Wednesday, December 8, 2010

DCBD 206–It’s a Color Challenge!

What is it about color challenges that I struggle with?  When I first peered at the Diva Coffee Break Designs team Challenge, all I could see was color blocking.  I actually made TWO cards today, and really wasn’t too happy with either of them… but I’ll let you decide!

DCBD 206

Today’s Color Challenge combo is Elegant Eggplant, River Rock, and Melon Mambo.  I the picture, the River Rock sample appears to be more of a Crumb Cake color.. I could have used that!! 

As stated earlier, when I looked at the cardstock colors together on the table in my stamp room, all I could see was color blocking or juvenile cards.  My first card was an attempt to create a color block effect using my brayer and post it notes… I was going for a grunge or altered canvas look…

dcbd206b_sharonfield

Ahh.. it also included rather heavy use of a white Signo gel pen and elegant eggplant Stampin Write marker.  Looking at it now, I suppose it’s better than when I first made it… what do you think?  A lot of different stamp sets and some freehand stitching.  I used the weathered acrylic block stamping technique for the background of the Inspired by nature flowers, and added tiny rhinestone crystals between the stamped words on the lower right corner.

The flower in the lower left corner is made from bird wings… I used an Aqua-Painter and Melon Mambo Stampin’ Write Marker to add a little color to the Whisper White Cardstock and then darkened the edges with the brush tip of the marker as well.

Here’s the second card I made, more of a clean and simple color block effect and inspired by the words found in the Hope Happens Stamp Set:

DCBD206a_sharonField

More of that faux stitching.. but this time I used my handy dandy mat pack and paper piercing tool.  The wings are from the Extra Large Bird on Branch punch, and the Victoria lace was attached in a crumpled and ruffled fashion with mini glue dots.

It’s a rather hectic week around my house… DD had finals and a masters dissertation due last week… She’s graduating with two Masters’ Degrees this week, and my house is packed full of company coming and going Smile I’m pretty much decorated for Christmas, done with baking, … DS arrives tomorrow for a short visit as well as Cousins, Nieces, Nephews, Aunts and Uncles… It will be crazy busy here next week too!  So.. bear with me as there is no supply list today… and please keep us all in your prayers!

Hugs,

Sharon

 

 

 

 

 

Pin It!

2 comments:

Teressa Thompson said...

OMG! I love them both! Wow on the color combo and double wow on the way you used it!

nana_cindy42 said...

I like the 2nd one best. The first one seems too dark for my taste. I love the stamps in #1, tho, and how you made the flower with the bird wings.