompson said...

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing! wondered about the hand image. That single stamp is worth the price of the whole set! It's incredible!