With a new product sneak peek too!
Last week, I was really racking my brain for a Super Saturday Tutorial, and then I happened across an interesting digital candle tutorial… Yeah, I could do this digitally, but I thought it would really be stunning as a 3 dimensional paper candle embellishment for a card or scrapbook page. So off to my stamp room I went to create a fun and easy 3-d paper candle, also known as today’s Super Saturday Tutorial!
If you’re new to this site, Super Saturday Tutorials are always free, and published each week here on Created By You. If you have an idea for a Super Saturday Tutorial you would like to address, please feel free to contact me using the tab at the top of the page. Here’s a peek at the card… I will show you a larger photo and close up in the tutorial.
Stampin Up Cardstock, Ink, Paper, and Accessories used for today’s Super Saturday Tutorial:
- Cardstock: Brushed Gold Very Vanilla, Real Red, Vellum, So Saffron, Old Olive
- Designer Series Paper: Jolly Holiday
- Classic Ink: Real Red, River Rock
- Big Shot Machine and Textured Embossing Folders: Vintage Wallpaper and Square
- Extra Large Punches:
- Wide Oval
- Two-Step Bird
- 1-3/8” x 5/8” Oval Large
- Medium Punch: 3/4” x 15/16” Oval (#120908 - Holiday Mini Catalog through 1/4/2011)
- Real Red 1-1/4” Striped Grosgrain Ribbon
- Bright's Glimmer Brads
- Vanilla Ribbon Rosettes (available 1/5/2011 in the Occasions Mini Catalog)
- Bright's Designer Buttons,
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Stampin Dimensionals
- Tombow Multi Adhesive
- Mini Glue Dots
- Linen Thread
- Sponge Daubers
- Cardstock Preparation – Includes Candle and Card Base
- Very Vanilla Cardstock
- 8-1/2” x 5-1/2” scored at 4-1/4”
- 2-1/2” x 4” (Emboss with Vintage Wallpaper Textured Embossing Folder and Big Shot Machine)
- 2” x 7/8” (For candle), and scrap for small oval punch
- Jolly Holiday Designer Series Paper: 3-3/4” x 5”, and scraps for leaves from Two-Step Bird Punch
- Brushed Gold Cardstock: 4” x 5-1/4” and two small scraps to punch Small and Wide Ovals
- Real Red Cardstock: 2-5/8” x 4-1/8”
- Vellum Cardstock: Scraps
- Old Olive Cardstock: Scraps to punch leaves
- So Saffron Cardstock: Scrap to punch wing from Two-Step Bird
- Constructing the 3-D Candle
- Punch scraps of cardstock as shown in photo
- For those who prefer written instructions:
- Brushed Gold Cardstock – One Each: Wide, Large and and Small Oval Punches
- Vellum Cardstock- One Each: Small Oval and Large Oval Punches
- Jolly Holiday Designer Series Paper: 2 branches with the 2-step bird punch
- Very Vanilla Cardstock – One Small Oval Punch
- Insert one end of the 2” x 7/8” Very Vanilla Candle Base into the Large Oval Punch to round.
- Attach very Vanilla Small Oval Punch piece to the flat end of the candle.
- Use sponge dauber and River Rock Classic Ink to sponge edges of Very Vanilla small oval punch and 2” x 7/8” candle base.
- Layer Brushed Gold and Vellum Card Stock Small Oval Circles, so they don’t quite overlap… attach together with Tombo Multi Adhesive, towards to the top/middle of the oval as shown in the photo below. Don’t worry about the dot of glue showing through the Vellum Cardstock… the flame will cover the spot of glue.
- Attach to the top of the candle with Tombow Multi Adhesive
- Attach Old Olive Cardstock and Jolly Holiday DSP with tiny dots of Tombow Multi Adhesive.
- Emboss Wide Oval Brushed Gold Cardstock with Square Lattice Embossing Folder using the Big Shot Machine.
- Shorten the Large Oval Vellum Cardstock by inserting back into the Large Oval punch at one end:
- Note… it is much easier to get the Vellum Cardstock into the end if you slide it into the wider part of the punch first, and then around to the narrow end…
- Layer pieces of candle, using Tombow Multi Adhesive. Note: in this picture, the Wide Oval was not embossed… I changed that before the final card was completed
- Use Real Red Classic Ink and a Sponge Dauber to darken edges of the So Saffron Bird Wing, and then attach to the top of the candle using Tombow Multi Adhesive
- The Vanilla Rosette was not attached yet when this photo was made… I added another set of leaves before attaching the Rosette to the final candle/plate with a Mini Glue Dot.
- Attach Jolly Holiday Designer Series Paper to 4” x 5-1/4” Brushed Gold Cardstock
- Attach the layered pieces to the front of your Very Vanilla Card Base.
- Emboss 2-1/4” x 4” Very Vanilla Cardstock using Big Shot Machine and Vintage Wallpaper Textured Embossing Folder.
- Attach to Real Red Cardstock.
- Attach to front/center of designer series paper.
- Attach Candle to Embossed Very Vanilla Cardstock using Stampin’ Dimensionals
- Make a simple bow of Real Red Striped Grosgrain 1-1/4” ribbon, tying center with linen thread.
- Use pliers to open and straighten the legs of the Glitter Brad.
- Insert Glitter Brad into Real Red Button and flatten around back of button.
- Attach to ribbon with 3 Mini Glue Dots
- Attach Ribbon/bow to card with three mini Glue Dots
Hope you’ve enjoyed today’s Super Saturday Tutorial for a 3-dimensional Candle, and step by step card instructions. I love reading your comments, and look forward to hearing your future tutorial suggestions!