Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Valentine Defined Cutwork UDI 16 Color Challenge

 

Have you ever had this happen… stamp all your images, emboss a great background, and find that everything doesn’t fit into the area you’d planned?  That’s exactly what happened when I was creating today’s Utah Divas International Color Challenge Card with the Valentine Defined Stamp Set… LOL!

Exacto knife in hand, I found a quick and simple solution… cutting around the tail feathers of the Regal Rose “Pink” Flamingo, allowing them to protrude “outside the box”…. you’ll see what I mean in a moment!

First, here is the Utah Divas International Color Challenge Cue:  Real Red, Soft Suede, Regal Rose and Blushing Bride…

UDI_16 Color Challenge Created By You

A pretty package indeed, but I’m not quite sure if it is an actual gift package or a cake covered with fondant… hmm, what do you think?  Either way, it would be a fabulous way to use up cardstock scraps and decorate plain brown packaging paper that comes with every Stampin’ Order Shipment… OR, a simple d├ęcor for a brown paper bag at Valentines Day!

I’ll have to work on both those ideas Smile  Here’s my UDI color challenge #16 card featuring another sneak peek of the Valentine Defined stamp set from the Occasions Mini Catalog!

UDI16_SharonField on Created by You

See the tail of the pink flamingo to the left?  That’s the image I should have stamped a bit more to the right… Creative Opportunity to the rescue, I like how it turned out… and an afterthought, perhaps I should have cut out the tail of the flamingo on the right and popped it up a bit to continue the dimensional feel… hmm.

Dusted off my DSRB for this one… I thought it needed a fun border below the stamped image border which is part of the Valentine Defined Stamp Set.  (DSRB:  Dotted Scalloped Ribbon Border Punch… too long to type over and over and over, don’t you think?)

I used the framed tulip textured embossing folder for this card, full size… but cut away some of the border to allow more soft suede cardstock to show on the front of my Valentine Defined Color Challenge Card.

If you look closely, you will note there is actually a little square lattice texture on the Real Red Cardstock as well.  I wanted a bit more texture on the void areas of the cardstock so put the Real Red Cardstock through the Big Shot Machine with the Square Lattice Textured Embossing Folder BEFORE running it through with the Framed Tulips Textured Embossing Folder.  The second run through flattened the Square Lattice texture/pattern but left a delightful “textured cardstock” appearance.. pretty cool!

Stamps and Supplies used on today’s Valentine Defined Color Challenge Sneak Peek Card:

Stamps:  Valentine Defined

Cardstock:  Real Red, Soft Suede, Blushing Bride, Very Vanilla

Classic Ink:  Real Red, Soft Suede, Regal Rose, Blushing Bride

Big Shot Machine and Accessories:  Square Lattice and Framed Tulips Textured Embossing Folder

Accessories:  Extra Large Designer Label Punch, Exacto Knife, Sponge Daubers, Stampin Dimensionals, Basic Jewels Rhinestones, Stampin Dimensionals

Have you fully recovered from all the Christmas company, wrapping paper, and events?  Perhaps you received a very thoughtful Stampin’ Up! gift for Christmas?  Come play along with the Utah Divas International Design Team this week… we’d love to see your creations! 

Simply upload your color challenge based card, scrapbook page or project to your blog and/or online gallery (Splitcoaststampers, Stampinconnection.com, Flickr, Photobucket, etc… ) and then visit the Utah Divas International site to upload your color challenge submission using the in-linkz tool at the bottom of today’s UDI post!

Psst… if you didn’t get that special stamp, cardstock, ink, paper etc… check out my online stampin up store and Specials!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

6 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Awesome card!!! I've found that my "mistakes" are when I've had to 'find a way, make a way' and it winds up turning out BETTER than I had originally planned it! Looks like this happened to you too.

Email me said...

LOVE your "textured CS" trick!!! Thanks for sharing the details, I started to wonder by looking at the pic and then read your delightful little tip :-)

nana_cindy42 said...

Yes, it IS an awesome card!! I fell in love with the Valentine Defined stamps the 1st time I saw them. And the cut-out tail is a great touch! And I think it would be complete with the right one cut out, too.

Crystal said...

Great job! And I think the inspiration piece is a cake with fondant. :)

Kathie McGuire said...

Oh my, I LOVE that little flamingo's behind sticking up and over the neighboring layer!! It caught my eye and got me all excited (I love artists who add little details like that to projects--ingenious!!!). Who would have ever thought it was an error?

I am delighted that you shared this adorable little card project and inspired us to take a mistake and turn it into an original masterpiece!!

Vicki Romaine said...

I really like the images you used on this card. It is such a nice clean and classy card.

Thanks for joining the Red and White challenge at the Cheerful Stamp Pad.