Thursday, October 14, 2010

Heavy Metal and Creative Sketches CS03T Technique Challenge

I’ve seen a LOT of metallic cards around these days, have you?  Sometimes I use Stainless Steel Contact Paper on my cards to give it that shiny metallic look… but today I’ve chosen a bit of a different material… Aluminum Flashing!  Talk about Heavy Metal!  Aluminum Flashing can be embossed, scored, cut, and punched… so why not?

Today’s Creative Sketches Challenge CS03T is a Sketch + Technique Challenge… now that is a rockin’ twist isn’t it?  Here’s the CS03T sketch:

CS03T

LOL.. kind of reminded me of a storm door!  The dotted lines are representative of dry embossed scored lines in the cardstock.  I cut the flashing to a manageable size using my Craft and Rubber scissors, and then cut it to 4” x 5 1/4” using my Table Top Paper Cutter… cut like butter! 

It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly the best way to score my heavy metal Aluminum Flashing material… turns out the very best method was to use my Paper Trimmer and a scoring blade…  those score boards on the market couldn’t handle the aluminum flashing material… who would have thunk?

Here’s my Heavy Metal Aluminum Flashing Card for the CS03T Sketch and Technique Challenge…

CS03T_slf_101410

The photo doesn’t really show it, but those three black dots at the top/right on the card are actually fun Glimmer Basic Brads in Basic Black!  I pierced the holes with my mat pack and paper piercing tool… pushed the tool all the way through the layers, and then wiggled it around a little to enlarge the hole… the brads then easily slipped through and were perfectly positioned too!

The Aluminum flashing tends to curl after you have scored it, so I flattened it out a bit by placing it between two Cutting Pads and with a cardstock shim, ran it through my Big Shot Machine using Tab 1 (the one with no number). 

The Ornate Blossom image was stamped with Stazon Ink and allowed to dry for a few moments before handling the flashing any further… I should have stamped the image first and then scored (oops)… but didn’t so I used a small, stiff, angled paint brush to add stazon ink to the Ornate Blossom image along the scored lines.  Both paint brush and stamp were then cleaned with Stazon Cleaner.  The paint brush no longer has pretty white bristles… but it is clean enough to use on other projects!

Sticky Red Tape was then used along the back side of the Aluminum Flashing to attach it to the Basic Black Card Base.

One last step:  stamped teeny tiny wishes “Happy Anniversary” onto a small scrap of the aluminum flashing, and punched out with the Modern Label Punch… I bet that punching aluminum flashing is a good way to sharpen your punches… why not?  I use aluminum cans to sharpen them all the time!

A small scrap of Basic Black Cardstock was then die-cut using the Big Shot Machine, Movers & Shapers, and Punch windows dies.  And, again, the stamped/punched flashing was attached with sticky red tape!

As a final step, basic Rhinestone Jewels were added to the sentiment which was popped up with Stampin’ Dimensionals (a crafters’ and Paper Crafters FAVORITE product).

My DH and I will celebrate our wedding anniversary next month… I think this will be the perfect card for him, what do you think?

Come play along with the Creative Sketches Design Team this week… push the envelope, do something different!  Create your sketch based card and upload to an online gallery, blog, or Splitcoast Stampers and then visit the Creative Sketches Design Team Blog to upload your creation!  I’m looking forward to seeing your work, ideas, and inspiration!

Hugs,

Sharon

Pin It!

3 comments:

Teressa Thompson said...

Beautiful project! You always go above and beyond with your projects and your tutorials are amazing! For this and so many other reasons, I'm giving you the Cherry on Top Blog Award. You can pick it up on my blog on today's post!

Congrats - it's well earned!

Carla said...

Love the anniversary card!!! Very unique. Will have to use the sketch!!

luvthatstampin said...

What a great idea. I keep reading about using flashing, or other types of metal, but I don't seem to make a shopping list so I can apply myself. One of these days...