Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sweet and Simple Snowman Card UDI 10 Color Challenge

This week’s UDI 10 Color Challenge again features pottery items… but with a more serene and relaxing theme.  The Utah Divas International Color Challenge this week features cardstock and/or ink colors of Baja Breeze, Not Quite Navy, Soft Suede, and Very Vanilla… I don’t know about you, but given that palette, I didn’t need an extra neutral LOL!

UDI_color_challenge_010

 

My go to colors of choice are generally greens, although I have truly fallen in love with Cherry Cobbler… so I guess I don’t do a whole lot of Blue cards… But when I pulled out the cardstock from my file drawer and laid them on my stamp room table, they screamed winter and snowman.  Given more time, I probably would have used my brayer for a snow scene with a tree and/or forest… but time constraints as they were, one card for this challenge was all I could tweak out! 

One of the cardstock pieced I just happened to pull from the scrap file happened to be the top note die cut… so I decided to emboss it using the Big Shot Machine and Northern Flurry Textured Embossing Folder.  Adding a little Vanilla Craft Ink with a sponge dauber made the snowflakes really pop!  You really have to use a light touch with the sponge dauber or you’ll get a lot of ink in places you may not want it… simply running the sponge dauber lightly along the top raised portions of the embossing yields a very pretty result.  If you peer closely just to the left of the snowman’s scarf, you’ll see that I kind of went off the snowflake a bit too… adds a little character and rustic feel to card in general… don’t you think?  To capitalize on the rusticity, I also used the sponge dauber and Vanilla Craft Ink along the outer edges of the Top Note Die Cut.  Craft Ink is pigment ink, and takes a moment to dry.  If you’re in a hurry, you can heat set it with an embossing gun or heat tool.

I get a LOT of questions about this simple little double loop bow, and have taught my club members, stampin friends, and even strangers how to tie this simple double loop bow too.  Ilina Crouse has a fabulous tutorial on her blog in which she utilizes her hubby’s fingers to tie the bow… but my friends and I just tie it using the fingers on our non-dominant hand.  I’ve heard several people just put two nails in a board to create their own spare set of fingers too… LOL.  I prefer to use my fingers, they’re right here with me all the time Smile

UDI10_SLF

 

Stamps, Supplies, and Techniques Used for today’s UDI10 Color Challenge Card:

  • Stamps:  Jolly Old St. Nick
  • Cardstock:  Baja Breeze, Not Quite Navy, Very Vanilla, Soft Suede
  • Classic Inks:  Basic Black
  • Craft Ink:  Very Vanilla
  • Big Shot Machine and Accessories:  Lattice and Northern Flurry Textured Embossing Folders
  • Other Accessories:  5/8” Very Vanilla Satin Ribbon, sponge daubers, metallic brads, mat pack, paper piercing tool, stampin’ write markers, stampin’ dimensionals

Tutorial Technique Tip:  You can see Ilina’s fabulous video tutorial HERE.

Order supplies for today’s card at my Online Stampin’ Up! Store… and thank you for visiting today!

Hugs,

Sharon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pin It!

5 comments:

nana_cindy42 said...

I absolutely LOVE this card and the colors! And the ink on the raised snowflakes really is striking! The snowman is so cute and jolly. It's just a precious card all over!!!

Shari Winterstein said...

This is a wonderful card. I am a pushover for snowmen! Thanks for blessing my day. :)

Maxine Conrad said...

Love what you came up with Sharon :) Perfect bow!!! :) x

lisa808 said...

Sharon, I love this card! The snowman looks so cute. The embossed snowflake Top Note and lattice background look so good together.

jmniffer said...

Love any and all snowmen cards! The ink on the embossed image is a nice touch.
jmniffer at comcast dot net