Thursday, November 18, 2010

Creative Sketches Snowboard New Year CS07T

This week’s Creative Sketches challenge CS07T incorporates both a technique and a card into the challenge, isn’t that fun?  The technique is Polished Stone.  Polished Stone, of course can be made in many, many colors to produce varying effects.  Check out the Polished Stone Technique on SplitCoast Stampers and then join us at the Creative-Sketches Design team to play along or to view all the lovely samples prepared by the Creative Sketches Design Team this week!

Here is the sketch we used for this week’s Polished Stone Technique CS07T Challenge:

CS07T_PolishedStone

Another very simple design… I had to do something to make it really stand out.  First I made some Polished Stone samples using glossy cardstock and re-inkers.  When I had one I was happy with, I decided to incorporate it into my card…

CS07_SharonField_polishedStone

I played around with the polished stone technique, but added my own little twist to it… LOL…just can’t leave things alone!!  I used not quite navy, tempting turquoise, bashful blue and Baja breeze re-inkers, gold shimmer paint, glossy white cardstock and rubbing alcohol to make my polished stone background… but wasn’t quite happy with the splotchy results.. not that there was anything wrong with it, so I sprayed the whole thing with Champagne Mist Shimmer Mist.

But I wanted something that looked like snow.. of course, it looked more like polished stone Smile  So… using a sponge dauber and white shimmer paint, I swirled White Shimmer Paint atop the polished stone.  After heat setting, it took on more of the appearance I was seeking.

The Extreme Snowboard stamp image was inked with a very wet Stazon Ink Pad, and stamped on top of the polished stone/shimmer paint cardstock.  Of course, as things would happen, the image didn’t quite cover as well as I had hoped (why does that always happen???)  After letting it dry completely, the voids in the stamped image were completed with a Stampin’ Write Journaling Pen.  Once, Dry, Snowflakes from Serene Snowflakes stamp set were stamped all over, and then covered with clear embossing powder.  Much to my surprise, the powder also stuck to the Stamped and inked Snowboarder… so, I heat set the whole thing with a heat tool!  Here’s a close-up of the snowboarder…CS07T_CloseUp

The Northern Flurry Embossing Folder was used in my Big Shot Machine to emboss the Bashful Blue Cardstock Background… and then White Craft Ink and a sponge dauber used to add white puffs of snow, and highlight the snowflakes.  I kind of thought he would look cool holding up a flag of some sort… so added a banner with the words Happy New Year borrowed from the Teeny Tiny Wishes Stamp Set.. should have had the stick on his hand instead of behind it… but that’s my own hindsight… maybe I’ll change it tomorrow.. probably not!

Play along with the Creative Sketches Design Team Blog,  or check out the team blog to see all the designer samples… and I’ll be back tomorrow with another challenge from the Sketch Frenzy Friday Design Team!

Have a lovely weekend, and thank you for your comments!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

6 comments:

Adriana Benitez said...

Very cool card! Your creative genius took off just like the "dude" in the image :)

Kath said...

Might just be the best I've seen with this set!
http://kath-allthatscrap.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I don't often comment but had to this time for sure. This card is awesome!! I am going to make one for my grandson for Christmas. Thank you for sharing
Patricia Gessner

lisa808 said...

Sharon, this is truly an awesome card!

nana_cindy42 said...

I like this polished stone card. Very nice.

jmniffer said...

I've been trying to resist these stamps...seeing a card like this weakens my resolve. Great card.
jmniffer at comcast dot net