Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Revisiting Inspired by Nature – Brayer Card for DCBD 200

This week’s Diva Coffee Break Designs Team Challenge is a bold and bright color combination!  I wasn’t really sure what I was going to do with these colors… but after visiting my friend Michelle Zindorf for one of her fabulous Advanced Brayer Classes in Savannah, Georgia, I decided to brush off my brayer and attempt a Brayer Card for this challenge!  Hope you’ll play along with the Design Team this week… I can’t wait to see the team designs and yours as well! 

DCBD 200

Wow.. Poppy Parade, So Saffron and Baja Breeze!  The color combination made me think of the setting sun and palm trees… I’ve really only got one small palm tree in my Plant Hope stamp set… so I began looking through my stamps for an alternate image and spied Inspired by Nature… I thought, well, if you didn’t ink the pom pom in the middle of the sunflower, it might make a pretty good palm tree silhouette!  So here’s my card for this week’s DCBD 200 Card Challenge.. hope you like it!

DCBD200_SLF

In a nutshell:  I used a brayer and So Saffron Classic Ink to add color along one long edge of the very vanilla cardstock, and then added a 1 3/8” post it note punch to protect the color before adding two layers of Poppy Parade Classic Ink along the same edge.  Turning the cardstock 90 degrees, I then added two brayers full of Baja Breeze Classic Ink along the second long edge, removed the post it note and added a little more So Saffron Classic Ink with a sponge…

A sponge dauber and classic basic black ink were used to carefully ink only petals and stems of the tall sunflower or cone flower silhouette image from Inspired by Nature… I had a couple areas that just didn’t ink as well as I had hoped, and used a basic black Stampin’ Write Marker to append the stamped image.  I added two neutrals this week to my challenge :)  very vanilla and basic black… so technically I blew it :(  I just couldn’t achieve the desired results on a So Saffron base. 

I started to add a little faux stitching to the upper left corner of this card… but then decided it needed something a little weightier… so added photo corner punched layers of Baja Breeze and Basic Black Cardstock with brads.

Supplies used for today’s DCBD 200 Color Challenge:

Stamps:  Inspired by Nature, Short and Sweet

Cardstock:  Baja Breeze, Poppy Parade, So Saffron, Very Vanilla

Classic Inks:   Baja Breeze, Poppy Parade, So Saffron, Basic Black

Accessories:   Photo Corner Punch, Silver Brads, Mat Pack, Paper Piercing tool, Basic Black Stampin’ Write Marker, stampin’ Sponge, sponge daubers, and a Brayer of course!!

Order the supplies for today’s card at >>my Online Stampin Up Store <<

Play along with the DCBD design team members… create a color challenge based card, and upload to the Diva Coffee Break Designs Team Blog where you  can see all the team member creations as well!

Have a great week!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

9 comments:

hisally said...

I LOVE that you used the Inspired by Nature for palm trees. And it worked!!! Very creative. and a very pretty card.

lisa808 said...

Sharon, Wow!!! Fabulous brayering and gorgeous card!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it Sharon! You make brayering look so easy.
~ Michelle, Tennessee

stampinsue said...

Love this, Sharon! TFS

craftystamper said...

Love the way you used the colours, and the coneflower without the cone looks just like a palm tree. Way to use you imagination!

Alison said...

This is one of my favourite stamp sets. How pretty it looks in the sunset.

HappyCrafter said...

Wow, this is fabulous! I love how you stamped those flowers without the centre, it makes them look totally different....I have this stamp set and will be trying this out myself! Your background is stunning.

nana_cindy42 said...

I love it!! It's beautiful! The next time you have a brayering class could you please let me know? Love the blending of colors! Also, the photo corner does add a lot to the design.

Patrice said...

Your last two posts were both amazing. I really enjoy your blog and learn so much from you. I should say it more often! Thanks!