Saturday, December 25, 2010

Super Saturday Tutorial: Framed Tulip Embossing and Sneak Peek

Merry Christmas!!  I hope you’re surrounded by family and close friends, and having an absolutely wonderful day!  I just love this time of year, and am actually pleased that the weather is a bit crisp and cool here in Florida this week.  

Last week, I shared a  Occasions Mini Catalog Product Sneak Peek which caused a bit of a stir, both here on  Created By You , and in several online stamping forums… You can view the original Valentine card, which featured the Valentine Defined Stamp Set and Framed Tulip Textured Embossing Folder HERE

Although the Framed Tulip Textured Embossing Folder is an A2 (standard card 4-1/4” x 5-1/2”) size, it can be easily manipulated to change the size, creating a very pretty border and focal image for your cards and projects.  Today’s Super Saturday tutorial will show you how to modify and manipulate this embossing folder using your Big Shot Machine. 

 

Here’s a holiday gift tag I made using the Framed Tulip Textured Embossing Folder, and a Triple Loop Bow (Similar to the Double Loop Bow technique).  It was for a package I wrapped for a fabulous hubby who ordered Stampin’ Up! merchandise for his wife as a special surprise Christmas gift.  LOL.. although the tag may have given her a hint, I’m sure the contents were a lovely surprise when she opened that big box this morning!  "Framed Tulip" "Gift Tag"

Images on this tag are all from the Winter Post Stamp Set… I chose the Baja Breeze, Marina Mist and Brushed Silver Cardstock colors to compliment the gift wrap packaging.  A lot of guys don’t like to wrap packages (my DH included)… so I always provide gift wrapping as a customer service!

Here’s a card made using this simple modified embossing folder technique, along with “Fast and Fabulous”, “Tiny Tags” and “Bliss” stamp sets.  “Bliss” is a Sale-A-Bration stamp set which I’ve been having a LOT of fun with… Botanical Gazette Designer Series Paper is also from the Occasions Mini catalog, is showcased on the lower half of the card.Framed Tulip Embossing Folder

Step by Step Super Saturday Framed Tulip Embossing Folder Tutorial…

Basic Supplies:

  • Big Shot Machine
  • Framed Tulips Textured Embossing Folder
  • Cardstock of your choice

Step by Step:

  • Cut Garden Green Cardstock 2-7/8” x 5-3/8”- see TIPS (below) for additional cardstock sizes and helpful hints.
  • Insert into Framed Tulips Textured Embossing Folder, aligning edges of cardstock square and even with outer ridge of the embossing folder.
  • Insert embossing folder between clear sandwich plates of the big shot machine.  Note”  the long side of the embossing folder will be processed first through the embossing machine. as shown in the photo, below.Photo 1
  • Once you have put the sandwich through the Big Shot Machine, it will look like this… missing embossing along one long edge:Framed Tulip TEF Created By You Photo2
  • Re-insert cardstock into the Framed Tulips Textured Embossing folder, checking to make sure the embossed tulips in the cardstock fall precisely into the tulips of the embossing folder.  Look closely at the photo below, and you will see that they are NOT aligned… Framed Tulip TEF Photo 3 Created By You
  • Here’s a photo of what the embossing folder SHOULD look like SmileFramed Tulip TEF Photo 4 Created By You
  • Make a sandwich again with the clear plates, aligning un-embossed long edge near the top of the plate, as you did in the first photo, and place in the Big Shot Machine…. DO NOT RUN THROUGH UNTIL YOU READ THE NEXT STEP.
  • Rotate the roller mechanism of the Big Shot Machine JUST until you feel the resistance from the additional depth of the embossing folder.
  • Once you feel the resistance, only roll 3/4 of a turn and STOP…
  • Reverse the roller, and BACK OUT the embossing folder.. you are only embossing the very top edge.
  • Your finished piece will look like this:Framed Tulip TEF Photo 5 Created By You

 

TIPS, Hints, and Additional Information:

  • Alternate sizes of cardstock may also be used following the technique shown above.
  • It may be easier to start with a larger cardstock piece and then trim along the framed tulip border when working with alternative sizes.
  • When working with smaller pieces of cardstock, that only reach 2 of four borders when placed in the embossing folder:
    • Align only one border with the existing tulips and embossing (as shown in photo 4).
    • Work with only one edge at a time to emboss the blank edges, rolling 3/4 of a turn once resistance is felt from the Big Shot Machine.
    • Be sure cardstock is aligned perfectly square in the embossing folder, or your embossed frame will not have parallel edges!
    • Once all 4 edges are embossed, you will have one “messy” corner.  Simply place it inside the embossing folder /sandwich and align so that JUST the corner enters the big shot machine first.  When you feel resistance from the Big Shot Machine Roller, turn only 1/2 turn before backing it out.
  • When using alternative sizes of cardstock, back into the frame by cutting away excess.  Use the embossed frame as your cutting guide to re-size.

Hope you enjoyed today’s Super Saturday Framed Tulip Textured Embossing Folder Tutorial!  Tomorrow I’ll share another card made using this technique, and a sneak peek from the Sale-A-Bration Product Brochure.  Hope you’ll stop back to check it out.

I look forward to reading your comments, and seeing your embossed projects!

Have a Merry Christmas, and a wonderful day!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

26 comments:

Joyce Spear said...

Wow, what a great Christmas present! I was SO hoping you'd put together a tutorial for this, and you did!! Big Smile!

At the moment, it looks hard to me -- but maybe with some practice I'll be able to do it like a pro! Thanks for sharing the technique and for all the tips!

Smiles,
Joyce Spear a.k.a. StamperJoyce

Shari Winterstein said...

Thanks Sharon for the great tutorial. I'm definitely going to have to try this. Thanks for blessing my Christmas Day and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

sage said...

Thanks so much, Sharon. I was going to write and ask how you did that!

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

This is brilliant Sharon! I don't have my folder yet so can't play with this right now, but I do have it saved for when I get mine. By then you should have the video for this done....right?! hehehe Hope y'all are having a fabulous Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial and tips....I am very visual so it appears to be difficult....but will give it a try....LOVE your outside the box thinking...Fran Kennedy (fmick24@yahoo.com)

lisa808 said...

Thanks for the tutorial & Merry Christmas!

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Positively Brilliant Sharon! Thanks for the present of the tutorial too. You are my hero for showing another way to use this fab folder. Now I really have to get my hands on it so I can show off this very cool trick! Love and Christmas Blessings from Southern Oregon.

Ann said...

Sharon this is a fabulous tutorial!!! And the pictures are so helpful. I will be giving this a try! Thanks so much!

Nicole Kowalk said...

Great tutorial, Sharon! Can't wait to give it a try!

Smiles, Laurie said...

Thank you for giving us the scoop on how you resized this great folder!

Crystal said...

What a great idea and thank you so much for figuring it out and sharing with us!! :)

PS - Followed you here via SC Blog thread! :)

Crystal said...

What a great idea and thank you so much for figuring it out and sharing with us!! :)

PS - Followed you here via SC Blog thread! :)

Cindy said...

Thank you for the tutorial, this is a great idea. I just love this embossing folder and now I have a new technique for it. Have a great day!

Jeria said...

Just heard about your tutorial from another demo. Wow it is awesome. Can hardly wait to try this.

Jan Hoyt said...

I've been here before and love your work but I particularly LOVE the way you adapted the embossing folder to a smaller piece of cardstock! True genius, that's the only description....wishing you safe travels to Leadership, maybe I'll see you there! Jan Hoyt

Kitty A. said...

Many thanks for the pxs and instructions. Great way to make this EF more versatile!!!

Allison said...

Thank you so much for this great tutorial! I really appreciated all the extra hints and tips that you shared. I just posted a link on my blog. Thanks again!

TrishG said...

I think you just made this embossing folder a whole lot more useable! I like the pattern of it, but I didn't think I would want such a specific size of pattern. I am rethinking getting it now!
Thanks for the great tutorial on it. I found it as a link from someone else's blog.

Michelle VanWiggeren said...

Brilliant idea! And, thank you for the wonderful tutorial! Looking forward to trying this out!!!

Rose said...

What a genius you are, Sharon! Gonna have to try this. So clever!!

SherryBee said...

Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing!
I am HOPING to try this today!
*There are no mistakes*, right? hehehe
SherryBee in AZ

Lynn said...

This is great! I have linked you on my blog!
http://stampndesign.blogspot.com/2011/01/framed-tulip-embossing-folder-varied.html

Robin Merriman said...

Great tutorial Sharon! I just found this today and can't wait to get into the studio to try it! Thanks so much!

Jenn said...

What a FABULOUS idea! Makes this folder even more useful! Thanks so much for sharing your idea!

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Now how did I know in my post on this on Christmas day that I would need a video?? lol I just got my folder yesterday and just tried this. I did fine using your measurements for the first one, but when I try to play with my own measurements, something is going horribly wrong. Any chance for a video on this?? Or you could just come to my house in Texas and show me what I'm doing wrong. hehehe j/k

Nerida said...

thanks Sharon, I am off to try this tutorial out. In Australia the tulip border is coming out in April, thanks for your hints.