Saturday, November 13, 2010

Super Saturday Tutorial: Weathered and Stone Techniques

Did you miss my regular Super Saturday Feature last weekend?  Due to the Royal Blog Tour, I had to postpone this regular Super Saturday post… after all, being one of the Royal Blog Tour High Queens, I had to make sure my to follow the rules of the court!  Today, the regular weekly feature is back… and to make it up to you, today I’m sharing not one but two NEW techniques… you’re not going to find them elsewhere on the web, because I came up with them in my stampin’ studio just a few weeks ago!  So… sit back and enjoy these really WOW techniques for making a faux stone look, and weathered background using simple supplies you probably already have on hand!!

Back in June 2010, I shared my Acrylic Block Stamping Technique?  It really took off like hot cakes… and soon it was everywhere on the web… Mary Jo Price Williams (Techno Stamper) and Stampin’ Addicts even did a challenge based on my quick and easy technique! A few people emailed that they had a little difficulty getting good, clear images, and I gave one extra little tip which seemed to help a lot:  I always stamp on Stampin’ Up! Grid paper placed over the top of a sheet of fun foam!  The fun foam prohibits transference of the table cloth patterns to my stamped image, and it also allows me to achieve a better stamped image!  I use Fun Foam in all my clubs, and used it again for today’s techniques as well!

A few days ago, I posted a fun card for one of my design team challenges… and it was a sneak peak of one of the technique shares for this weekend… see the stone like grid in the background?  Changing up the colors a bit will yield a wonderful array of results…

CS06_FauxStone - Copy

This is simply a variation of the Acrylic Block Stamping Technique again… only this time, I’ve inked my acrylic block with More Mustard Classic Ink,and then scribbled on it with the brush end of a Cajun Craze Stampin’ Write Marker before applying the block direct to paper.  Here is what it looked like after I’d inked and marker-ed the block:

stone_tech3

 

When you flip the block onto cardstock, firm and even pressure will ensure a well stamped image… a few voids are to be expected and contribute to the old stone, weathered appearance.

stone_tech5 

I tried this with a variety of color combinations, here’s one inked with Bashful Blue Classic ink and scribbled with Marina Mist and Tempting Turquoise Markers… I’ll probably add a spritz of shimmer mist to this before adding it to a card!

PB110403

I promised you a second technique… and this was a real WOW moment when I shared it with my Where Women Create Artists’ Group a few weeks ago… Born from the technique I shared above, I realized that my acrylic block still had plenty of ink on it.  While experimenting, I had cleaned my blocks on grid paper… Staring at the grid paper, I realized that there was a better way to use up all that ink!  So, here is my acrylic block AFTER I created the stone work image… it still has plenty of ink on it:

weathered1

The scribbled lines are somewhat faded, but the block is definitely still full of ink… so… turning the block over (inky side down) and starting slightly off a clean sheet of cardstock, I simply and quickly cleaned the block on the cardstock!

weathered2

Rubbing the inked block onto the cardstock, and rotating 90 degrees as I worked… always starting off the cardstock, which darkened the edges a bit more…weathered3

When I got to a corner, I cleaned the block across the corner as well… keep in mind, this was all done without a lot of effort or thought, just working quickly to clean the acrylic block and get as much ink onto the cardstock as possible at the same time!


 

weathered4

It was actually a lot of fun to do… and like I said, a real WOW for the gals in the artists’ group!

weathered5

 

This past week, DH and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary… and so did Susanne and Larry (Happy Anniversary!)  I used a different color combination… crumb cake cardstock, crumb cake classic ink, and a basic gray stampin write marker to get the weathered background acrylic block stamping technique…favoritecombo

And here is the anniversary card I made for my DH:

annivcardweathered

I used cork sheeting for one of the background layers… it’s very light weight and easy to cut using my Tabletop Paper Cutter!  I rounded the corners ever so slightly on cardstock layers and cork using a sanding block… just for a fun effect.  The cork adhered permanently to cardstock layers using Tombow multi adhesive… worked like a dream!

Well that’s it for today, hope DH likes his card!  And.. hope you enjoy these two fun techniques… see, Acrylic Blocks can be used for so much more than just stamping!

Until tomorrow,

Stampin’ Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

6 comments:

Candi said...

Wow! so clever I have to send this on to my SU Demo who is wonderful and I know she will love this! thanks for sharing

Susan Carlson said...

So inspirational!!! Thanks for doing this tutorial.

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Awesome Sharon, as always! Love the look of cleaning your block like this. I am glad more dtp techs are coming back.

lisa808 said...

Your mind must never rest! Thanks for the fun ideas. Great card--love the cork!

Nancy said...

I'm brand new to this MDS link and found your blog. Love your creative idea about an "old weathered" stamp look.
Thanks for sharing.

Annette said...

Great techniques Sharon. Thanks for sharing them.