Saturday, October 2, 2010

Super Saturday Tutorial: Shimmer Your Ink Pads… a Glitterful Fall Card!

A couple weekends ago, I attended a Central Florida Stampcation Event, where I not only had the opportunity to demonstrate Glass Glitter and Waffle Paper Techniques, but also learned a few new things from my Demo peers!  Today’s Super Saturday Tutorial features a technique developed and perfected by Central Florida Demonstrator Kim Moorhouse.  Unfortunately, Kim doesn’t have a blog :(  But she did tell give me permission to share both her technique and super swap card with you!  It was nice to finally meet Kim face to face… I’ve swapped with her via mail before… her pretty, themed recipe swap page can be seen on my blog HERE.  So thanks, Kim for letting me share this fabulous fun technique with all of you!

Here is the card I made with today’s Shimmer Your Ink Pads Technique  and the French Foliage Stamp Set from the Holiday Mini Catalog.  (I’ll share Kim’s fabulous card at the end of this post as well)…  The camera doesn’t do it justice!  This stunning card sparkles brilliantly… believe me, you’ll want to try this yourself!

Sun1003Sfield

Here are the supplies you will need for today’s Shimmery Your Ink Pads Technique (oops.. forgot to include the reinker in the photograph!!!)

SuppliesForTodaysTutorial

Stamping Supplies for today’s Super Saturday Tutorial:

  • Champagne Shimmer Paint
  • Blank Craft Ink Pad
  • Sponge Daubers
  • Classic Re-Inker Color of Your Choice (Daffodil Delight, Cajun Craze, River Rock and Pear Pizzaz used in samples)
  • Whisper White Taffeta Ribbon
  • Stamp Set of your Choice (French Foliage from the Holiday Mini Catalog page 6 used in today’s samples)
  • Very Vanilla Cardstock

Are you ready?

Start by inking the blank craft pad using a back and forth sweeping motion.  A little ink goes a long way.  In the photo below, I’ve already inked a portion of the pad with More Mustard Classic Ink… it is an economical way to get double duty from one pad :)

AddReinkerWithASweepingMoton

Next, shake your bottle of champagne shimmer paint, remove the lid and pour a little onto the surface you just inked.  The bottle of Champagne Shimmer Paint in the photo (below) was almost empty, so it came out of the bottle in dots… Yours will probably be a more fluid line.  A little goes a long way!

AddShimmerPaint2CraftPad

After replacing the lid on your Champagne Shimmer Paint (no accidents here!), work the shimmer paint into the inked pad with a sponge dauber.  You can almost see a bit of the sparkles in the photo below…

BlendinInk&ShimmerPaint

Once you have worked the champagne shimmer paint into the ink, your pad will look something like this…

Fully_Inked_and MixedPad

At this point, Kim simply inked her stamps in the pad… she told me that you must ink the stamp very lightly as it tends to sink into the craft pad. 

I did it a different way… for a couple reasons…. I know some of my customers and stampin’ buds will press very hard on the craft pad, even though I tell them not to:)  ALSO… I wanted to get double duty from my stamp pad, and have it hold two colors at once! 

Remember the sponge dauber you just used to work the shimmer paint into the pad?  It’s ALL full of ink… instead of wasting it, use that same sponge dauber to ink the surface of your stamp!  

Sponged_Stamped

And now, simply stamp the image onto your cardstock… and wait a moment for it to dry.  The ink will dry fairly quickly, no need to use a heat tool!  It’s very hard to capture the glitter and shimmer on film..

sponged_image

Of course, you can also stamp with the Shimmered Ink onto Designer Series Paper…. Here I’ve used one of the More Mustard Page Patterns from the Autumn Spice Designer Series Paper Pack (Holiday Mini Catalog page 13).

DSP_stamped_Image

Remember the sample at the beginning of this post?  The poppy parade ribbon was also inked using a sponge dauber and  a mixture of Poppy Parade Re-inker and Champagne Shimmer Paint !

NowOnToRibbon

Use long, sweeping motions when inking your taffeta ribbon with a sponge dauber… and then let it dry for a few moments (a little longer than the cardstock, but again no heat tool needed.) 

Now, you have Poppy Parade Sparkling Taffeta Ribbon!

SpongedRibbon

Isn’t this fun?  I told you I would also share Kim Moorehouse’s fabulous card… and here it is… I wish you could see the sparkle!KimMoorhouseCard

Did you enjoy today’s Super Saturday Tutorial?  I want to thank Kim again, for allowing me to share both her technique and fabulous swap card with you!

Tomorrow, I’ll be sharing two more fun fall cards, hope you’ll stop by and say Hi!

Hugs,

Sharon

Edited 10/2/10 to detail that I am using a Classic Reinker with the Blank Craft Ink pad.  Sorry for the confusion!!

Pin It!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Another wonderful tutorial Sharon! Thanks so much for sharing your talent, tips and tutorials!

Sandi said...

Sharon, this is beautiful! It was so very kind of you to add the tutorial -- never would have thought to do something like this. I can't even begin to imagine what this must look like in person if it looks this beautiful from a picture, as I know pictures never, ever do justice. I am going to try this technique this morning -- thanks again!!
Hugs,
Sandi
gdailey@concentric.net

Adriana Benitez said...

Thank you to you and Kim - this is a wonderful technique and I can't wait to try it!

nana_cindy42 said...

Love this! Great technique!

Carmen said...

Love the idea and I am so glad you were able to share it!! Your card is beautiful!

Deb said...

What a fabulous technique!! Thanks for sharing. Are the reinkers used craft ink or regular ink? I assumed they were regular ink, but wasn't sure - since the uninked pad was a craft pad.

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

Hi Folks, it is a regular classic reinker... should have specified that. I used a craft pad because they are available un-inked! Turns out it made an excellent base for sponging too!

barbara said...

Great technique, thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

oh, so thankful for this post; what an excellent idea! Thank you Sharon...hugs, Sue

Tinkerin In Ink said...

Thanks for this tip! Here I have been mixing the Shimmer Paint with the Classic Reinker on a paint palette and applying to the stamp with a dauber. This is much quicker. And you have to try this with Champagne Mist and Soft Suede...gorgeous!

Yapha said...

Wow! What a great technique! Do the colors get muddy after sharing the same ink pad?

Teressa Thompson said...

AWESOME! Love that you can create your own color combo of shimmering ink. Amazing!

you totally ROCK Sharon!

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

Wow awesome! Love your cards too very pretty! TFS

lisa808 said...

Happy WCMD!

Thanks for another fab tutorial. Love the look of it.

p.s. It was nice seeing as a featured Queen!

Sara Mattson-Blume said...

How Fun! Thanks for sharing!

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

Hi Yapha,
Amazingly enough, for some reason the inks don't seem to spread together on the craft ink pad... they just stay put. I suppose if you put too much ink on the pad they would merge. But a week later, mine are still right where I put them with space between the colors.

Tanya: I will try soft suede with Champagne Shimmer Paint.. sounds delightful! Thanks for the tip!

Patti said...

What a great new technique to try. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ret said...

Sharon, I'm back! Loving your blog as always, ofcourse! What a fantastic tutorial, thanks so much for sharing!

Hope all is great with you.
hugs,
Ret

nancy littrell said...

Wow.what a cool and sparkly technique. I have never tried the blank craft pads. TFS
P.S. Your card is gorgeous..