Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Christmas Classic: Jolly Old St. Nick Creative Sketches CS04 Card

Have you checked out the New Creative Sketches Design Team yet?  Team members are from all around the world, and have vastly varying styles!  Creative Sketches is a new concept in design teams too… with color, sketch, technique, and inspiration challenges, what’s not to love?  Here is today’s challenge sketch… and it has a twist.. it has a THEME too!  Make a card using today’s CS04 Sketch, with A HOLIDAY theme… whatever holiday you choose.  It could be Christmas, Hanukkah, even Valentines Day or Easter if you choose!

CS04-sketch

Well, I may as well admit… I chose Christmas as my holiday theme… but you probably already guessed that from the title of my post:  Jolly Old St. Nick.. LOL!  So here’s my card… complete with layers, button embellishment and a little extra texture too!

CS04_SLF

I just love this Santa image… he is everything a Santa should be… chubby, happy, winking… just makes you smile to look at him, doesn’t it?  I couldn’t help but layer the Deck the Halls Jumbo Button with a luscious antique brad (don’t you just love them?)  Looking at the photo, I don’t think I finished coloring my Santa… I actually embossed and colored him at a Christmas Card Class I held a couple weekends ago… my stampers learned how to achieve the soft fluffy beard using whisper white craft ink, an angled paint brush, and a little water while painting with a swirling motion.  The angled brush was a bit firmer than the aqua painter used to color in his hat… so it was easier to achieve a swirling effect on his beard and fur trimmed hat.

When I first saw the tinsel in the Holiday Mini Catalog, I thought ‘What???’ and resisted purchasing it… until I saw it in person.  The tinsel is wire based and wraps easily around brads, buttons, and cardstock… fun and easy to use!

Waffle paper was used as a background for the focal image, and of course I worked in a little zig zag and scallop trim from the timeless trim big shot die as well… take a closer peek, you’ll see it all there next to the Vintage Wallpaper Embossed Always Artichoke paper!

I really need a photographer on staff.. LOL!  You can’t really see all the sparkle and depth of design on the Always Artichoke embossed paper… after embossing it, I ran over the design with a sponge dauber and Pear Pizzaz Shimmered Ink (see the Shimmer Your Ink Pads Tutorial for more info.)

Stamps and Supplies used in today’s Creative Sketches CS04 Card Share:

Stamps:  Jolly Old St. Nick

Cardstock:  Cherry Cobbler, Always Artichoke, Crumb Cake

Inks:  Cherry Cobbler Classic Ink, Versamark, Whisper White Craft Ink

Designer Series Paper:  Deck the Halls

Big Shot Machine and Accessories:  Vintage Wallpaper Textured Embossing Folder, Timeless Trim Die

Accessories:  Deck the Halls Bigz Designer Buttons, Antique Brads, Tinsel, Waffle Paper, Black Embossing Powder, Powder Pal, Powder Tray, Heat Tool

Come play along with the Creative Sketches Design Team this week, visit the team blog and upload your sketch/theme based contribution! 

Order supplies for today’s card share at my online stampin up store!

Hugs,

Sharon

 

Pin It!

1 comment:

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

I love this. The antique brad in the button is great, and I really love the effect you got on the beard!