Thursday, October 7, 2010

Creative Sketches… a New Design Team Challenge with A Twist!

Wow.. have you heard?  There’s a new Design Team in Town!!  Creative Sketches is a Design Team with a Twist…

  • Weekly Challenges… YES!
  • Sketch Challenges… YES!
  • Color Challenges… YES!
  • Techniques Challenges… YES!
  • Fabulous Artwork… YES!!

And, if that’s not enough, there’s even more coming your way in the world of Design Team Challenges… It’s a new game, and a new team… and a whole new way to look at your Stamps, Cardstock and Ink!  I hope you’ll enjoy the challenges, so grab your favorite stamps and ink… and come play along with us weekly!  To kick off Week 1 we have a sketch challenge!

CS#1

It’s just the first week, and I’ve already stepped outside the box a bit… here’s my very colorful sketch challenge card:

CS1_SharonField

The background paper was created using a variation of my .. changed up the colors a bit, and let the ink colors on the first layer bleed into one another.  As you may notice the softer tones are in the horizontal first layer of the plaid, while stronger and bolder ink colors are in the second or vertical layer of the post it note plaid paper.  After adding the large die cut layered cardstock blossom to the lower right edge of the focal point, I felt the sketch needed a bit more to balance it, and added a second die cut cardstock bloom in the upper right corner.  Scored and sponged leaves adorn each bloom. 

Pretty bright, isn’t it?  And a little ‘out of character’ for me!  My DD, who usually is quite conservative in her card selections and taste said “Wow” and then “I LIKE it!” Which surprised both of us!  The card was so bright, that I felt a sun needed to radiate from the center of the Very Vanilla cardstock  focal square… and simply used my sponge dauber and Daffodil Delight Classic Ink to swirl in a circle until the ‘sun’ was large enough to balance with the greeting and the rest of the card!

So… Did I shock you today with my bright and colorful card?  Hope not too much… You can check out the rest of the Design Team submissions at the master >> << I hope you’ll take time to create a sketch of your own choices in cardstock, ink and stamps.. and upload them to an online gallery or splitcoaststampers and play along with the team!  Please use the Code CS-1 in your keywords so we’ll be sure to find your cards, and then upload them to the Creative Sketches Challenge Blog using the inlinkz tool a the bottom of today’s post!  (Psst… just say YES!!)

Stamps, Cardstock, Ink and other Supplies used in today’s CS-1 Challenge Card:

Stamps:  Occasional Quotes

Cardstock:   Very Vanilla, Melon Mambo, Riding Hood Red, Regal Rose, So Saffron, Always Artichoke, Pacific Point

Designer Series Paper:  Autumn Days

Classic Inks:  Early Espresso, Pacific Point, Daffodil Delight, More Mustard, Pear Pizzazz, Riding Hood Red

Big Shot Machine, Accessories,and Dies:  Little Leaves Sizzlit, Blossom Party, Timeless Trim 

Other Accessories:  Basic Jewel Pearls, Two Step Extra Large Bird Punch, Mini Glue Dots, Embossing Stylus, Ticket Corner Punch

Technique:  Post It Note Plaid

I look forward to seeing your rendition of this sketch… Now.. I’m off to check out the other design team member submissions… gosh, I haven’t seen any of them yet!!

Hugs,

Sharon

 

Pin It!

7 comments:

Teressa Thompson said...

Yes! Definitely a shock but a good one! Love it Sharon! I totally love it. LOL You are going to have to teach a class in that background technique --- or make a video --- or a challenge around it!

Adriana Benitez said...

Fun colors and flowers - a very happy card :)

Juliet said...

i love the colors and the technique!! new follower from SC

Juliet
http://julietscrazyblog.blogspot.com/

manicstamper said...

OMG Sharon.......I didn't realise until I read your post that you made the paper. It is fabulous!!!
Gorgeously cheerful card.
Sheila-x-

lisa808 said...

Wow--what a great card! Love the bright colors.

inkedx2 said...

I Love This! I love plaid so I will be checking out you tutorial as well as the new blog.

Robbie

Gary & Michelle said...

Would you please direct me to your post-it note plaid tutorial? Link, please. :-)
Love the card.