Friday, November 26, 2010

Sketch Frenzy Friday Black Friday Card

Did you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday?  LOL when I made the card for this week’s sketch challenge, I didn’t even think about it being posted on Black Friday… must have been a subliminal thing… you’ll see!  Here is this week’s Sketch Frenzy Friday Design Team Sketch challenge created by design team member Tammy Baldwin!

Sketch 112610-TammyBaldwin

LOVED this sketch!!  Love the layers, and the design… a little unusual yet not challenging at all.. hope you’ll play along!

I already gave you a hint of what my card would be… and you’ve probably already guessed what I meant by Black Friday Smile But, the actual inspiration for my card came from the en-pointe focal image in Tammy’s sketch.  I knew immediately that I wanted to use one of the images from the Cute by the Inch Hostess Level One Stamp Set in the Stampin Up! Idea Book and Catalog!  I also knew that I wanted to use the of the pretty patterned papers from the Love Letters designer series paper, and that I did not want to create another Christmas card!  Not that there’s anything wrong with another Christmas card… but I just wanted to step out of the Christmas thing for a moment!  Here’s my card:

sffll1610slf

After turning Tammy’s sketch on end I stamped 6 of the medallion images from the cute by the inch stamp set, and punched them out using a 1” square punch… unfortunately, SU doesn’t have a one inch punch in the catty… but I have one in my stash!  The centers of each of the medallions were pierced using a paper piercing tool and mat pack… I added basic black brads to 5 of the squares, and an antique brad to the last square, which would ultimately become my focal image.

This card kind of evolved on my stamp table.. I had my medallions, and brads… and decided to back 5 of them with dsp, and then popped it up onto a strip of basic black cardstock.  I started to put the sixth one on dsp (designer series paper) but it just didn’t look right… so added a 1-1/8”square of basic black cardstock behind the last medallion image before popping it up on a 1-1/2" piece of designer series paper.  Two more layers of cardstock were added to complete the focal image.

After gluing down the 5 medallions/designer series paper strip, I positioned and attached the en pointe medallion using stampin’ dimensionals… only under the center and right side, so the left side of the medallion would sit flush on the already popped up side bar medallions.

So… still needing a little something, it was at this point that I decided to add the paper piercing… a little tricky when you do it at this stage in the game, but it worked… adding a little extra something to the focal image!

I happened to have a left over ribbon/lace knot sitting on my stampin’ table… so that was added with a couple mini glue dots.

The sketch showed a greeting in the lower right edge of the card… oops, so I grabbed the teeny tiny wishes and tiny tag punch to create a greeting, added a basic black brad, a rhinestone, and popped the greeting onto the card as well!

See what I mean… evolved!  Sometimes, it just happens that way… if I’m lucky!

Hope you enjoyed today’s card share… next blog on the Sketch Frenzy Friday Mini Blog hop is our very own sketch designer Tammy Baldwin – Creative Apple Scrampers!  Hope you’ll stop by and say a quick hello!

Stamps and Supplies used in today’s SFF112610 Card Share:

  • Stamps:  Teeny Tiny Wishes, Cute by the Inch
  • Cardstock:  Very Vanilla, Basic Black
  • Designer Series Paper:  Love Letters
  • Classic Ink:  Basic Black
  • Accessories:  Antique Brads, Neutrals Brads, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Jewelry Tag Punch, mat pack, paper piercing tool, Chantilly lace, 5/8” satin ribbon – Basic Black

Have fun shopping!  Don’t forget you can purchase these and more fabulous color matching and time tested stampin up products in my online stampin’ up! store … and you can do it right from your cozy chair at home (no traffic or crowds to fight!)  To view the Stampin’ Up Holiday Mini and Idea book & Catalogs, simply click the Catalog Tab at the top of this page!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

14 comments:

lisa808 said...

Lovely card and great take on the sketch.

Jan Hoyt said...

Very dramatic! Love the way the B&vanilla pops the images and you added some very nice touches along the way. Thanks for sharing a "Black Friday" masterpiece! Jan Hoyt

Ms said...

Gorgeous... something about the black & white cards is so striking. Thank you for sharing your creativity....

Sunflower Stamper said...

Wow!! Love it!! Lots of great detail!!

Deb said...

This is really beautiful and elegant! And I love how you turned the sketch! Very clever!

Creative Apple Scrampers said...

I love this card! Amazing Job!

"LZ" Linda Z. said...

Terrific card! I love black & vanilla... very classy!

TrishG said...

Fantastic job with that tough looking sketch. I love it in black and white. Great elements on here!

Tammy Fite said...

I love this card!! Gorgeous!!

Kim said...

Very elegant card! One of my sisters is very into black and white and she would love this card.

Sandi said...

Love how this turned out Sharon -- you did this sketch beautifully.
Sandi Dailey
gdailey@concentric.net
http://anotherchancetostamp.blogspot.com/

Kellie Paxton said...

You did a fantastic job with this sketch! Gorgeous card! TFS

jmniffer said...

Love to see cards made with this set. Thanks for another idea to add to my collection.
jmniffer at comcast dot net

jcasto4 said...

Luv the colors - very elegant!